• If you ever spot Spam (either in the forums, or received via forum direct message) please use the Report button at the bottom of each post to make sure a Moderator can handle it quickly. Thanks for your help in keeping things running smoothly!

New Marantz pairing might divide opinion

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

nopiano

Feb 15, 2009
Class D is cold and lifeless.
I’ve not found that. And neither did this reviewer of the newer I35 by Primare:-
“There’s something of the classic ‘Chrome Bumper’ Naim Audio sound about the Primare I35, both tonally and on that sheer musical enjoyment quotient that is so hard to pin down. Tonally, the I35 is rich and satisfying rather than bright and breezy, and yet it comes over as both energetic and dynamic sounding.”

He almost makes it seem a bit old-fashioned sounding with that description. A bit like A/B you might say?!

Full review here...https://www.hifiplus.com/articles/primare-i35-integrated-amplifier/

Reactions: Al ears

Hawkwind16

May 22, 2016
The internals are a bit like the Ki Ruby's

Well - I hope they sound better than the Ki Ruby's which I found dull and lifeless

Wil

May 8, 2020
After KI's departure, the new Marantz sound have been said to be "as exciting as Beats." So, that's luxury, musical and modern for the masses.

The internals are a bit like the Ki Ruby's

Well - I hope they sound better than the Ki Ruby's which I found dull and lifeless

Last edited:

Wil

May 8, 2020
I noted there are several 14 SE owners in the forum, incidentally, this guy (now that Ken's passed away) went on record in the vid to say "We didn't really like the 14 Series Special Edition, it was quite boring to be honest, it wasn't a very energetic system…"

Would he have said so to Ken before, at or after being in attendance of Ruby unveiling event:

Anyhow, first impression vs. living with a product to…

It'd be a cruel man who reminded you that you weren't very happy at first!

:)
The 1st CD (a familiar favourite) I played on my SA-KI… I trusted it will sound better… one day it did.

I too am happy with having purchased Ruby set.

Last edited:

DougK

Dec 8, 2013
It'd be a cruel man who reminded you that you weren't very happy at first!

:)
Are you stepping up to be the cruel man as if you are then I think you need to re-read my comments in the original thread and the good advice given by some members.

I wouldn't go as far as to say that I was unhappy. I did scratch my head somewhat and was confused regarding the increased clarity, detail, definition, delicacy and control that I had never heard before, plus the low level listening performance. This all came across as imagined brightness initially until I began to appreciate what the new Ruby's were actually doing with the presentation of the music. Though I was happy with my original speakers a minor change to Harbeth has now made a system the like of which I have never heard better in my lounge.

Reactions: Al ears

Mitch88

Aug 19, 2020
Seeing the new Marantz Model 30 for the first time made me think the revised look might seriously divide opinions.
What do you think?
Me, I sort of like it but would have to see them ' in the flesh'.
It’s all about attitude, isn’t it Allears.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts