New turntable - amp advice needed

willh

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,

I've just purchased an old Sony PS-LX2 off ebay. But with very little experience of hi-fi set up I don't know where to go next.

Is there a specific amp/pre-amp I need to look into purchasing next? I don't have one currently. I don't want to spend too much, I'm only looking at starting off cheap and learning as I go along.

Apologies for the utter naivety but I'm looking for advice as straight forward as possible.

Many thanks in advance.

willh

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
I don't have any speakers yet other than a very basic pair that are hooked up to a compact mini hi fi and a dock for an mp3 player.

At the moment I just want to get some sound from the turntable and upgrade once I've got some more money.

I really don't know what to suggest as a budget, I only spent £20 on the turntable so does that give an indication on what I should be spending on everything else?

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
willh said:
I don't have any speakers yet other than a very basic pair that are hooked up to a compact mini hi fi and a dock for an mp3 player.

At the moment I just want to get some sound from the turntable and upgrade once I've got some more money.

I really don't know what to suggest as a budget, I only spent £20 on the turntable so does that give an indication on what I should be spending on everything else?

No, not realy... Look at second hand sites and charity shops and report back on what you've found to some advice. Can't think on anything else with that kind of budget.

But with some search work from your end and help from here you'll get what you need!

D

Deleted member 108165

Not sure if your turntable has a phono pre-amp built-in or not so this needs to be checked first. If it hasn't then you'll need an amp with a phono stage, or, you can purchase one separately if need be.

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Try and source an old Nad 302 off the 'Bay, great sounding amp with a very capable phono stage. I had one for over 15 years it was that good!

Speaker wise, I am sure that others will have ideas but I found mission speakers worked well and tend to be readily available on said auction site.

willh

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. I'm taking it all on board as a complete novice.

I don't believe there is a phono pre amp so will need to take that into consideration.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

What you need:

An integrated amp with a built in phono stage.

A pair of speakers

Speaker wire/cable

With an extremely low budget like yours, you're very unlikely to get a fantastic sound, but be patient, there are bargains to be had.

I would check ebay, and look at local items to save on postage, and increase the budget for the actual items. If you find something you like the look of, do some research to see how well rated it is, and if it has all your requirements.

A few other places to try are Gumtree, Charity Shops, Recycling Centres, Car Boot Sales, and local Auctions. Yesterday I bought a pair of Wharfedale Denton 2XP speakers at a Car Boot for £3, they might not be life changers, but they're worth a damn sight more than £3. I also bought a pair of Mordaunt Short MS30 speakers for £4.50 at an Auction, which are not the worst speakers ever, though not great either.

Speaker wire wise, something like this would be more than good enough.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10m-Loud-Speaker-Cable-Oxygen-Free-OFC-4mm-532-Strand-/280936748402?pt=UK_Computing_Sound_Vision_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item4169229572

Do your research, and be patient.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Where are you based by the way?

I've found these on ebay which would be fantastic value if you could get them at anywhere near the starting price. Even the Buy It Now price isn't that bad.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/eltax-Liberty-5-FloorStanding-Speakers-/261588587514?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item3ce7e513fa

willh

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Nice idea but Milton Keynes is a bit of a journey. I'm in Derby. At least that gives me something to think about, thanks!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts