New amp: advice needed

Dougal1331

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
Evening all.
Had a busy, hectic, but nonetheless rewarding December. As a result, I've decided to treat myself, and I am basically going to walk down to Richer Sounds tomorrow and come out with something.

Probably amplifier-shaped, but who knows.

My current rig is a DacMagic Plus, Rotel RC03/2xRB03 pre-power, biamping Mission 752 Freedoms.

The recently-acquired 752s have had new tweeters installed (by me, very deliberately) , so they actually have some treble... They've since relegated my 753s and Zensor 5s into the corner, they are that good.
I think the Rotel combo is now holding things back, and although I love it dearly, I feel it's time for a change.

Obviously, I won't be able to biamp, but I don't think that's a huge loss really.

I have never, ever bought hifi 'properly'. I just walk in, buy stuff, and walk out. I do a bit of homework first, but I've never auditioned anything in my life!

So, can anyone give me one good reason why I shouldn't buy an Audiolab 6000a tomorrow? :)

Dougal1331

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
Haha no. I don't drive, and they weigh not quite a ton, but certainly enough...

I know the guys well down there. Not so risky as they've always said bring it back if I don't like it.

More of a flippant post really- basically, I'm going to buy one tomorrow (if they have one in stock of course) and not much will change that!
It'll also free up my DacMagic to use on the PC. Last DAC blew up...

gasolin

rega elicit r, according to whathifi the CXA60 sounds better than the CXA80, mabye a CXA61 is better, MUSICAL FIDELITY M2SI (good reviews by whahifi) a couple of Emotiva BasX A-300 if you need more power

Dougal1331

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
Digital only at present - everything goes through the DacMagic so I didn't bother listing the rest!

May add a Planar 2 at some point, but not important as I have a phono stage even if a new amp hasn't...

My tastes are generally electronic, with the occasional bit of rock or metal. Rarely listen to anything gentle, and definitely no jazz, folk or classical.
So a clean, analytical sound can actually suit, and I'm of the thinking that with my music tastes, the Audiolab 6000a might open things up a bit - the 752s can be a bit 'thick' sometimes.

Still, I have reassessed my approach, and given this will be my biggest single hifi purchase ever, I'm going to try them out first!

Dougal1331

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
First impressions: Boom. Back of the net.

The 752s have been bloody impressive so far with their new tweeters. I didn't know just how good they really are...

Oh my god. My jaw will most likely remain on the floor for a while yet.
😁😁😁😁😁😁

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts