New Marantz pairing might divide opinion

Reactions: MUSICRAFT

Jimboo

I think many marantz products for many, many years are utterly appaling and look and feel cheap. This new design hasn't ticked all my boxes but looks much , much better. In the flesh like 99% of today's modern turntables say they may also be a crushing disappointment.
Edit: The white version is the sixties idea of the future seen on a low budget sci fi drama.

jjbomber

Seeing the new Marantz Model 30 for the first time made me think the revised look might seriously divide opinions.
What do you think?
Me, I sort of like it but would have to see them ' in the flesh'.

F-ugly to me. Something from 1960s Star Trek. They are definitely going to divide opinions but that doesn't really matter. If all those that love them will buy them, then they have a winner on their hands.

Gray

I don't like the look of it.
My PM66 amp didn't look too special, but (I think) they manage to make the updates look slightly worse each time.
This range has got a bit of a retro look to it - which people seem to like.
Marantz aren't alone though, I wasn't keen on Audiolab's updated look.

I'm trying not to be negative and think of something I like the look of..........:unsure:
......anyone got a brand they really like the look of?

Last edited:
I don't like the look of it.
My PM66 amp didn't look too special, but (I think) they manage to make the updates look slightly worse each time.
This range has got a bit of a retro look to it - which people seem to like.
Marantz aren't alone though, I wasn't keen on Audiolab's updated look.

I'm trying not to be negative and think of something I like the look of..........:unsure:
......anyone got a brand they really like the look of?
Yes, Luxman and Soulution.

I think many marantz products for many, many years are utterly appaling and look and feel cheap. This new design hasn't ticked all my boxes but looks much , much better. In the flesh like 99% of today's modern turntables say they may also be a crushing disappointment.
Edit: The white version is the sixties idea of the future seen on a low budget sci fi drama.
Not sure if that white is actually silver

D

Deleted member 108165

Yes, Luxman and Soulution.
Luxman for me, love VU meters... maybe Yamaha and the new Technics too. Must admit that Marantz is definitely Marmite in the visual appeal department, but this new one looks very strange indeed to me.

Luxman for me, love VU meters... maybe Yamaha and the new Technics too. Must admit that Marantz is definitely Marmite in the visual appeal department, but this new one looks very strange indeed to me.
It's certainly a marmite look and, to me, the black looks acceptable whereas the silver doesn't for some weird reason. I am hoping it sounds better than it looks. :)

Gray

Technics, now there's a brand that doesn't do ugly - even if it's more pricey than it needs to be.
Had a few nice-looking Panasonic things......though my brother's old ghetto blaster doesn't look too clever.

Last edited:
Accuphase also falls into the "cor!" bracket. Like you I have a soft spot for a VU meter.
Back to the OP: the Marantz CDP looks fine. But the amp looks like it came about after a long lunch down the boozer.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
What i find strange is why big name company's like Marantz are not supporting dedicated music streamers but instead they are releasing SACD players when the market is not supporting them anymore .
Are Marantz out of touch with what the market wants but do see they do make one product that is a streamer but not a flagship product .

S
What i find strange is why big name company's like Marantz are not supporting dedicated music streamers but instead they are releasing SACD players when the market is not supporting them anymore .
Are Marantz out of touch with what the market wants but do see they do make one product that is a streamer but not a flagship product .
SACD is still very big in Japan, anyone can add a cheap streamer, not sure why everyone wants one integrated into something else surely that limits upgrade potential.
That's just my way of thinking though

manicm

Because Marantz believe there‘s a sizable audience who still want to play discs - don‘t laugh as I don’t get the vinyl resurgence at all. And Marantz are not the only manufacturer who believe DSD sounds best. What you probably missed is that the 30 disc player converts CD to DSD before the analogue output, as a few of their other high-end players do. They don’t seem to use a conventional DAC.

Personally although I rip my CDs, occasionally I like to spin one too.

Also note, the 30 is a full blown streamer too. Arcam has done the same too, with an all in one disc player and streamer, but not DSD compatible I think.

Because Marantz believe there‘s a sizable audience who still want to play discs - don‘t laugh as I don’t get the vinyl resurgence at all. And Marantz are not the only manufacturer who believe DSD sounds best. What you probably missed is that the 30 disc player converts CD to DSD before the analogue output, as a few of their other high-end players do. They don’t seem to use a conventional DAC.

Also note, the 30 is a full blown streamer too. Arcam has done the same too, with an all in one disc player and streamer, but not DSD compatible I think.
The Jack of All Trades nature will surely get the attention of those that relied on the likes of Oppo to do the job, it certainly got mine.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Do not have an issue with Wispy sound what ever that is but pair the Yamaha up with good speakers and i play a mix of everything to metal , thrash , classic rock , to soft stuff .
I believe in the product and that way i have not changed my amplifier for 3 years its a keeper for me

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site

Did not think DSD was kicking off to be honest i still play CDs too as well as stream my music but would not buy a all in one unit that did both as i think you get what you pay for .
I am using my OPPO 203 for streaming at the moment as it uses a good Dac as well as its Roon ready but have a dedicated Cd player for CDs

nikkinemo95

Sep 3, 2020
Visit site
It’s not often that I get the opportunity to review traditional hi-fi gear because the audio market is changing rapidly. Increasingly, consumers want all-in-one devices that can deliver a full range of audio sources in one easy-to-use package. You only have to look at the soaring popularity of products like Naim’s Uniti range or some of the mini streaming systems from Denon or NAD to see where the market is heading. Smaller homes and a newer approach to technology mean audio systems are becoming more compact and flexible.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts