New Marantz pairing might divide opinion

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Class D is cold and lifeless.

I’ve not found that. And neither did this reviewer of the newer I35 by Primare:-
“There’s something of the classic ‘Chrome Bumper’ Naim Audio sound about the Primare I35, both tonally and on that sheer musical enjoyment quotient that is so hard to pin down. Tonally, the I35 is rich and satisfying rather than bright and breezy, and yet it comes over as both energetic and dynamic sounding.”

He almost makes it seem a bit old-fashioned sounding with that description. A bit like A/B you might say?!

Full review here...https://www.hifiplus.com/articles/primare-i35-integrated-amplifier/

Reactions: Al ears

Wil

May 8, 2020
Visit site
After KI's departure, the new Marantz sound have been said to be "as exciting as Beats." So, that's luxury, musical and modern for the masses.

The internals are a bit like the Ki Ruby's

Well - I hope they sound better than the Ki Ruby's which I found dull and lifeless

Last edited:

Wil

May 8, 2020
Visit site
I noted there are several 14 SE owners in the forum, incidentally, this guy (now that Ken's passed away) went on record in the vid to say "We didn't really like the 14 Series Special Edition, it was quite boring to be honest, it wasn't a very energetic system…"

Would he have said so to Ken before, at or after being in attendance of Ruby unveiling event:

Anyhow, first impression vs. living with a product to…

It'd be a cruel man who reminded you that you weren't very happy at first!

:)

The 1st CD (a familiar favourite) I played on my SA-KI… I trusted it will sound better… one day it did.

I too am happy with having purchased Ruby set.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 108165

It'd be a cruel man who reminded you that you weren't very happy at first!

:)
Are you stepping up to be the cruel man as if you are then I think you need to re-read my comments in the original thread and the good advice given by some members.

I wouldn't go as far as to say that I was unhappy. I did scratch my head somewhat and was confused regarding the increased clarity, detail, definition, delicacy and control that I had never heard before, plus the low level listening performance. This all came across as imagined brightness initially until I began to appreciate what the new Ruby's were actually doing with the presentation of the music. Though I was happy with my original speakers a minor change to Harbeth has now made a system the like of which I have never heard better in my lounge.

Reactions: Al ears

Mitch88

Aug 19, 2020
Visit site
Seeing the new Marantz Model 30 for the first time made me think the revised look might seriously divide opinions.
What do you think?
Me, I sort of like it but would have to see them ' in the flesh'.
It’s all about attitude, isn’t it Allears.

Pjl2122

Oct 4, 2020
Visit site
i just got one of the first model 30 it is almost identical to the KI Ruby ,but more retro with the knobs on front
but all functions can operate from remote,
ruby didnot have a preamp out the 30 has a pre in and out. And $1500 less .it is very musical your power cord and cables will dictate its balance, your speakers to to a less extent a very well behaved integrated and same active preamplifier with seperate power supply no cheap alps volume pot ,all linear electric volume nice OLED
fully adjustable display. And in 1/2 db increments , integrsted amp of the year dusl mono Hypex amps direct coupled to the outputs and Descreet designed modules ,not opamps like most .i have been in audio 40+ years .
this sounds like a very good class AB setup. the ruby was $4k this is a more more linear not quite as warm.
get a good power cord and upgrade the fuse inside to a synergistic Orange fuse. The cdp,dac is equally good.
and I personally like the looks lI have it in Black.,and weighs around 16 kilos.

Reactions: TotalVictim

nn_in

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site
Marantz was build around KI for many years.Its always a challenge when you re-position .I guess they are proving that existing team is veryuch capable of delivering new launches

Wil

May 8, 2020
Visit site
I began to cringe a little at the end of that video review. 🤷‍♂️🤣
Are they trying to erase KI from the Marantz history books?

So today was destined to be the day I respond to…

Secretagentmole

Sep 19, 2020
Visit site
It’s not often that I get the opportunity to review traditional hi-fi gear because the audio market is changing rapidly. Increasingly, consumers want all-in-one devices that can deliver a full range of audio sources in one easy-to-use package. You only have to look at the soaring popularity of products like Naim’s Uniti range or some of the mini streaming systems from Denon or NAD to see where the market is heading. Smaller homes and a newer approach to technology mean audio systems are becoming more compact and flexible.

And willing to throw the quality under a bus too?

manicm

Did not think DSD was kicking off to be honest i still play CDs too as well as stream my music but would not buy a all in one unit that did both as i think you get what you pay for .
I am using my OPPO 203 for streaming at the moment as it uses a good Dac as well as its Roon ready but have a dedicated Cd player for CDs

Yes, you get what you pay for, but exposed DACs in CD players are no new thing - even in high- end decks. And have you seen the price of the Model 30 CDP? Eyes watering?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts