New Nagaoka cartridges on the way....

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

SteveR750

Just been researching / thinking about alternatives to my AT VM95ML that's a bit underwhelming tbh. Nagaoka did indeed make the legendary 270C and the 207C for technics, I have the former and it's as good in a different way to the AT. I'm really tempted to pop the boron cantilever stylus from Jico onto it, which is more of the Nagaoka heritage showing; but I wonder if that would be quite special.

Reactions: Al ears
Just been researching / thinking about alternatives to my AT VM95ML that's a bit underwhelming tbh. Nagaoka did indeed make the legendary 270C and the 207C for technics, I have the former and it's as good in a different way to the AT. I'm really tempted to pop the boron cantilever stylus from Jico onto it, which is more of the Nagaoka heritage showing; but I wonder if that would be quite special.
An interesting proposition. Until I read this thread I knew nothing about Jeweltone, but since buying a new Technics after Christmas, I read more about the special edition they made for them. Clearly the link is a strong and established one. That said, I’ve been very impressed with my AT VM95ML especially the quiet surfaces and effortless tracking. However, I’ve not attempted any comparisons yet.

SteveR750

An interesting proposition. Until I read this thread I knew nothing about Jeweltone, but since buying a new Technics after Christmas, I read more about the special edition they made for them. Clearly the link is a strong and established one. That said, I’ve been very impressed with my AT VM95ML especially the quiet surfaces and effortless tracking. However, I’ve not attempted any comparisons yet.
After some intense research, it's clear that there is a very strong following for the 205C cartridge, so I've found a NOS 205C mk2 low output. From everything I've read from multiple sources going back over the last decade or so, these things are comparable to some of the best MM carts available, remember the Japanese were trying to master quad sound that required an ability to reproduce 60Khz tones. My expectation is that it will be significantly better than the 95 and even the 540ML, up there with Grace F9, Denon 103 etc. The prices are getting silly now though; most of the Japanese used examples are over £200 with no guarantee on the condition of the stylus, plus the Jico SAS styli have increased in price significantly in the last two years also, so not the bargain they once were not that long ago.

After some intense research, it's clear that there is a very strong following for the 205C cartridge, so I've found a NOS 205C mk2 low output. From everything I've read from multiple sources going back over the last decade or so, these things are comparable to some of the best MM carts available, remember the Japanese were trying to master quad sound that required an ability to reproduce 60Khz tones. My expectation is that it will be significantly better than the 95 and even the 540ML, up there with Grace F9, Denon 103 etc. The prices are getting silly now though; most of the Japanese used examples are over £200 with no guarantee on the condition of the stylus, plus the Jico SAS styli have increased in price significantly in the last two years also, so not the bargain they once were not that long ago.
Never heard of a low output moving magnet cartridge can you clarify?

Reactions: WayneKerr
Forget above comment, just Googled and it would appear that they did offer a 2mV and a 7mV cartridge.
Which is certainly odd but neither of which would I really consider to be low output, at least not in moving coil sense.....

Sadly, I’m ancient enough to remember the chase after quadrophonic reproduction from LP. The CD4 system had a high carrier frequency that brought about big advances in stylus profiles. The best ever I heard was a Stanton quadrophonic cartridge - about double the price of the already superb 681 series. It might have been a 881s.

I recall Martin Colloms raving about the Technics cartridge, the 270 or 207 was it, as it had a smooth and extended FR and tracked superbly. But that must be forty years ago. The Jeweltone seems to be in that lineage. I’d like to hear one!

For something less analytical than the AT I always enjoy Grado cartridges. I seldom recommend them because on some decks they seem overly sensitive to hum. But they are a beguiling listen.

Reactions: SteveR750

SteveR750

The 270C is the budget version, and fitted to trillions of mid 70s and 80s decks from technics. The 207 and 206 were better still, but the 205 was the totl version. The mk3 and mk4 are the ones to get, particularly mk4 that were specced to 60KHz -3dB. They had a proprietry damping system that degrades with age, so none of the original styli will work, but they had unbelievably low mass cantilevers and suspensions. I managed to find an unopened 205 mk2, the low output model. The rationale for Low Z (inductance) means it is load insensitive, so even a 500pF load will push the resonance way above audible threshold, so the FR is unaffected by the phono amp, the flip side of course is the low output, but my ifi phono should be able to manage a 2mV output.
FWIW, I prefer the sound of the 270C over a VM95ML. Ok latter has a smoother top end, but the technics has a punch and excitement that the AT cannot match that I find thrilling to listen to, I'd love to try it with the Jico SAS stylus, as that would improve it even further. However, the prices of thr Jicos is prohibitive for both carts, so I will indulge the 205 with that.

Reactions: Al ears and nopiano
The 270C is the budget version, and fitted to trillions of mid 70s and 80s decks from technics. The 207 and 206 were better still, but the 205 was the totl version. The mk3 and mk4 are the ones to get, particularly mk4 that were specced to 60KHz -3dB. They had a proprietry damping system that degrades with age, so none of the original styli will work, but they had unbelievably low mass cantilevers and suspensions. I managed to find an unopened 205 mk2, the low output model. The rationale for Low Z (inductance) means it is load insensitive, so even a 500pF load will push the resonance way above audible threshold, so the FR is unaffected by the phono amp, the flip side of course is the low output, but my ifi phono should be able to manage a 2mV output.
FWIW, I prefer the sound of the 270C over a VM95ML. Ok latter has a smoother top end, but the technics has a punch and excitement that the AT cannot match that I find thrilling to listen to, I'd love to try it with the Jico SAS stylus, as that would improve it even further. However, the prices of thr Jicos is prohibitive for both carts, so I will indulge the 205 with that.
Very informative, many thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts