New TV - 50hz or 100hz?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

Looking for a new TV for my lounge. Been reading the reviews from the magazine and the forums and narrowed down to 3 choices:

* Samsung - LE40B550

* Sony Bravia KDL 40 EX503

* Samsung - UE40B7020

I'm going to use the TV for mainly sports (SD) and bluray viewing, so I'm wondering if the jump to the Sony and Samsung UE is worth it to get 100Hz motion processing?

Currys in L'boro have a Samsung LE and UE running next to each other and in terms of picture quality there is very little in it - the UE is fractionally sharper with stronger colours. I haven't see the Sony yet, but the review in last months magazine is very complementary.

Thanks,

Ian

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
I'd definitely go for the newer Sony set if you can - it's a cracking TV, and already available for less than the £900 price we quoted (John Lewis and Amazon have it for £750).

And don't forget there's currently a 'scrappage scheme' on the 2010 Sony TV range which can save you more cash.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Andy!

I phoned my local Sony Centre and they can order one in next week.

However the sales guy did say they have a deal on the KDL-40Z5800 with 200Hz (http://www.sony.co.uk/product/t32-z-series/kdl-40z5800) which they would do for the same price... would I see any difference?

Additionally, in your review you paired this with the Panasonic bluray player. Which Sony player would complement this set, I say Sony because it would be useful to just have one remote control (sad I know).

Thanks,

Ian

A

Anonymous

i have a sony bdps363 , same as s360 , you can get one for about £100 , its very good imo , i cant fault it..

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Ian140:
Thanks Andy!

I phoned my local Sony Centre and they can order one in next week.

However the sales guy did say they have a deal on the KDL-40Z5800 with 200Hz (http://www.sony.co.uk/product/t32-z-series/kdl-40z5800) which they would do for the same price... would I see any difference?

Additionally, in your review you paired this with the Panasonic bluray player. Which Sony player would complement this set, I say Sony because it would be useful to just have one remote control (sad I know).

Thanks,

Ian

The KDL-40Z5800 is last year's model, equipped with a Freesat tuner, 200Hz, web access and network streaming. You can read our review here.

But I'd stick with the newer model, and partner it with something like the new Sony BDP-S370 BD player (£170) we've just tested in our June issue.

A

Anonymous

Thank you for all the advice and information guys!

I purchased the BDP-S370 from Amazon yesterday (£134 + free bluray disc + free cable) - also bought a ThatCable HDMI lead as a starter cable.

Went to the Sony Centre at the weekend and they had a 37" EX503 running and a 40" Z5800. I watched the F1 practise in SD and rugby Sky Sports HD on both. On the Z5800 I could see dark areas in the 4 corners of the screen but the HD picture was super sharp. The EX503 looked really good, more balanced and natural pictures and handled SD better, but I wasn't getting the wow factor...

Then went to John Lewis where I looked again at the Samsung 7 & 8 series LED panels. Consistently from my perspective I find the depth of field and colours amazing on these screens LED screens.

Had a quick look in Richer Sounds at the Phillips PFL 7404, which looked really good, although I found the SD images a little soft looking.

Nicely confused now :)

cinemafan

Feb 26, 2010
Visit site
You have to remember the TVs displayed in places like the Sony centre and Currys etc are not always set up to the best combinations of picture quality or at least that is what I've realised over the last couple of visits to places like that.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts