New JL Subwoofers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
I'd disagree with the word 'clinical'. Precise and detailed maybe, and due to these qualities, there's no exaggeration of the signal it/they receive. If you haven't heard one, I would highly recommend you do, and for the price of some of the JLs, two is possible, which is a whole new ball game...

I have, a friend of mine purchased the stack. :) I would agree that stacked they are something great. But with them being shipped from overseas people will be hard pressed to hear them for themselves. (I did email them with my concerns over that)

The JL is every bit as good, dare I say better!

recruit

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi Drew_C

Even some of the most ardent fans of DXD subs now like JL Audio sub woofers
smiley-smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Really, so infact they are downgrading there Sound Quality for what they think is something better then?

I know JL Audio subs are in fact quite good but you really do not understand how the DXD subs work in comparison to the JL Audio subs, SPL figures may look good but what that is doing to the Audio signal and transient response is certainly debatable :O

Hi recruit

Really, so infact they are downgrading there Sound Quality for what they think is something better then?

Hold that thought :grin:

Anyway, even some of the most ardent fans of DXD subs now like JL Audio sub woofers
smiley-smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

MUSICRAFT said:
Hi recruit

Anyway, even some of the most ardent fans of DXD subs now like JL Audio sub woofers
smiley-smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Is that because you're selling JL and not KK? :?

recruit

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi recruit

smiley-smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hold that though Rick @ Musicraft ;)

Is that Fact according to Rick from Musicraft :lol:

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I only know of one person that changed from KK to JL, and I have a good idea as to why he did, but that's another story...

The DXD models are the same as used in studios for monitoring/mastering. If they weren't, I'd then 'get' why some people might call them inferior. Two are monstrous, but still retain their speed and detail.

ideal av

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
I only know of one person that changed from KK to JL, and I have a good idea as to why he did, but that's another story...

if its the same person i`m thinking of David, can you enlighten us to what good idea it is you have as to why he changed to a JL

and if it is the same person, then he`s just about to upgrade again and run Dual Esub 12`s

Son_of_SJ said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Btw, the Gotham subwoofer is not available in the UK yet.

Adam Rayner says on page 72 of the February 2013 issue, number 217, of Home Cinema Choice magazine, (while reviewing the JL Audio F110 subwoofer) that the flagship Gotham subwoofer may never come to Europe as the amplifier on the back puts out so much RF (Radio Frequency) that it would never get European Union CE marking.

Hi Son_of_SJ

I believe JL Audio's Gotham g213 subwoofer is still on track to be available in the UK later on in the year :pray:

In the meantime the Fathom f212 is paving the way for the arrival of Gotham g213 just nicely
smiley-smile.gif
Unfathomable bass :twisted:

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Phil1975m

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:

The DXD models are the same as used in studios for monitoring/mastering. If they weren't, I'd then 'get' why some people might call them inferior. Two are monstrous, but still retain their speed and detail.

I think your talking about me then David..? And what were my reasons please explain yourself..?

Fact is I went from 808 to something BETTER simple, whether you and your KK Fanboys can accept it or not. Or is it sour grapes as it was YOU who sold me the 808..?
smiley-laughing.gif

Also your comment I only know of one person that changed from KK to JL, and I have a good idea as to why he did, but that's another story..

Its comments like that, which is the reason you will NEVER get to sell JL Subs, .
smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif
:rofl:

Phil1975m said:
David@FrankHarvey said:

I think your talking about me then David..? And what were my reasons please explain yourself..?

Fact is I went from 808 to something BETTER simple, whether you and your KK Fanboys can accept it or not. Or is it sour grapes as it was YOU who sold me the 808..?
smiley-laughing.gif

Also your comment I only know of one person that changed from KK to JL, and I have a good idea as to why he did, but that's another story..

Its comments like that, which is the reason you will NEVER get to sell JL Subs, .
smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif
:rofl:

So you joined only to comment on this; and you knew when the comment was posted about you! Interesting.... :?

Phil1975m

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
I might of joined today (I was a member previously but lost my logins)but when comments are made about me I have right to respond.

SO as you say interesting indeed :clap:

Phil1975m said:
I might of joined today (I was a member previously but lost my logins)but when comments are made about me I have right to respond.

SO as you say interesting indeed :clap:

If you've lost your logins, you're not a frequent visitor on the forum, and yet you were very quick in responding here. Hmmm... :?

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Lets not allow this to turn into an argument. People will be coming to this thread, now and in the future, for knowledge of JL subs and if they are worth the investment.

Phil what was your experience with JL vs DXD. I would love to hear what you found and the reason for choosing one over the other.

recruit

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I do not think personally Phil ever really got to hear the DXD808 sub woofer at its best by the accounts of how the subs were set up.

The JL Audio subs are nice, but it was a shame that you never got to hear how the DXD's can really perfom when set up correctly :)

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
Son_of_SJ said:
Judging by the reviews, I would say that the closest competitor to the JL Audio Fathom F212 subwoofer is the similarly-priced Velodyne DD18+, excellent reviews of which are readliy available on google.

That very much depends on the aspects you're taking into account... :)

Hello again David,

I'm still hoping to hear how you would compare the JLAudio F212 and the Velodyne DD18+? I have no chance of seeing any of these monsters, so I can go only by reviews and by what experienced dealers say.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
ellisdj said:
There is some interesting reviews on home theatre shack - Sub Zone.

The DXD scores really well but the SVS SB13 ultra comes out on top on distortion figures to 28hz - my expected range

I am going to see if i can get a home demo of the SVS and the JL f112.

I use / setup a sub differently to most - hard knee house curv.

I want good output at 30hz - most sealed subs taper off in their response that low so thats why i think the svs will suit this better. That appears linear in its response to 30hz which is amazing really for a sealed sub. with room.boost it should give me the response i am after

Will see if the JL is worth the extra and if it can do what i need.

I am.sure the f113 will but the extra cost pushes it so high

Hello Ellisdj,

I can quote from only my own experience. In my parlour, which measures 18'2" long by 14'3" wide by 10'6" high, I have the SVS PC Ultra subwoofer. This is the previous version, the one with the 750W Bash amplifier, not the new version with the 1000W Sledge amplifier. I don't know how big your room is, but I can say that the SVS is all the subwoofer, in my room, that I can possibly need. In the Blu-ray of Skyfall, Chapter 11, with 43 minutes 12 seconds elapsed, James Bond's car is following Patrice's car in Shanghai. I like that you can hear what feel like staggered heartbeats, slightly muffled, from the subwoofer. A little later, after Patrice has killed the guard at reception, Bond walks past the body of the guard. 44 minutes and 52 seconds have elapsed from the start of the film, and you hear this deep tone. 45 minutes and 2 seconds, as the lift arrives, another very deep tone. This is with the volume control on my Denon AVR-4810 receiver at -42dB, in the daytime, with a fair amount of noise coming in from the traffic! You can expect to hear all these deep sounds whichever new subwoofer you decide to buy! Incidentally, just curious, not critical, why are you considering the sealed box SVS SB Ultra rather than the ported box PB13-Ultra or the ported cylinder PC13-Ultra? These SVSs are around £1,600, I'm not sure how much the JL Audio F113 is, but I'm sure that it is also a very good subwoofer, maybe better than my SVS, I'm quite happy to concede!

Somebody mentioned the Paradigm Seismic 110 subwoofer. I have to say that I auditioned that in a shop about two years ago, against my own ancient Tannoy TS12 subwoofer, which was one third of price of the then £1,200 Paradigm. I didn't think that the Paradigm was much better than the Tannoy, and certainly not £800 better. But that's just one person's opinion, please.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Hello again Ellisdj,

I went to the SVS website and I found this link that shows the frequency response for the PB13-Ultra.

http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/ported-box/PB13-Ultra#.UzrScaIyWfg (click on the "Tech Specs" tab at the bottom of the page)

Note that the SVS ported subwoofers can also be used in sealed mode, if you plug all the three ports with the (supplied) foam bungs. I think you said that you were looking for response down to 30Hz; easily satisfied here, in fact an octave lower than that, to 15Hz. ! I use my PC13-Ultra in the 10Hz mode, two of the three ports are plugged.

I don't deny that KK, JLAudio and other subwoofers would be very good too, quite possibly better than SVS (and so they should because some of them are much more expensive!), but I have no experience of them.

TRENDING THREADS