What upgrade will make biggest difference?

dellroy

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
I am just after some advice and opinion as to what part of the system (when upgraded one piece at a time) is likely to make the biggest difference to the sound?

I am planning on changing my entire system (amp, CD player and speakers) but I can not afford to do it all in one go. Have had a few auditions of equipment over the last year or so and have a fairly good idea of what I want. Amp, Arcam A19 or 29 (if I can get 2nd hand) and I may also audition CA cxa60. CD player, Audiolab 8200 but I have not heard this with the Arcam. That's more from reviews I have read that say they go well together. And Speakers, Dali Opticon 2 which sound great with the Arcam or Dynaudio Emit M20 but I have not heard these yet. It may take me 2 or 3 years to change all items.

So from people's experience which part of the system is likely to make the biggest deference is changed one piece at a time?

Thanks for your help.

insider9

The usual recommendation would be to start with speakers as they're likely to make the biggest difference.

In your case I'd start from an amp. Zensor 3s are decent speakers and would benefit from better amplification. They will also pair really well with Arcam. Try going for best amp you can afford. Second hand will get you best value for money.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
If it was me and I knew the system I was upgrading to, I'd start with the Amp....My logic would be that the better amp will make your existing speakers sound better. Then I'd go for speakers.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
You're very welcome.

I also want to stress something that Insider9 said, which is to go for the very best amp you can afford. Most speakers, especially at the cheaper end, are often capable of a lot more than people realize.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
If it was me and I knew the system I was upgrading to, I'd start with the Amp....My logic would be that the better amp will make your existing speakers sound better. Then I'd go for speakers.

I would agree with this, buy the best amp you can afford and any speaker you connect to it will be performing to it's full potential.

You might even find your existing speakers sound so much better that are happy with them.*smile*

MajorFubar said:
A different point of view is that if for example you just don't like the sound of your speakers, plugging them onto the end of the best amp in the world won't make you fall in love with them. My advice is take your existing amp and speakers to a local dealer and decide for yourself through substitution whether a new amp or new makes the biggest difference to your ears. But sadly most people ignore this advice, and instead expect a forum of people who don't have their ears, don't listen to their music and don't live in their house to give them a definitive answer as to what's going to sound best.

I think both points care valid however, going to a dealers to audition as the Major recommends almost aways puts pressure on you to then buy something from that dealer when you're often much better off going second-hand or ex-demo.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
A different point of view is that if for example you just don't like the sound of your speakers, plugging them onto the end of the best amp in the world won't make you fall in love with them. My advice is take your existing amp and speakers to a local dealer and decide for yourself through substitution whether a new amp or new speakers makes the biggest difference to your ears. But sadly most people ignore this advice, and instead expect a forum of people who don't have their ears, don't listen to their music and don't live in their house to give them a definitive answer as to what's going to sound best.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Used or ex-dem is a good idea, if he's near a dealer that sells either. In the circumstances I remain unconvinced that commiting either way (to an amp or speakers) without an audition is in either scenario a safe bet. I suppose if you can bag something cheap enough you can at least hope you can get your money back if you don't like it. OP does however seem to have his head screwed on straight and has already auditioned some alternatives.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Electro said:
CnoEvil said:

I would agree with this, buy the best amp you can afford and any speaker you connect to it will be performing to it's full potential.

You might even find your existing speakers sound so much better that are happy with them.*smile*

+1. An Amp is the heart of a system. The notion that all Amps sound the same is bunkum IMO.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
dellroy said:
I am just after some advice and opinion as to what part of the system (when upgraded one piece at a time) is likely to make the biggest difference to the sound?

I am planning on changing my entire system (amp, CD player and speakers) but I can not afford to do it all in one go. Have had a few auditions of equipment over the last year or so and have a fairly good idea of what I want. Amp, Arcam A19 or 29 (if I can get 2nd hand) and I may also audition CA cxa60. CD player, Audiolab 8200 but I have not heard this with the Arcam. That's more from reviews I have read that say they go well together. And Speakers, Dali Opticon 2 which sound great with the Arcam or Dynaudio Emit M20 but I have not heard these yet. It may take me 2 or 3 years to change all items.

So from people's experience which part of the system is likely to make the biggest deference is changed one piece at a time?

Thanks for your help.

The biggest difference probably would be the speakers, but I agree with others to start with the amp. If you have the Arcam A19 and A29 in sight, go and get a demo where you can listen to them side by side (and with your current speakers versus the Opticons). See how much of a difference you think the A29 makes. Depending on your impressions, that may lead you to listen to other amps around the A19 budget, or around the A29 budget. You will then have a much better idea of the levels of performance and how much you are prepared to spend. With the knowledge of hearing a few amps, you might be able to pick something up ex-demo, open box, end of line, or 2nd hand.

Personally, I would start with the amp, get as good as you can, forming the basis of your future system build.

dellroy

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
muljao said:
Someone on the forum here has changed that Denon amp for more expensive models twice, and went back to the denon

Really. Wow that's interesting. I would ideally love to rent the amps ima, interested in and try at home. Do some retailers allow home trials?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
dellroy said:
Do some retailers allow home trials?

Good ones do....but you may have to leave some sort of deposit.

The other thing you can do (if home dem is frowned upon), is have the right to return it if you don't like the result.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
muljao said:
Someone on the forum here has changed that Denon amp for more expensive models twice, and went back to the denon

Just because an amp is more expensive doesn't necessarily make it a better amp, the design, component quality, and most importantly the power supply are far more critical, this is what makes a better amp .

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
dellroy said:

Do some retailers allow home trials?

Yes they do, ideally you should arrange a demo in their shop first - to build a 'relationship' but usually if they like the look of you, and take your credit card details (just in case), you should be able to borrow the items you like in the shop demo, to be sure they work in your room. Location wise, where are you?

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
2ndhandhifi in Stockton are the ONLY dealer in England that I'd consider doing business with.

Retro Reproduction in Edinburgh make up my total of 2 dealers in the UK.

I'd say that if a speaker needs an expensive (over £100) amplifier to sound "good" then that is a failing in the speaker and not in the amplifier.

There's a lot more to the world of speakers than Dali and Dynaudio.

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Arcam and dali are a great combination.most good CD players will match the Arcam.the dynaudio's might be a little refined for Arcam but are good too.arcam is a great place to start

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
lindsayt said:
2ndhandhifi in Stockton are the ONLY dealer in England that I'd consider doing business with.

Retro Reproduction in Edinburgh make up my total of 2 dealers in the UK.

I'd say that if a speaker needs an expensive (over £100) amplifier to sound "good" then that is a failing in the speaker and not in the amplifier.

There's a lot more to the world of speakers than Dali and Dynaudio.

Have you any recommendations for speakers and amps?

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
dellroy already has a reasonable solid state amplifier. His Dali Zensor 3 speakers are tragically bad.

Speakers are a highly personal choice, as looks and size are more important to many buyers than the sound quality per £ spent.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts