New Speakers

Jim Jams

May 13, 2008
Visit site
:dance:

Hi All

I have Roksan Kandy MKlll CD Player and RK MKlll integrated and power amps bi-amping B&W 684's. Love the sound but a move means a much smaller room and no room for the 684's anymore :cry:

Also likely that new speakers may need to go on wall brackets....

I was thinking of new B&W 685 S2's or something similar with the same electronics any suggestions though to make up a shortlist for audition?

Listen to all genres of music

thanks

JJ

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
If you say 'wall brackets', the Guru speakers may be your thing: designed to be used this way. The Juniors are in the same price league as the 684s while the QM 10 Two is about double the budget. No bi-amping though, so you can flog the power amp and spend the extra budget on the QM 10 Twos! ;)

if only I knew how they pair with Roksan...

Jim Jams

May 13, 2008
Visit site
Interesting re the Guru's and like the look of the juniors too definitley worth a look think there is a dealer in Surrey will have to go take a listen!

Thanks!

BMFDrums

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
You may be able to get a pair of PMC DB1i speakers second-hand. Fantastic little speakers, and they are available with a dedicated wall-mounting bracket, meaning no messing around with aftermarket designs. They are bi-wire capable, and sound fantastic (IMO). If you can demo some alongside the Gurus, that would probably be a good group test.

http://www.whathifi.com/review/pmc-db1i

Oh, whilst I think about it, another member (Matt49, I think) had a pair of Neat Iotas that I seem to recall he praised highly.

http://www.whathifi.com/review/neat-iota

D

Deleted member 108165

+1 for the PMC DB1. Think there are still some around but if you want black then it'll have to be the Gold version. The wall brackets are stupidly expensive though; I was recently quoted £165 a pair :O for what equates to 6 bits of tin and some nuts&bolts; I declined and sourced some generic wall brackets instead.

Happy_Listner

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Why not try out the Roksan TR-5 bookshelf speakers? They use a riboon tweeter. They would be a good synergistic match to your Roksan electronics.

Another option is the MartinLogan Motion 15 model. They use a folded motion tweeter that helps gives them a special sound. I just bought a pair and think they are great. The only issue you might have is the bass output from them. While they put out a surprising amount of bass for their size they perhaps have a little less bass than the B&W 685's you are thinking about. They are smaller. But from the mid range on up, especially into the highs, the ML 15's will be much better sounding. I compared them to the B&W CM5's and still perfered the ML 15's to them.

Lastly, if you didn't want to spend that much then try out the KEF Q300's and compare them side by side to the B&W 685 S2's.

BMFDrums

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
DougK said:
The wall brackets are stupidly expensive though; I was recently quoted £165 a pair :O for what equates to 6 bits of tin and some nuts&bolts

Doug, you are quite correct - ridiculously expensive, although I think you'll find the metal is steel, not tin :) and there are indeed only 6 bits of it, plus some nuts and bolts. Don't forget the paint and the PMC sticker, too - that price/benefit ratio is improving all the time...! I think I paid £110 for my brackets, but I was adamant that the speakers should sound absolutely the best they could given the constraints I was working with.

If the OP is concerned about a lack (or loss) of bass, I can also recommend pairing them with a sub (I have a REL R-218 ) if the space and budget allow. Although a direct comparion is not possible due to built-in wiring and other issues, the sound from my pair of DB1is + R-218 is very similar to my pair of PMC Twenty.24s. Excellent speakers!

Jim Jams

May 13, 2008
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the suggestions never thought of the TR5's either doh! Defo will try the PMC's and the Guru's also TBH probably all the suggestions!

Audition time!

JJ

D

Deleted member 108165

BMFDrums said:
although I think you'll find the metal is steel, not tin :)

A colloqial term from too many years employed in the motor vehicle manufacturing sector :) Aah, those were the days.

I really wanted those brackets too but I was not prepared to pay the silly price, so I guess I'll never find out if they sound any better or not with the dedicated brackets. I've only had the PMC's a few months but they are absolutely exquisite at low volumes and up to 80dB. But thank you for the tip - I may look into the REL at a later date, though not sure how I would connect it to my amp.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Jim Jams said:
Thanks everyone for the suggestions never thought of the TR5's either doh! Defo will try the PMC's and the Guru's also TBH probably all the suggestions!

Audition time!

JJ

Excellent! Do report back! :cheers:

damonster

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
Jim Jams said:

Audition time!

JJ
Another fan of Pmc db1i's.Amazing little speakers and lovely smooth, rich tonal qualities.I chose these over the Kef ls50.

BMFDrums

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
DougK said:
BMFDrums said:
although I think you'll find the metal is steel, not tin :)

A colloqial term from too many years employed in the motor vehicle manufacturing sector :) Aah, those were the days.
An attempt at humour on my part. Best I abandon my plans to become a stand-up comic... :oops:
DougK said:
I may look into the REL at a later date, though not sure how I would connect it to my amp.
The REL is supplied with a 10m cable that connects to the speaker terminals on your amp and has a speakon connector for the sub. Three wires connected to the amp (or speaker) binding posts, and one push-and-twist plug-in, er, plug. Simples!

BMFDrums

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Usually I say DB1is without hesitation but on wall brackets? They really need 18" from the rear wall to sound at their best IMO.
The brackets are made by PMC and there are mounting points on the speakers, so they are desgned to be used this way. I don't suffer the normal 'boundary effects' in my set-up, as the wall they are mounted on is actually a chimney breast, so isn't a 'proper wall' at all, in that the wall doesn't run into the edges of the room.
Ordinarily, I'd offer to try an alternative location, but re-mounting the speakers on another wall in the house is likely to result in a low WAF score... :)

BMFDrums said:
plastic penguin said:
Usually I say DB1is without hesitation but on wall brackets? They really need 18" from the rear wall to sound at their best IMO.
The brackets are made by PMC and there are mounting points on the speakers, so they are desgned to be used this way. I don't suffer the normal 'boundary effects' in my set-up, as the wall they are mounted on is actually a chimney breast, so isn't a 'proper wall' at all, in that the wall doesn't run into the edges of the room. Ordinarily, I'd offer to try an alternative location, but re-mounting the speakers on another wall in the house is likely to result in a low WAF score... :)

Regardless of whether PMC make brackets or not, I still would not recommend the DB1s to be mounted this way. The main reason is because the transmission line port is at the rear, and like any rear ported speaker they need a decent space to breath, otherwise the sound will become bloated.

BMFDrums

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Regardless of whether PMC make brackets or not, I still would not recommend the DB1s to be mounted this way. The main reason is because the transmission line port is at the rear, and like any rear ported speaker they need a decent space to breath, otherwise the sound will become bloated.

...And your recommendation may well be 'right'. I was only pointing out to the OP that if he wants a pair of wall-mounted speakers, then PMC DB1is are available with dedicated wall-mounting brackets, which one would hope (especially given their price!) would be well-suited for the application.

Shame on you, PP!! As an owner of a lovely pair of TB2is, you should well know that PMC speakers make use of an Advanced Transmission Line, and are not a ported design - the two are completely different! Because 'humour' does not translate very well via text alone, I should point out that I attempting to be vaguely humorous, and that the OP should (as is so often encouraged, and he appears to be planning himself) audition the speakers in an environment as close to their intended usage as possible so that he can decide whether they work for him.

BMFDrums said:
plastic penguin said:

...And your recommendation may well be 'right'. I was only pointing out to the OP that if he wants a pair of wall-mounted speakers, then PMC DB1is are available with dedicated wall-mounting brackets, which one would hope (especially given their price!) would be well-suited for the application.

Shame on you, PP!! As an owner of a lovely pair of TB2is, you should well know that PMC speakers make use of an Advanced Transmission Line, and are not a ported design - the two are completely different! Because 'humour' does not translate very well via text alone, I should point out that I attempting to be vaguely humorous, and that the OP should (as is so often encouraged, and he appears to be planning himself) audition the speakers in an environment as close to their intended usage as possible so that he can decide whether they work for him.

Humour is good, even vague levity ;) ... It is semantics, though, whether they are technically ported or not, but the fact remains that the GB1is are easier to place than the DB or TB designs, due to their Transmission Line 'opening' if you like. Trying to explain in simple terms, nothing more, nothing less.

For rear ported speakers that do work well close to the wall are Totem Arros and Ruark Sabre IIIs, out of the speakers I've heard and owned.

BMFDrums

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
[/quote]

Humour is good, even vague levity ;) ... It is semantics, though, whether they are technically ported or not, but the fact remains that the GB1is are easier to place than the DB or TB designs, due to their Transmission Line 'opening' if you like. Trying to explain in simple terms, nothing more, nothing less.

[/quote]

Levity?! Heavens, man, we'll have to crack down on that!

I hear you re: the rear 'opening' (ooooerr, missus!), and agree about the GB1is (my other pair of speakers!) - they are very easy to place. I'm just not sure I'd immediately write off the DB1i's on their dedicated brackets because of the rear ATL outlet. I hope that they are on Jim Jam's list, and eagerly await review notes, even if he decides they're not for him...

D

Deleted member 108165

"An attempt at humour on my part. Best I abandon my plans to become a stand-up comic... :oops:"

I can assure you that it was taken as it was intended :) Just don't go giving-up your day job too soon :rofl:

Many thanks for the tip regarding the REL.

Hmmm, these quoted passages are not working well for me; must try harder.

D

Deleted member 108165

plastic penguin said:

Personally I would look at closed box designs, such as Spendor or ATC, assuming you can't accommodate traditional stands.

Got my DB1's mounted on non-PMC wall brackets about 4" from the rear wall and they sound fab up to about 75dB, which is just fine for me. Ok, after 80dB they become unruly because of their positioning. They can sometimes sound sound a lttle bright on some recordings, but this is down to room acoustics - something which I intend to look at.

[/quote]

Levity?! Heavens, man, we'll have to crack down on that!

I hear you re: the rear 'opening' (ooooerr, missus!), and agree about the GB1is (my other pair of speakers!) - they are very easy to place. I'm just not sure I'd immediately write off the DB1i's on their dedicated brackets because of the rear ATL outlet. I hope that they are on Jim Jam's list, and eagerly await review notes, even if he decides they're not for him...

[/quote]

I'm bored - the PMC DB1is up to 13/14" from the wall, but any closer you'll lose imaging and the bass will sound bloomey.

Whatever I say you'll try and make a monkey out of me. If the OP likes the DB1s on brackets then I applaude him, otherwise... I told you so!

BMFDrums

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Whatever I say you'll try and make a monkey out of me. If the OP likes the DB1s on brackets then I applaude him, otherwise... I told you so!

PP, if I've caused any offence with my flippant comments, I assure you that none was intended. I just hope that Jim Jams finds something suitable, and that our comments have been useful in guiding/advising his equipment choices.

TRENDING THREADS