New DVD & CD Player

rowlers

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
In the market for a new DVD player (poss Blu Ray if the price is right and it does what I need it to do!) It is replacing a 7 year old Maranzts DV6400. Only issue is it needs to play CDs reasonbly well.

Budgetis £200-£300. It will be hooked up to a (probably!) Marantz NR1501.

thanks

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
If you go for one of these, then they can often be found at £99.99 on Play and Amazon, not to mention Sevenoaks Sound & Vision.

rowlers

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions, was looking at the sony, but is it REALLY any good with standard audio CDs. My current Marrantz DV6400 plays DVD, SACD & CDs all well. So don't want to to downgrade.

Cheers

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
For £99 it's worth just giving it a go. (At least you get a superb BluRay/DVD player and BBC iPlayer if CD replay is not up to expectation.)

I could give it a go for you, but that would involve unpacking and reconnecting my Naim CD5i and swapping my S370 audio output from digital (via DAC) to analogue (RCA) then repackaging the Naim again afterwards.

It still wouldn't be the comparison you are after. (You want someone to compare your Marantz DV6400 for you, not my Naim.) Plus I have no idea whether your tastes in music are reflected in my CD collection.

Anyway for £99 (less than Joel spends on a metre of cable) if it isn't quite what you want (in CD replay quality), you could put it in the kitchen or bedroom system or tuck it the back of a cupboard as a 'backup' just in case your Marantz ever needs repair. (It is a small unit and comes in a small box.)

rowlers

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
TBH, All I need to know is if if can hold its own spinning CDs. I realise it is not gonna be as good as a dedicated CD player (got shot of most of my proper HiFi seperates when the family/kids appeared!)

It just sounds "wrong" that a £100 multi finction player can doe everything preety well! I like the sound of the of the Iplayer and other VOD too!

Thanks again

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
rowlers:It just sounds "wrong" that a £100 multi finction player can doe everything preety well! I like the sound of the of the Iplayer and other VOD too!

It's full RRP is actually £179 (or was at launch). £99 is what you can often find it selling for on Amazon or at Tescos, Sainsburys and lots of other places if you look around and strike quickly.

I got mine from a nearby Tesco for £99.95 after ringing their customer service line to check stock levels at the branch just before I went to collect it. (They had 8 in that day.)

On my next visit to the store a few days later it had gone back to £139. You have to be quick.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Hispek currently have an ex-display Marantz BD5004 for £310 on their site (this is a £450 player)
I used mine for cd playback with the NR1501 and it performed very well. Although I admit I now use a separate cd player but like you I needed to keep number of boxes down at the time so it was a good compromise.
Alright it doesn't have inpayer etc but that doesn't bother me.

Marantz do market it as a universal player (albeit their cheapest). Oh and the NR1501 is really pretty good with music in 2.0 or 2.1

rowlers

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
I think I'm fairly sold on this combo now!

Will try to arrange a demo in my local store (and then buy online to save £200 lol)

cheers folks

TRENDING THREADS