New speaker cables

TKratz

Jun 13, 2008
Visit site
I am soon going to move and need new speaker cables.

I have been keeping up, and therefore hope for your advise. I will unfortunately not be able to test the cable.

My system is:

- B&W XT series

- Yamaha DSP-Z7

- Oppo BDP-83SE

I love my system which is warm, expansive and very rich in the sound. It is however also on the 'dark' side, putting emphasis on low frequencies.

The speaker cables should not 'encourage' these tendencies, but rather harshen up the sound a bit, putting more focus on the treble.

Would Chord Company Carnival Silver Screen be a good choice? Seems to be an excellent alround cable.

alan harknett

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Possibly Chord or my favorite at the moment Tellurium q blacks but really you should loan some from the nearest hi fi store and try them out as cables make such a change to the overall presentation and are as personal as speaker choice IMO.

TKratz

Jun 13, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Allan and David for your advice.

Sorry for this late feedback, I didn't realise anyone had responded to my thread.

David, you have a lot of experience in matching equipment. I would very much appreciate if you could put in a little more words what led you to recommend the Chord Rumour II cables?

A

Anonymous

Sorry to hi jack this thread but having trouble getting an answer for my query. I am about to purchase some van damme UP LFOC cable I would like to know what size speaker cable I need.

To run the cable to the rears it will be 7m, will the 2.5mm/14awg be enough or the 4mm/12awg?

I have looked at the manual for my tannoys and it states the nominal impedance is 8 ohms and according to http://www.audioholics.com/education/cables/speaker-cable-gauge

this would give me a run of 35-60ft @ 8 ohms but only 18-30ft @ 4ohms please note I am only copying this stuff here and do not actually know what any of it means.

If some of the true experts could help me out deciding what size cable i need that would be great.

iceman16

+1 for Tellurium Q black. I've replaced my Chord epic supertwin with the TQ black and they sound superb(in my system of course). Just google some of their dealers and ask if you can have a pair to demo at home(which I did).:)

michael hoy

Luvdubz said:
Sorry to hi jack this thread but having trouble getting an answer for my query. I am about to purchase some van damme UP LFOC cable I would like to know what size speaker cable I need.

To run the cable to the rears it will be 7m, will the 2.5mm/14awg be enough or the 4mm/12awg?

I have looked at the manual for my tannoys and it states the nominal impedance is 8 ohms and according to http://www.audioholics.com/education/cables/speaker-cable-gauge

this would give me a run of 35-60ft @ 8 ohms but only 18-30ft @ 4ohms please note I am only copying this stuff here and do not actually know what any of it means.

If some of the true experts could help me out deciding what size cable i need that would be great.

The 2.5 should be enough for your rears, but it would not hurt to run 4mm, just slightly more expensive.

I run 4mm van damme UP LFOC to all my speakers, rears are 14 meter runs.

TKratz said:
I am soon going to move and need new speaker cables.

I have been keeping up, and therefore hope for your advise. I will unfortunately not be able to test the cable.

My system is:

- B&W XT series

- Yamaha DSP-Z7

- Oppo BDP-83SE

I love my system which is warm, expansive and very rich in the sound. It is however also on the 'dark' side, putting emphasis on low frequencies.

The speaker cables should not 'encourage' these tendencies, but rather harshen up the sound a bit, putting more focus on the treble.

Would Chord Company Carnival Silver Screen be a good choice? Seems to be an excellent alround cable.

Hi TKratz

What speaker cables are you currrently using?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

TKratz

Jun 13, 2008
Visit site
Hi Rick

My current cables are nothing special. I don't even remember which brand.

I have for a long time just looked for the right opportunity to change them.

As mentioned earlier, I will unfortunately probably not be able to test the cables. Checking the Danish Hifi stores, the only brands available locally seems to be Audioquest, QED, Supra and Van den Hul, and since there is no big tradition for lending cables, I might as well order online.

Hi TKratz

Thanks for your reply.

I'll recommend standard 500 strand OFC speaker cable. I believe these cables will offer you the balance which you're after and i also feel their overall quality will be more than good enough for your components. Fwiw, some of the AV amplification i use/used these speaker cables with include Yamaha's DSP-Z7/DSP-Z11, Chord Electronics SPM3005 and Plinius Odean.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

TKratz

Jun 13, 2008
Visit site
I have one more late follow up question.

I have heard (but again unfortunately not tested myself) that silver in the cable will brighten up the sound.

Is this complete rubbish, or is there some truth in it?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts