New old taste in music

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I am a hairy old man in my very late 50's ( 60 next Feb *shok* ) but not only do I like a lot of the music I grew up with I find myself really liking new types and styles of music that I discover everyday made by people that are younger than my kids.

Am I normal or is their something seriously wrong with me, it's like I have been waiting for this type of new music all my life, it makes older music styles sound boring to me.

This is the latest album I have found that really excites me, what do you old gits here think of it? Is it
thumbs_up.png
or
thumbs_down.png

Wildhart - Shine .

https://open.spotify.com/album/3ahoMCzBvg7DAQUT3948xm

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Electro said:
I am a hairy old man in my very late 50's ( 60 next Feb *shok* ) but not only do I like a lot of the music I grew up with I find myself really liking new types and styles of music that I discover everyday made by people that are younger than my kids.

Am I normal or is their something seriously wrong with me, it's like I have been waiting for this type of new music all my life, it makes older music styles sound boring to me.

This is the latest album I have found that really excites me, what do you old gits here think of it? Is it or .

Wildhart - Shine .

I love 'new' music, whether it is new or old, I like to mix it up.

My 'Recently played' file includes Zero 7 and Warszawa among others, some very new jazz recomended by Vlad and some early, pre-electic Herbie Hancock.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Electro said:

This is the latest album I have found that really excites me, what do you old gits here think of it? Is it or .

Wildhart - Shine .

hi Electro,

Im not an old fart yet, 42, but guess I soon will be.

But I think it's bloody cool that you are into new music, and have an open mind, because there are lots of boring old farts like many on the hi fi wigwam that play the same rehashed music time and time again. I sometimes find it difficult to put effort into listening to new stuff, but the more you do the more you find great stuff And you get out. but I've found some great artists who are either new or have great albums in 2017. From public Service broadcasting, to Japanese breakfast, Agnes Obel, Juanita Stein, cigarettes after sex, alt j, Tosca etc.

im listening to your selection. She sounds like the Japanese lady from little dragon, and I'd recommend the track 'scribbled paper' and 'to binge' she does with Damon Albarn of gorillaz.

But I just think the thing with music, is so long as if you really get the melody or structure and what really appeals, you get more and more from new stuff and it matters not its a new style etc. it is nice to listen to what is modern and contemporary as if you listen to stuff from an old time, it has its time mark on the music. Music is much more alternative nowadays, not conforming to styles, but these old stuck in their ways old farts are still into a set style, and they cannot transpose the melody of a new unfamiliar genre or new style to them liking it, just as music and for music sake. Mad really. A bit like if classical musical came out now and not liking Mozart for the melody because the track has no rock vocal or it has violins they don't like??

mond

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Don't forget the late and very great John Peel, he was a great champion of "young" music all his career. Yes he played old music as well, but was invariably playing something from the latest fabulous new things, but generally of the more alternative variety. He was a great inspiration to me and my listening choices back then. Enjoy what every you like, you shouldn't only have to listen to the music of your generation (I have met people like that). I quite like a few of the newer songs coming through myself at the moment.......

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
QuestForThe13thNote said:
hi Electro,

But I think it's bloody cool that you are into new music, and have an open mind, because there are lots of boring old farts like many on the hi fi wigwam that play the same rehashed music time and time again. I sometimes find it difficult to put effort into listening to new stuff, but the more you do the more you find great stuff And you get out. but I've found some great artists who are either new or have great albums in 2017. From public Service broadcasting, to Japanese breakfast, Agnes Obel, Juanita Stein, cigarettes after sex, alt j, Tosca etc.

im listening to your selection. She sounds like the Japanese lady from little dragon, and I'd recommend the track 'scribbled paper' and 'to binge' she does with Damon Albarn of gorillaz.

But I just think the thing with music, is so long as if you really get the melody or structure and what really appeals, you get more and more from new stuff and it matters not its a new style etc. it is nice to listen to what is modern and contemporary as if you listen to stuff from an old time, it has its time mark on the music. Music is much more alternative nowadays, not conforming to styles, but these old stuck in their ways old farts are still into a set style, and they cannot transpose the melody of a new unfamiliar genre or new style to them liking it, just as music and for music sake. Mad really. A bit like if classical musical came out now and not liking Mozart for the melody because the track has no rock vocal or it has violins they don't like??

Still banging on about the WAM? Get over it. As for music, it's not your place to lecture about what folks should listen to. Folks like what they like, which is as it should be.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Freddy58 said:
QuestForThe13thNote said:
hi Electro,

Still banging on about the WAM? Get over it. As for music, it's not your place to lecture about what folks should listen to. Folks like what they like, which is as it should be.

i have 'got over it' whatever that means. And I'm not lecturing anyone . Im using the Royal 'you' figuratively and offering an opinion.

I just listened to this guitar guy recommended on the wam, and its all about style and has no structure and melody to it. It was really quite boring, but it is about 30 years old I think. Some chap ad hocking a guitar for an hour. Yawn...

Gaz37

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
I do like some new music but also get bored trawling through the crap to find good stuff.
A new one to me was recommended by the OP that being Dead Can Dance

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Hmm. If I was an adolescent girl I'd probably like it. When I was younger chicks were listening to this sort of hazy emo folky electropoppy postrock indie stuff. M-Ward, Belle and Sebastian, Sigur Ros, now Lorde etc.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Hmm. If I was an adolescent girl I'd probably like it. When I was younger chicks were listening to this sort of hazy emo folky electropoppy postrock indie stuff. M-Ward, Belle and Sebastian, Sigur Ros, now Lorde etc.

Kinda makes sence I supose many people have said I can be a bit of a girl somtimes *biggrin*

I love the touchy feely emotional stuff especially with unusual female voices.

The compressorhead is f....ing brilliant *good*

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Electro said:
Vladimir said:

Kinda makes sence I supose many people have said I can be a bit of a girl somtimes *biggrin*

I love the touchy feely emotional stuff especially with unusual female voices.

I lack the emotional intelligence for that sort of complex multilayered genre. I keep it simple or else ADD kicks in.

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
Electro you defy a bit a stigma that music is universal. Actual it is not so. Although you like new styles and are yourself about 60 it is a wonderful exception confirming the rules. Music is not universal. It is strongly connected to our generations and deeply rooted into our brains and hearts. When you're generation X or were growing in 60s or 70s you are much more likely dispell 90s grunge era etc ( for example ). Music is strongly associated with growing and getting mature. Of course the older we get the more music from different decades we appreciate - but generally - particular music decades are assigned to different generations.

cse

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
I think it's a bit dull if you still mostly listen to,rock and pop into your late 50's. Surely by then any man of intellect would find it ultimately facile and unrewarding. I was bored by most of it by my late 20's and gravitated towards classical. I've been a classical fan ever sinse and when I return to music of my youth, soon tire of it quickly. Firstly it's nice to listen to music without trite lyrics. Secondly music that is essentially abstract. Thirdly music that is extended beyond the average 3 to 5 minutes. Fourthly music that is not about repeated patterns and rhymes. And lastly music that is ultimately more profound. An example of this is after having attended a few proms concerts recently I went to a concert of a former 10cc member doing an acoustic set. It was just so fatiguing to to have applause every 3 mins and listen to a tiresome anecdote about the origin of the song. It was mildly interesting but as an experience paled into insignificance compared to Mahler 2. The previous evening. It was as if a reader of serious literature was suddenly only allowed to consume comics forever more.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
cse said:
I think it's a bit dull if you still mostly listen to,rock and pop into your late 50's. Surely by then any man of intellect would find it ultimately facile and unrewarding. I was bored by most of it by my late 20's and gravitated towards classical. I've been a classical fan ever sinse and when I return to music of my youth, soon tire of it quickly. Firstly it's nice to listen to music without trite lyrics. Secondly music that is essentially abstract. Thirdly music that is extended beyond the average 3 to 5 minutes. Fourthly music that is not about repeated patterns and rhymes. And lastly music that is ultimately more profound. An example of this is after having attended a few proms concerts recently I went to a concert of a former 10cc member doing an acoustic set. It was just so fatiguing to to have applause every 3 mins and listen to a tiresome anecdote about the origin of the song. It was mildly interesting but as an experience paled into insignificance compared to Mahler 2. The previous evening. It was as if a reader of serious literature was suddenly only allowed to consume comics forever more.

I bet it's a right laugh in your house....

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
cse said:

I evaluate all music by how it makes me feel, so the emotional content of a song is far more important to me rather than the cerebral.

I tend to prefer music played by people who put their heart and soul into the music no matter what genre it may be, this includes classical music .

The main thing thats puts me off classical music is the snobbery that surrounds some composers.

insider9

Electro said:
cse said:
I think it's a bit dull if you still mostly listen to,rock and pop into your late 50's. Surely  by then any man of intellect would find it ultimately facile and unrewarding. I was bored by most of it by my late 20's and gravitated towards classical. I've been a classical fan ever sinse and when I return to music of my youth, soon tire of it quickly. Firstly it's nice to listen to music without trite lyrics. Secondly music that is essentially abstract. Thirdly music that is extended beyond the average 3 to 5 minutes. Fourthly music that is not about repeated patterns and rhymes. And lastly music that is ultimately more profound. An example of this is after having attended a few proms concerts recently I went to a concert of a former 10cc member doing an acoustic set. It was just so fatiguing to to have applause every 3 mins and listen to a tiresome anecdote about the origin of the song. It was mildly interesting but as an experience paled into insignificance compared to Mahler 2. The previous evening. It was as if a reader of serious literature was suddenly only allowed to consume comics forever more. 

I evaluate all music by how it makes me feel, so the emotional content of a song is far more important to me rather than the cerebral.

I tend to prefer music played by people who put their heart and soul into the music no matter what genre it may be, this includes classical music .

The main thing thats puts me off classical music is the snobbery that surrounds some composers.
Same here.

When I was in a band 20 years ago while recording I asked a friend of mine, a classically trained musician, to play a few fillers on one of the tracks. The track was an unplugged rock ballad and I though that oboe would sound interesting as it would be something different. She played with philharmonic orchestra from an early age so wasn't lacking in skill.

She agreed and asked me to provide her sheets with music so she could practice. I explained that I wasn't after anything specific and any improvisation would suffice. In fact the lesser my input in what she'd do the more interesting the end product would be. We could do it in several takes and it was not an issue. I offered to jam first with just a guitar and vocals in a control room. She froze and wouldn't know what to say to that. We decided that it would be best not to record anything.

This really surprised me and shows how big of a difference there can be between an artist and a performer. Even though neither of us ever had any training and we were technically inferior we had no constraints of any kind. We played what felt right not what was expected of us or written somewhere.

Not generalising here just saying I'd rather listen to a emotional song not done 100% technically than a technical masterpiece with no or little feeling.

Pedro

May 31, 2016
Visit site
cse said:

I can relate. I'm 40 and I always have listened to classical music. Some 15 years ago I considered myself ecletic, because I listened to all kinds of different music genres, like jazz, blues, metal, world music, rock, electro, darkwave, etc. Nowadays maybe 90% of the time I listen to classical and I get bored pretty quickly with most of rock and pop. It's an never-ending repetition of the same clichés and ultra-simple music ideas...

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
cse said:
Not surprised by most of the phillistine responses. Not sure what is meant by the 'snobbery of some composers'. I don't believe that composers can be intrinsically snobs. I think if you listened to Mahler 2 a few times you would change and broaden your mind forever. Also, to suggest that classical composition might lack emotional content, is surely missing the point. Mayweather against Mcgregor comes to mind.

I wasn't suggesting for a moment that certain composers themselves were snobs, I was talking about the people who judge others if they don't care to listen to them .

Music without emotion and feeling of any type that does not communicate with my inner self is of little or no use to me.

That said I do enjoy the music of Cyril Scott it has all the ingredients I need and much more .

cse

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
Not surprised by most of the phillistine responses. Not sure what is meant by the 'snobbery of some composers'. I don't believe that composers can be intrinsically snobs. I think if you listened to Mahler 2 a few times you would change and broaden your mind forever. Also, to suggest that classical composition might lack emotional content, is surely missing the point. Mayweather against Mcgregor comes to mind.

I think once classical music grips you it's very hard to go back to rock/pop. Sure you can have a few fleeting moments, maybe in the car or on the move, of nostalgia. But this usually leaves a bitter taste and you soon long to return to a world of beauty and emotional depth unsurpassed in the amplified world of instant gratification. The masters Monteverdi, Mozart, Beethoven, Brahms, Mahler, Shostakovich, Britten et al offer you a lifetime of listening pleasure both on record and in the concert hall. You will be moved to tears and plummet the depths of of your soul and feel a re erfirment of the human spirit every time you take the time to stop doing anything else and just sit and listen in quiet rapture.

cse

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
I'd be interested to know what music you've listened to that didn't possess emotion and feeling. Are you sure that you were listening properly? Personally I find Cyril Scott lacked a little emotional intensity.

Alberich

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
cse said:

I think once classical music grips you it's very hard to go back to rock/pop. Sure you can have a few fleeting moments, maybe in the car or on the move, of nostalgia. But this usually leaves a bitter taste and you soon long to return to a world of beauty and emotional depth unsurpassed in the amplified world of instant gratification. The masters Monteverdi, Mozart, Beethoven, Brahms, Mahler, Shostakovich, Britten et al offer you a lifetime of listening pleasure both on record and in the concert hall. You will be moved to tears and plummet the depths of of your soul and feel a re erfirment of the human spirit every time you take the time to stop doing anything else and just sit and listen in quiet rapture.

The day I discovered Beethoven was one of the greatest days of my life !

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts