New Ortofon MR Cartridges

Oxfordian

This question is probably a bit too early but has anyone had chance to try out Ortofon's new MR cartridges for low profile tone arms like Rega?

My assumptions are that the sound reproduction from the 2MR series is going to replicate that of the 2M series just in a more compact body.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of the range yet.

daytona600

Ortofon makes Specials for Rega , Technics , Thorens , Project and many others

Ortofon 2MR features a specially designed cartridge housing tailored for Rega turntables and tonearms matching their requirement for low-form factor cartridges. With its narrow 14mm Deep cartridge housing, it seamlessly integrates without a need for modifications or spacers under the tonearm, enabling quick and easy mounting with just two screws

VTA - WHY DOES IT MATTER?

The Vertical Tracking Angle (VTA) is the angle between the pivot-point of a cartridge's cantilever and where the diamond touches the record groove. Ortofon cartridges are constructed so that the cantilever angle corresponds to the 20º record cutting angle, when the cartridge is loaded with recommended tracking force and the cartridge base is parallel with the tonearm, which in turn is parallel to the record surface. As a result of this design, if your cartridge is ever mounted on a tonearm where it must lean even slightly backward compared to the record surface, the VTA will not be correct and you will lose important musical details.

14mm The existing 2M range is well suited to many tonearms in the modern market, and is perfectly at home on tonearms with adjustable VTA. However, there are many tonearms uch as Regas, where the VTA is not adjustable and the regular 2M cartridge height is too high. Similarly, there are instances where you may wish to modify your turntable with a thicker mat or platter upgrade and you need to compensate with reduced cartridge height.

Enter 2MR. THE 2MR SOLUTION

2MR reduces the overall cartridge body height to 14mm, saving you 3mm over the standard version. This reduction makes a world of difference to the achievable sound quality of your turntable where VTA is an issue with a standard 2M cartridge. It's also infinitely easier to accommodate than many tonearm modifications or upgrades you may otherwise need to make.

Reactions: Oxfordian

Oxfordian

Ortofon makes Specials for Rega , Technics , Thorens , Project and many others

Ortofon 2MR features a specially designed cartridge housing tailored for Rega turntables and tonearms matching their requirement for low-form factor cartridges. With its narrow 14mm Deep cartridge housing, it seamlessly integrates without a need for modifications or spacers under the tonearm, enabling quick and easy mounting with just two screws

VTA - WHY DOES IT MATTER?

The Vertical Tracking Angle (VTA) is the angle between the pivot-point of a cartridge's cantilever and where the diamond touches the record groove. Ortofon cartridges are constructed so that the cantilever angle corresponds to the 20º record cutting angle, when the cartridge is loaded with recommended tracking force and the cartridge base is parallel with the tonearm, which in turn is parallel to the record surface. As a result of this design, if your cartridge is ever mounted on a tonearm where it must lean even slightly backward compared to the record surface, the VTA will not be correct and you will lose important musical details.

14mm The existing 2M range is well suited to many tonearms in the modern market, and is perfectly at home on tonearms with adjustable VTA. However, there are many tonearms uch as Regas, where the VTA is not adjustable and the regular 2M cartridge height is too high. Similarly, there are instances where you may wish to modify your turntable with a thicker mat or platter upgrade and you need to compensate with reduced cartridge height.

Enter 2MR. THE 2MR SOLUTION

2MR reduces the overall cartridge body height to 14mm, saving you 3mm over the standard version. This reduction makes a world of difference to the achievable sound quality of your turntable where VTA is an issue with a standard 2M cartridge. It's also infinitely easier to accommodate than many tonearm modifications or upgrades you may otherwise need to make.
Thanks, this is the blurb on Ortofon's website, I like the idea of being able to just add a new cartridge to my P3 without the need to take apart and then reassemble the turntable to try a different cartridge by adding a spacer, clearly the 2MR cartridges will allow this. I just wondered if they are exactly the same carts as the regular 2M carts just shallower in build.

DCarmi

I just wondered if they are exactly the same carts as the regular 2M carts just shallower in build.
It is my impression that Ortofon just shaved off 3m of plastic from the casing. They use the same stylus. However, I've not seen any reviews. I've been considering changing my Elys 2, so I am also interested.
It's difficult to do a direct comparison from the data on their website.

It is my impression that Ortofon just shaved off 3m of plastic from the casing. They use the same stylus. However, I've not seen any reviews. I've been considering changing my Elys 2, so I am also interested.
It's difficult to do a direct comparison from the data on their website.
Yep, I believe they just changed the body profile so it's a better fit for those with Rega turntables or those that want to fit a thicker platter mat without playing with shims.
I believe the internals are identical to the non MR versions.

TRENDING THREADS