New Marantz pairing might divide opinion

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Wil

May 8, 2020
Visit site
The Jack of All Trades nature will surely get the attention of those that relied on the likes of Oppo to do the job, it certainly got mine.

This 30 & 30n, I'll especially caution those interested to audition first and not buy blind based on brand-reputation.

From the following interview, Joel Sietsema who "leads Marantz" directed the set's goals, thus, 30n's Jack of All Trades capacity:

Previously, in its Because Music Matters era, Ken championed simplicity:

Brand's present slogan is Modern Musical Luxury, and this reviewer opined about some feature's subpar performance:

Master of None may become the quip…

Last edited:

manicm

This 30 & 30n, I'll especially caution those interested to audition first and not buy blind based on brand-reputation.

From the following interview, Joel Sietsema who "leads Marantz" directed the set's goals, thus, 30n's Jack of All Trades capacity:

Previously, in its Because Music Matters era, Ken championed simplicity:

Brand's present slogan is Modern Musical Luxury, and this reviewer opined about some feature's subpar performance:

Master of None may become the quip…

Many all in ones do many things right. Marantz’s own amp/streamer PM7007N has garnered universal acclaim. The 30 pair at least totally seperates amplification completely - the amp has no digital inputs whatsoever.

So it seems that you want the pairing to fail. My guess is that your theory would be proved spectacularly wrong.

Reactions: Al ears

Wil

May 8, 2020
Visit site
Seeing your recent fervent defensive support, have you been "reached out" to promote these like him:

As to "PM7007N has garnered universal acclaim." Link us several proof, say 10 reputable examples.

Many all in ones do many things right. Marantz’s own amp/streamer PM7007N has garnered universal acclaim. The 30 pair at least totally seperates amplification completely - the amp has no digital inputs whatsoever.

So it seems that you want the pairing to fail. My guess is that your theory would be proved spectacularly wrong.

Seems? "All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream?"

Oh really? Do you realize Linn uses class D amps at least in their Selekt DSM products?

And furthermore, the Marantz Model 30 is not a class D amp.

Please do go on hating...
Well said, unfortunately it does have a Class D power amp section, it uses a SOTA Hypex Class D module, but personally I have no issues with that.
I would agree that early attempts at utilising class D modules left a lot to be desired but more recent implementation has produced some very good amplifiers and they are now used by many so called hi-end manufacturers.
I would hazard a guess that if you went for an audition of an amplifier that was well designed you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between it and a Class A/B amp.

Simon 13th note

BANNED
Jul 27, 2020
Visit site
Well said, unfortunately it does have a Class D power amp section, it uses a SOTA Hypex Class D module, but personally I have no issues with that.
I would agree that early attempts at utilising class D modules left a lot to be desired but more recent implementation has produced some very good amplifiers and they are now used by many so called hi-end manufacturers.
I would hazard a guess that if you went for an audition of an amplifier that was well designed you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between it and a Class A/B amp.

you can tell the difference. Eg NAD M10 (Hypex) , Nord(hypex), Cyrus One Cast (Own class D) against say marantz pm7000n I tried. All of which I’ve tried. In fact Marantz sound is warmish in many of their amps atm.

But it’s all system matching and the change is slight and nuanced over A/B. Class D offers high damping factor - control of drivers, but the switching nature of the amp still requires the ability to deal with the noise that’s produced,equating to an often slightly treble edgy sound or expansive airy treble, which may not be everyone’s liking. That’s how I understand it. I think I still prefer class A/B done well but far from a deal breaker. The Hegel amps are terrific with sound engine tech which is a kind of hybrid design.

i've had a quick look at a few youtube videos of the 30's and i agree they are going to divide opinion. I think Marantz are probably overdue a design refresh, as their components have looked very similar for well over ten years.
the family resemblance from early gear is noticeable, whether it will be a success we will just have to wait and see. it looks well constructed, where it sits in the line-up im unsure.

for me, i'll stick with my PM/SA14S1SE pair.

i've had a quick look at a few youtube videos of the 30's and i agree they are going to divide opinion. I think Marantz are probably overdue a design refresh, as their components have looked very similar for well over ten years.
the family resemblance from early gear is noticeable, whether it will be a success we will just have to wait and see. it looks well constructed, where it sits in the line-up im unsure.

Rather off topic, but what's the car shown in your avatar?!

Wil

May 8, 2020
Visit site
I'll briefly outline my perspective, updating the-cosmetic-look (and slogan also) is at heart new management's statement-of-change… but tapping back to heritage stylings so as to…

I think Marantz are probably overdue a design refresh, as their components have looked very similar for well over ten years.

SE… then I'll link you KI's view on "importance of construction and design" for Class D to end.

You may have seen 30s internal photos? If not:
960x0.jpg

960x0.jpg

Would Ken have tuned their performance differently? As surely as he did for Rotel:
"Changes to the Rotel A11 for the Tribute edition include the replacement of all ten capacitors and two resistors to offer higher performance in the signal path of the amplifier stage.

Six capacitors were upgraded in the pre-amp, representing more than half of the components in the path, as well as all of the capacitors in the volume stage. Rotel has also added further insulation and custom dampening materials to the Class AB amp's mechanical chassis to reduce ringing.
"

I've time-coded vid to start on Class D segment:

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts