My new speakers - random thoughts.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
I have already posted these thoughts on AVi's own forum. I am not Indian or Irish, nor do I keep bees.

Nor is it a "review" in the strictest sense. I can't do those as I haven't been to "Hi-fi review school".

Anyway...

Ok, so we moved house...The ADM9T are still doing a fine job as computer speakers...I do wonder what percentage of people have better speakers in use only for when they are sitting logged on remotely to work, messing with Photoshop or just browsing the web mind you
smile.png

Anyway, the new house has in-wall 5.1...so my Dali Ikon 6 speakers which had filled part of that duty were moved into the small part of the L shaped living room, for pure listening...and they were paired with my old Arcam A80 amp. In all honesty, for 80% of the time, this is a magical combination. I loved and still love the sound I get from them...especially the treble from the dual tweeter setup...To some ears it sounds rather forward, but to mine, like bliss served with champagne in a high-end restaurant. A soundstage to die for and an almost ethereal quality that gave me goosebumps…
until I was left alone and wanted to turn the volume up...unfortunately, a mixture of the Arcam lacking ultimate oomph, and the Dalis lacking composure in the bass at higher volumes meant that the occasions when I really wanted to let go, I couldn’t.

So, upgradeitis set in… I started looking at replacement speakers, and then amps...my budget (to be funded by a motorbike sale) was hitting over £4000 in UK money.

So in a flash of sense, I ordered the ADM9 RS and sub from Avi. Correction, from my arch nemesis, Ashley James.

We’ve had our rows, he’s had access to the delete button…
And as has been said a million times before, if everyone who argued on an internet forum got together, in a pub, they’d probably get on like a burning summer house…

So in the end, and not wanting to spite my face and cut my nose off, I thought...what the heck?

ANYWAY.

First impressions…
Packaging… Like an inflatable ball you roll down a hill in...no chance of damage….:)
Walnut...Yummy...GREAT choice…
smile.png

Sound...
To be honest, I was a little disappointed. They boomed. Yes, boomed. Eh, what? Anyway a bit of fiddling with positioning and toe-in, and the boom had gone.
They have been boom-free since I must add.

But the point being, they reach far lower than the 9Ts. Any doubts some had of lack of bass should really be put to bed now. I have been playing music for around 7 or 8 hours in total now and have not once even thought about trying my BK sub. Yes, for some of my bass-heavy electronica and dance music, they miss that final kick in the chest, but for 90% of music, the sub may not even be necessary. But of course, I know how a sub can add that final warmth, and I am very, I repeat VERY much looking forward to my second delivery in December. Some lipstick and a dash of foundation and it might even look presentable to a wife!

So, impressions so far?
Well, I will get the slightly negative news out of the way first...I obviously like a more pronounced treble. I preferred the Dalis over the 9Ts in this area, and I still prefer them over the RS.
The RS treble is incredibly sweet and detailed and smooth, better than the 9T, but for my hearing (which as tested recently starts to drop at 8 KHz (I can still hear up to 15 KHz, but need more oomph), the Dalis are preferable (to me).

Everything else, the ADMs take the fight to the Dalis with a fist of fury. The bass, as mentioned, digs deeper than it ought to have any rights to. The clarity is there, the soundstage is there, the lack of sibilance or distortion at higher volumes.
Trying some of my bass-test tracks, not a flinch, where the Dalis crumble at anything like a volume that would likely disturb the kids in bed.
Where the Dali and Arcam pair are like a pair of comfy slippers to be worn with Horlicks and a pipe, the RS are like a high class hooker that dares you go that little further...Turn me on, turn me up and PARTY! (I must mention that I have never partaken of any such immoral acts by the way, it just seemed a fitting analogy) - But it isn’t ALL party...they can give you the girlfriend experience too…
The Dalis do however better the ADMs at very low volume imo, and in fact from my personal perspective, most floorstanding speakers better most standmounts at low volume in this regard.
But it’s an irrelevance, the ADMs are as good as any standmount I have heard, and in most regards other than outright bass, floorstanders too. (I would still jump at a chance at a pair of 800Ds and a good amp had I the space and the money mind you).

What do they do well? Well, everything in all honesty. What don’t they? … Bad recordings are bad. They won’t pretty them up like a pair of £100 Wharfedales might, but then that isn’t what it’s about.
What do they do exceptionally then? Vocals...I have listened to an inordinate amount of female vocals in the last 2 days and they are just...perfect.
Anything that requires sudden and short increases of volume, snare drums for instance, are rendered accurately and with precision.

Do I like them? Yes. Any regrets? No.

Conclusion...A little bit more setting up regarding positioning than the 9Ts, but pretty forgiving.
Play anything well, at any volume...They would probably drown out a space shuttle launch if you so desired (and remain distortion free in the process).
Extremely smooth treble, not a hint of harshness.
Do they need a sub? For most music, I’d say no, but I am guessing a sub will just be the icing on a fruit cake, baked my my dear departed grandma…(They were AWESOME!)

Anyway, final review in December, when the system is whole…
smile.png

I must add, I don't think there is a cat in hell's chance of doing any better for the money, short of being an expert engineer and going DIY!
(unless you like wardrobes, the smell of mothballs, and lumpy bass)

Further thoughts, not included "over there".

I do not agree with AJ's assertion that passives all boom and tizz. IMO that is nonsense, although there are a few that have this character. My existing setup was excellent, and there are many on this forum who no doubt have excellent set-ups, many of which I may prefer to mine.

I think I could possibly have found a better overall sound had I spent my £4500. But I might not have, and as has been demonstrated countless times, Í could easily have got itchy wallet syndrome again within a few months. And besides, I have a sub to follow soon, which will raise the bar again...;)

I have no problem that these speakers are continually upgraded...It makes sense for both the manufacturer and consumer. Ultimately, differences are rarely night and day anyway.

In the end we are all different. Some people prefer the warm sound of valve amps, or the cosy sound of 15" woofers and horns, or the analogue distortion of vinyl. Nobody is right or wrong ultimately if we are talking about personal preference.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
fr0g said:

Turn me on, turn me up and PARTY! (I must mention that I have never partaken of any such immoral acts by the way, it just seemed a fitting analogy) - But it isn’t ALL party...

What immoral acts? Using 'party' as a verb? That's a crime indeed.

Seriously... superb review.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the comments. Yes, very happy, and hoping to be even happier when the sub arrives.

I'll still be condescending of ridiculous claims, on either side of the fence, but in the end, everyone (almost) who posts here, and on any other Hi-fi forum, is essentially after the same thing.

Sarcastic put downs and any "us v them attitude" should be left to people who feel they have a real axe to grind, and essentially, ignored.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
jonathanRD said:
Out of interest what are the dimensions of the L shaped part of your room, how far away are you sitting from the speakers, and how much space is around them (from the walls)?

I am about 3 metres away. It's around 4 m by 5m

They are about 6 inches away from the wall, although it's curved and full of windows.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
fr0g said:
jonathanRD said:
Out of interest what are the dimensions of the L shaped part of your room, how far away are you sitting from the speakers, and how much space is around them (from the walls)?

I am about 3 metres away. It's around 4 m by 5m

They are about 6 inches away from the wall, although it's curved and full of windows.

Interesting - my room is also 4m x 5m and I'm about 3m away. These speakers may well be an option for me when I am ready to upgrade.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
jonathanRD said:
Interesting - my room is also 4m x 5m and I'm about 3m away. These speakers may well be an option for me when I am ready to upgrade.

I'm about 4 metres away in a 5 x 8 metre room. They easily fill it.

JMacMan

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Great Review Sir... :grin:

Kinda confirms what I always thought, that underneath all the hype and 'worlds best speakers regardless of price' attitude, the AVI's represent great sound and excellent value for money.

Well done, and enjoy..

Hope your other Xmas present comes soon, and I look forward to further comments

Good to hear that Ash can forgive and forget - I think I still have a blunt axe sticking out my back unfortunately....lol...

All the best

JMac... :cheers:

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Cheers Jon.

To be honest, I just try to live and let live. I have my moments, but keeping a grudge for anything less than a serious physical assault, to me seems a bit silly.

Had I a lot more cash, I might have auditioned the B&O, but that's playing in a whole different price-league.

JMacMan

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
fr0g said:
Cheers Jon.

To be honest, I just try to live and let live. I have my moments, but keeping a grudge for anything less than a serious physical assault, to me seems a bit silly.

Had I a lot more cash, I might have auditioned the B&O, but that's playing in a whole different price-league.

I'll be very interested to hear your thoughts with the addition of the sub Frog, as like you, for the sorts of music and film that I listen to and watch, something that will give a solid 20hz in room is de rigeur - it adds the final piece to the musical reproduction jigsaw IMHO.

I also agree totally about grudges, live and let live, and I never hold a grudge against anyone, - the door is always left open to any friendships that drift, or perhaps where there has been a disagreement, - unless there has been serious physical violence or other harmful acts committed etc as you say.

It'll be interesting to hear how the new/forthcoming DM5's go, and I wish AVI well with them.

Looking forward to the sub review shortly!

Best Wishes

JMac
smiley-cool.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts