New PMC Fact Fenestria

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I have been looking closely at the pics and they see to have an open baffle midrange and tweeter combined with the latest type of PMC ATL, I have never seen this combination before, I bet they sound stunningly real .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYX_nHm4tSA

I really want to hear a pair even though I can't afford them . *man_in_love*

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
that's a very personal question CNo :)
I couldn't say haven't heard either enough to make a big call like that. I have been listening to a lot of good HiFi

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
ellisdj said:
I am still out in Munich. so can't really say much but they have lovely clean mid range and really nice colour to the sound. Wait for the video for the rest :)

Also known as "the loudspeaker you will never hear"...

But they are coloured?
Maybe they will fair better once you've modified the legs

You could also put them up against the Monitor Audio Platinum 500s at £15k, which are actually bigger than the PMCs! I would expect the PMCs to comfortably outperform them though, given their price. It’ll be interesting to see what sort of amplification they need.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I said the sound had nice colour - by that I mean a full sound that I really appreciate.
full sound to vocals is what I mean. very solid and very clean.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
ellisdj said:
I said the sound had nice colour - by that I mean a full sound that I really appreciate. full sound to vocals is what I mean. very solid and very clean.

I'm glad you cleared that up *biggrin* , I had a little panic attack when you first said the sound had nice colour.

I had visions of my Dad saying his radiogram had a nice tone. *shok*

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
So you would prefer it if they were the speakers you never see rather than hear PP .*biggrin*

It's funny how people like the look of different things, I think the Fenestria's look stunning , a sort of traditional / sci fi hybrid .

If I owned a pair my eyes would be closed when listening anyway . *i-m_so_happy*

Electro said:
So you would prefer it if they were the speakers you never see rather than hear PP .*biggrin*

It's funny how people like the look of different things, I think the Fenestria's look stunning , a sort of traditional / sci fi hybrid .

If I owned a pair my eyes would be closed when listening anyway . *i-m_so_happy*
They might be a bit like mine in that they look better in the flesh/wood than in pictures. The PMCs don’t make me go ‘wow’ at the looks, but I’m sure they have an interesting take on the sound.

More generally, there seem to be a huge number of these ‘statement’ speakers coming out, yet the demand must be in the tens.

D

Deleted member 108165

plastic penguin said:
Those 45k speaker are as ugly as f##k. I'm sure they sound mind blowing... but to live with that design, you'll have to be blind, deaf or a complete air head. They are aweful in the extreme to look at. This is coming from a PMC devotee.

I must be and air-head then as I think they look gorgeous *smile*

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
If I had the money, system and room size to have them, I would walk through the door and vomit everywhere. 

Perhaps I just like traditional styles, those PMCs are... 

:D

But I love their modern SciFi look. Easier to convince customers, that there's loads of new tech lurking underneath with a take like that .

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Has mentioned a speaker at £45000 using 6inch drivers?

Law of physics aside.
Surely if you can afford this then there are much better options about.
As for looks they have copied dynaudio

The bass drivers look a lot like Cambridge audio areo speakers.

Speaker tech has not advanced much so this to me is nothing more than a lifestyle products aimed at the rich as a statement product.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
+ 1

for those really wanting to underline their status burmester bc350s and pair of monoblocks as bare minimum..

being passive these must produce horrid upper bass as there’s no deep bass out of these tiny drivers.. signature product for small rooms maybe?

They're certainly more "lifestyle" than the likes of their big MB and BB speakers which have more in common with studio speakers, but hardly lifetyle in the sense of something that is completely style over substance. Bass drivers above and below the MF/HF section is quite a common design, with many high end speaker brands taking this route, even down to budget stuff.

I'm going to refrain from commenting on sound quality until I get to hear them, which I hope might be the Cranage Hall show next month. Being very familiar with KEF Blades, I'm very interested to see what PMC can do with a more visually acceptable box...

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
I'm going to preface this by saying that I have no doubt whatsoever that these are extremely fine sounding speakers, but I have to agree with Mr Penguin, they are not the most attractive speakers I've ever seen. PMC have, in my opinion, form with their more expensive products, the domestic speakers are fantastic but the expensive ones look awful, I know this shouldn't be a major concern for most audiophiles but I would be unhappy if I'd forked out a huge wad of cash only to end up with something that looks like that, at least KEF tried something slightly different with the blades.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
When they demo them they will play the usual 'audiophille lack of taste' tracks that make any speaker with quality amplification sound good.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Shift a few units:
They also feature PMC's trademark transmission line bass-loading technology and Formula 1-inspired twin Laminair vents. Sounds like £45,000 well spent.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I think they look awesome, and I will have their video up later today - going to be my first one so you can see them in action

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Shift a few units: They also feature PMC's trademark transmission line bass-loading technology and Formula 1-inspired twin Laminair vents. Sounds like £45,000 well spent.

Oliver Thomas worked for the Red Bull F1 team working on the electronic control of engines including software before deciding to join his father at PMC, so he knows a bit about F1 technology !

https://techfruit.com/2018/02/02/interview-oliver-thomas-british-speaker-pioneers-pmc/

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts