New CDP; Audiolabe 8200?

whiskywheels

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
I spent quite some time yesterday trying to arrange an audition of the Audiolab with the gear I've already got, but the dealers either didn't have the right stuff, or indeed the audiolab. I'll keep trying, even though I may end up taking my speakers/amp, sofa, dog, etc along to get a meaningful audition. I fancy a new CDP to go with my B&W685s and Rotel RA1520. Although I fancy the matching Rotel CDP for it's looks and functionality, I'm put off by the reviews. So I thought "why not just get the CDP that gets top marks and awards in the reviews?" Subject to audition (hah!), is there any reason why the Audiolab 8200 shouldn't sound great with my current amp and speakers? Your advice and comments, as ever, gratefully recieved!

The Audiolab is a very good sounding player, but you really need to make the effort to listen to two or three different CDPs. I would certainly have a good audition with the Rotel cdp.

Forget the 3 stars WHFI gave the Rotel cdp, but I've mentioned this so many times: WHFI star ratings are a good starting point. For goodness sake don't just buy based on reviews. Huge mistake IMHO.

whiskywheels

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Forget the 3 stars WHFI gave the Rotel cdp

Thanks PP, I did get an audition of the Rotel CDP with my amp and speakers (well, the stores one's that is), and of course it sounded marvellous. But it wasn't in my room or with my cofiguration of speakers etc. Given the similar price of the Audiolab I was musing over getting it over the Rotel on the basis of it's high acclaim. As far as star ratings being a starting point, I tend to think of 4 or 5 stars as a starting point, but 3........?

whiskywheels said:
plastic penguin said:
Forget the 3 stars WHFI gave the Rotel cdp

Thanks PP, I did get an audition of the Rotel CDP with my amp and speakers (well, the stores one's that is), and of course it sounded marvellous. But it wasn't in my room or with my cofiguration of speakers etc. Given the similar price of the Audiolab I was musing over getting it over the Rotel on the basis of it's high acclaim. As far as star ratings being a starting point, I tend to think of 4 or 5 stars as a starting point, but 3........?

It's easy to dismiss a 3 star product. WHFI only gave 3 stars to Usher S-520 speakers, but they blew me away for the price - without doubt one of my favourite sub-£500 standmounter.

Again, as I've mentioned coutless times, it is solely about system synergy rather than individual ratings. Think of it as a football team: Real Madrid has for years under-achieved. They have superstars in abundance, but compare them to Man U - they won the title without any real star performers. Hi-fi, like football, is a team performance. If they're all pulling in the same direction then you have a winning combo.

Other CDPs to think about is Arcam and perhaps Creek. Both gel excellently with Rotel.

whiskywheels

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
it is solely about system synergy rather than individual ratings

The issue of synergy is exactly what I'm asking about; will my current set up fit in with the Audiolab? I suspect this is an impossible question to answer, unless there's a statistically significant number of people who would say that x works well with y. I'm jaded about auditions, even a/b comparisons. Auditions always sound really nice to me, and I can hear differences in comparative tests, but only in so far as x sounds different to y, but not that it sounds better or worse. This is why I'm thinking I might just as well buy a 5 star rated CDP rather than a 3 star one. Unless it sounds awful to me, I can content myself with knowing that I've got value for money.

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I would advise it is worthwhile doing comparisons as I was in a similar position to you .

I decided I wanted a new player and based on reviews was sure in my mind I would go for the Audiolab but booked a demo anyway with a few other machines of similar price and was surprised at the different characteristics.

I found the audiolab had amazing detail but something to me was missing and when I listened to venus from the planets suite the audiolab had managed to strip all the emotion out of the music.Other tracks sounded detailed but not just right I tried changing amps and just couldn't find the sound I wanted from the audiolab and left the store confused and dissappointed.

I eventually found what I was looking for but I think at that price point there are quite a few very good machines and while reviews are a good starting point music listening is hugely subjective and is worth spending a little time in finding whats right for you and it is not a small amount of money you are spending.

Amyway good luck and hope you find what you are looking for.

whiskywheels said:
plastic penguin said:
it is solely about system synergy rather than individual ratings
The issue of synergy is exactly what I'm asking about; will my current set up fit in with the Audiolab? I suspect this is an impossible question to answer, unless there's a statistically significant number of people who would say that x works well with y. I'm jaded about auditions, even a/b comparisons. Auditions always sound really nice to me, and I can hear differences in comparative tests, but only in so far as x sounds different to y, but not that it sounds better or worse. This is why I'm thinking I might just as well buy a 5 star rated CDP rather than a 3 star one. Unless it sounds awful to me, I can content myself with knowing that I've got value for money.

You're right, it's impossible to answer without physically hearing. This is where hi-fi can be a real rascal: one would assume, on paper, at least, that a 5 star must sound better than a 3 star component. This is the assumption I worked on before I had the Leema: I auditioned on and off for nearly two years to find an amp to replace my A65. Everything from a Roksan Kandy LIII to Primare I21, Cyrus 8VS2, Creek Evo, Naim to newer Arcam A70. Yes most were better amps but, in my system, didn't do enough to justify the extra outlay.

This wasn't a case of the tested amps not being very good. In fact, they were very adept, but it was a testament to my system matching which made the most of the fairly average A65.

I fully understand about feeling weary of testing: after two years I became 'punch drunk' with listening to other equipment. That said, the exciting part is the chase IMHO.

Carry On auditioning. Your system deserves, so does your wallet... ;)

Good luck, pp

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts