New floorstanding speakers for medium room please (under £2000)

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Hi people, I'm after new speakers to fit into my system in a room 4 x 7m. Speakers cant get further than 50cm from rear wall. I'm after a full range speaker (incorrect terminology i think) that I guess needs to go to 40Hz or below. I listen to all genres, rock, electro, classical, jazz etc etc. I'd like more bass extension than i currently have, and would like more clarity. Would like better drum strikes, dynamics, being able to pick out individual voices in choirs etc.
Have been looking at second hand PMC fb1+ at about £700, although not heard any PMC yet, but have heard they can match well with a MOSFET ss amp which I have. How about Leema Xaviers? Dali suite 2.8? MA silver 300/200? Focal JMlab 918 profile? Focals? (Although the leather covering has put me off the 926). Spendors? Neat?
Any advice please on what speakers I should be looking at. Around 2k max, but ideally under 1k second hand.
Thanks very much.

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
these look really interesting. Peter Tyson has the x2 on offer. Low sensitivity though (86db), how do they fare at low volumes? Thanks for recommendation.
Sorry meant x2 not k2. They are fine, no problems with low volume. They are recommended with naim on their forum and i love them. Well built and small. Mine are close to the wall without any problems, there is a downwards port for the bass. Tested these against the small floor speakers which face upwards, neat i cant remember the model, and these were far better.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Hi people, I'm after new speakers to fit into my system in a room 4 x 7m. Speakers cant get further than 50cm from rear wall. I'm after a full range speaker (incorrect terminology i think) that I guess needs to go to 40Hz or below. I listen to all genres, rock, electro, classical, jazz etc etc. I'd like more bass extension than i currently have, and would like more clarity. Would like better drum strikes, dynamics, being able to pick out individual voices in choirs etc.
Have been looking at second hand PMC fb1+ at about £700, although not heard any PMC yet, but have heard they can match well with a MOSFET ss amp which I have. How about Leema Xaviers? Dali suite 2.8? MA silver 300/200? Focal JMlab 918 profile? Focals? (Although the leather covering has put me off the 926). Spendors? Neat?
Any advice please on what speakers I should be looking at. Around 2k max, but ideally under 1k second hand.
Thanks very much.

I have some pmc 20.26, which I can push right up against the back wall, and apart from a reduction in sound stage depth, there is absolutely no effect on the bass. So I would recommend pmc for near Wall Placement. But the newer 20 and 25 series I find are very lean sounding in the mid range to my ears. Yes the bass goes terrifically deep, but I again find it lean. Not full bodied. There is only so much one can expect out of a small narrow baffle speaker i guess.

But I've been reliably told, that the older fb series has a full bodied sound. So worth a punt in my opinion sir

Reactions: knaithrover

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
great tip. I really like the look of these speakers...they look gorgeous, and I think could be amazing musically. I'm slightly worried about the bass bloom in these as I'd have to have them fairly close to wall.??

Wharfedale have general guide measurements for positioning in their other ranges of speaker manuals.
But seem quite vague where the Lintons minimum placement from the back wall should be.

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Perhaps, as always, it's down to the individuals ears to determine the minimum acceptable distance.
I understand that, but a general guidance would be helpful if a demo is not available as in the present circumstances.
Very tempted by the Lintons but wouldn't want to waste money and the time of the dealers with all the returns malarkey if they don't suite room acoustics.

I understand that, but a general guidance would be helpful if a demo is not available as in the present circumstances.
Very tempted by the Lintons but wouldn't want to waste money and the time of the dealers with all the returns malarkey if they don't suite room acoustics.
Unfortunately that is something you will never know unless you can actually try them in your room.

Unfortunately that is something you will never know unless you can actually try them in your room.
Spendor's floorstanders have a sort of venturi/port at the bottom rear, and I have no issues with mine being 30cm or so from the wall - room is 7m sq. give or take.
Some measure the Lintons bass ports to be underdamped so positioning towards the rear wall might help.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts