New Speakers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Jim Jams

May 13, 2008
Visit site
:dance:

Well wall brackets seem to create a stir ha ha!

On that note I am able to get them a good 8-10 inches along the wall away from the corner & not too high up so all is not lost!

Have to say following some listening, bearing in mind I am used to the 684's which have a massive punch and that I have not listened to much else for 5 years, that the sound and scale out of these smaller boxes was amazing and in many cases the sound was much more natural & clean maybe without quite the bass & sense if scale ,to be expected, but impressive nonetheless.

Anyway I auditioned: 685's, KEF Q300, PMC DB1 & Roksan TR-5 sadly could not get to hear the Guru Junior's as I couldn't get to one of the few places that seem to do them.

The 685's sounded very familiar obviously and really good but with something missing TBH which is difficult to put into words plus I thought on a wall they would be overbearing so having walked in thinking I would like them I was left somewhat bemused! the Q 300's to my ears were really nice but had a harshness in places I didn't like, the PMC's however were fabulous and an obvious step up with a really cohesive warm sound, I agree the positioning would need care but think they would work & finally the TR-5's which again sounded incredible with a really integrated clean sound albeit with perhaps a smidge less bass scale than the PMC's

So back and forth between the 2 I went really! both are fantastic in different ways but in the end with my electronics and bearing in mind the positioning the Roksans edged it for me but really only just.

Really interesting process, budget decimated & lots of music to play !

Thanks for all the advice

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Hey Jim,

Excellent news!

To be frank, I had never heard of the TR-5. I've had a look now, and they do look nice, indeed. I guess there's a lot to like with a well integrated ribbon tweeter...

Enjoy! :cheers:

BMFDrums

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Hi, Jim Jams

Great to hear that you have found some speakers that you like. I hope that the previous posts were useful in generating your short-list, and that you really enjoy your new purchases.

Just out of interest, where did you buy them from?

Thanks!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts