Samsung PS60F5500

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Thought I'd post a short review, although I hate doing them.

I had a Phillips 50" 21:9 TV which is the best TV ive owned its a really classy product and the USPs of 21:9 ratio and Ambilight are excellent.
However, TVs are my big weakness, and I'm of the view that the bigger the better. I've been umming and erring over a 65" Panasonic for ages, but £2.5k on a TV is a lot.
So this 60" Samsung came on for under a grand, so what the hell.

First off, its massive. I didn't appreciate just how big it would be in my room.
The big weak point is, it is very reflective, when its turned off looks like a massive black mirror, but apart from this the picture is amazing. I didn't realise it would be quite as good. I've watched a couple of Blu rays and they've been stunning. It's a plasma and was great straight out of the box, with previous lcds, I've had to fiddle with pic settings to get the balance between motion and smearing.
The sound is pretty good too, perfectly ok for watching TV. My previous samsung was one of those ultra thin lcds and it sounded shocking.
It's the first Smart TV, I've experienced that is actually smart. My broadband s been down this weekend so I've not had loads of time to play. It has apps for Lovefilm, Netflix, blinkbox, Spotify etc etc streams movies through it too (not signed up yet). It also has a web browser and Facebook/twitter. It's wireless too.
It comes with two remotes. I've just kept the normal one. The other is one of those touch sensitive ones and it has Siri type voice control.
There is also an app that let's you use your iPad as a keyboard for the TV. You can also send TV to your iPad so you can continue watching if you're out of the room.

It's only been a few days, but so far I'm really impressed. You do get a lot for your money nowadays.
The Phillips is strictly the better TV but I'm happy.

Also, this might means me rethinking a PJ. I only sit about 8 foot away so its pretty immersive.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
I'm not as up-to-speed as I thought I was, I'd not heard of this particular Samsung model.

richardw42 said:
The big weak point is, it is very reflective, when its turned off looks like a massive black mirror, but apart from this the picture is amazing

I'm glad you like the picture! But really, show me a big television that isn't like a mirror when switched off!

richardw42 said:
You do get a lot for your money nowadays.

Also, this might means me rethinking a PJ. I only sit about 8 foot away so its pretty immersive.

Yes, you've certainly got a lot more for your grand than my £1,400 did five years ago for my 42" Pioneer PDP428XD!

Yes, from only 8' away it will look pretty big so maybe no need for a projector. If later you do decide to try for a projector, make sure that you find out what the projector's minimum distance is.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
CCheers

re. the PJ. It would be in a bigger room. The throw would be 15-16 ft which should give me a pic of 100-110 inches. I've not looked at specific projectors yet.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts