New cartridge up to £100

Nikphillips

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
I'm looking for a new cartridge up to £100. I'm leaning toward a 2M red but I'm open to other ideas. My turntable is a Systemdek 11X900. The square arm board type. With an RB200 arm. I'm using Arcam A65 pre and power amps and B&W DM603 speakers.

Your thoughts would be most appreciated.

Cheers

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
The 2M Red is a good choice and goes well with the Systemdek and Rega arm :)

Plus you can upgrade the stylus to a Blue in the future if & when funds allow.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Nagaoka MP110 - the best sub £100 cart IMO

Also you can add the MP200 stylus at a later date - this is a signifacant upgrade - it has a Boron Cantilever and this really does make a big difference !

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

stevebrock said:
Nagaoka MP110 - the best sub £100 cart IMO

Also you can add the MP200 stylus at a later date - this is a signifacant upgrade - it has a Boron Cantilever and this really does make a big difference !

I was going to say I know a man who could sell you one. ;)

But, Amazon have it at a great price at the moment.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nagaoka-MP-110-Moving-Magnet-Cartridge/dp/B00IOPOOO6/ref=sr_1_11?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1394127522&sr=1-11&keywords=Nagaoka

Milo_Myage

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
I've been eyeing up the MP110 for some time now (mostly because of you lot banging on about nag carts) and if the bits I have on ebay aym do some money I'll probably take the plunge. How easy is it gonna be for a novice to fit one to a rega arm?

Milo_Myage said:
I've been eyeing up the MP110 for some time now (mostly because of you lot banging on about nag carts) and if the bits I have on ebay aym do some money I'll probably take the plunge. How easy is it gonna be for a novice to fit one to a rega arm?

Pretty easy as long as you have an alignment protractor of some type, and something to measure tracking downforce preferably, as I never found Rega that accurate.

Just take care removing the wires from your old cartridge (needle-nosed pliers help).

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Be quick.

http://www.divineaudio.co.uk/nagaoka-mp-110-moving-magnet-cartridge

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I find Ortofon tread a good, neutral line between some of the alternatives. Allrounders that impart less of their own character on music than others and with an even frequency response. The Shure MX97XE is another option. It uses a .2 x .7 elliptical (as opposed to the .4 x .7 on the Nagaoke) but it ideally needs a phono pre-amplifier with different loading options to counteract a slight downward curve at higher frequencies. Mid-level detail is very good though, up with the Ortofon red/blue.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shure-M97xE-High-Performance-Magnetic-Turntable-Phono-Cartridge-/181265045059?_trksid=p2054897.l4276

regards

leftfield

Jun 13, 2008
Visit site
Not sure if you bought a cartridge but I can highly recommend the Nagaoka MP 110. It's only been on my deck 10-15 hrs but already sounding great and is getting better. I previously had an Ortofon510 mk2 and the improvement in sound is marked. In one word, smooth!!

chrisr1718

Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
I've had my TT a few years now and thought it's about time a gave it treat so I've just taken the plunge, just ordered an MP110 from Divine! I had an MP11 Boron years ago on my Dual CS505, always loved the sound.

Time to dig out the vinyl! :rockout:

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
chrisr1718 said:
I've had my TT a few years now and thought it's about time a gave it treat so I've just taken the plunge, just ordered an MP110 from Divine! I had an MP11 Boron years ago on my Dual CS505, always loved the sound.

Time to dig out the vinyl! :rockout:

Good choice!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts