New Panasonic 50GT50 - what settings did you use at WHFSS?

stevegwoods

Jan 14, 2008
Visit site
smiley-frown.gif
: WHFSS team - Apologies if this has already been posted, but I have just purchased a Pana 50GT50, and would like your guidance on the any picture settings you arrived at as being the best when your review was conducted. The picture straight out of the box is not showing the wonderful quality that seems to be expected from this set so I'm looking to make use of your experience. Also happy to consider owners who are experienced in setting up this TV.

I'll be running it predominantly with my SKY HD box plus DVD & Blu Ray.

thanks!

A

Anonymous

I'm having the same issue. I've tried THX (which other sites have recommended) and tried various tweaks, but the picture is much worse than my previous set (a 4 year old 46" Panasonic). My wife is very disappointed as well, and she doesn't normally comment on picture quality. The colours seem to be oversaturated and the pictures look very flat. This is primarily with Sky HD.

Hopefully the picture will improve with "run-in" but not at all happy at the moment. Could there be something wrong with the set?

A

Anonymous

I'm having the same issue. I've tried THX (which other sites have recommended) and tried various tweaks, but the picture is much worse than my previous set (a 4 year old 46" Panasonic). My wife is very disappointed as well, and she doesn't normally comment on picture quality. The colours seem to be oversaturated and the pictures look very flat. This is primarily with Sky HD.

Hopefully the picture will improve with "run-in" but not at all happy at the moment. Could there be something wrong with the set?

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
I would suggest at the very least do a basic calibration using the THX Optimiser, explained here (you will find a list of certified THX discs listed on the linked THX website at the bottom of the page).

There is a problem setting the contrast on a plasma screen using the Optimiser, though, as the white panels don’t bleed in to each other. However, a fellow – and very helpful – forum member, Oldboy, worked out a solution which I have copied and pasted below from another post:

“The work-around for setting contrast via the THX Optimiser was something I worked out for myself, it's not come from any source other than my own experience of calibrating a plasma tv with it. I just got frustrated that it was so difficult to get the contrast set with it so I worked out what I was looking for was really just the brightest box on the pattern, you pretty much ignore the others until you get that box at it's brightest without being over bearing then adjust it by a few notches whilst looking at the other boxes so that the shades are consistent.
It's not easy though and often still requires a little adjustment whilst watching a movie to get it to look more natural where as the AVS HD gets it much more accurate on a plasma tv”.

I didn’t use the Optimiser to calibrate my own TV, but it’s a very good place to start.

To set the colour you will need a blue filter. You can order a pair of Optimiser glasses from the THX website, or alternatively you can order a Lee Tokyo Blue filter here which should do the
same job.
Hope this helps.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Great advice from Sizzers there so use that info for a basic calibration with the THX optimiser, this is what WHF use to set up EVERY tv they review so you know you are going to be watching the same quality image after calibration.

What i will say is that both myself and Sizzers got a much better result with our GT30 tvs by using the free AVS 709 HD calibration tool which is open source, free to download and needs to be copied to a dvd disc in order to use. Yes it sounds complicated but it really isn't as full step by step instructions are there to hold your hand.

If you want to have a look the go here for full information on how to download and burn to disc:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/948496/avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration

It's a far more accurate way of getting the tv calibrated and includes some videos on what to do with the various test patterns on the disc once you have copied it. Of course a THX calibration is a good place to start but do bear in mind that as Sizzers has already pointed out you will still need a pair of blue filter glasses to set the colour with both methods.

Hope that helps.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts