New B&W 683 s2 with Yamaha RN500?

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
So iv decided against the Q2050i's as iv seen some good reviews for the new 683s and i like the look of them. Are they a good step up in quality over 2050i? seeing as they are double the price? and would the RN500 be a good match?

thanks

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
With the B&Ws being fairly new, it doesn't look like a combination people have checked out. There seem to be a few owners of the Yamaha on the forum, but no comments from them.

I haven't heard either, so please just take my comments as educated guesswork. I think it should sound OK, provided your room is big enough for the speakers to prevent bloated bass issues. Ideally I'd pair the speakers with more expensive amplification myself.

Other things I've read seem to indicate that the Yamaha is like the s500 with networking capability. The s500 has a reputation for being a bit bright, so you might want to keep that in mind when considering the sound signature.

tl;dr: On specifications it should work, but slightly better amplification might be a better match. Due to that and a potential reputation for brightness/harshness I'd definitely want to listen to the combination first.

rainsoothe

ID. said:
With the B&Ws being fairly new, it doesn't look like a combination people have checked out. There seem to be a few owners of the Yamaha on the forum, but no comments from them.

I haven't heard either, so please just take my comments as educated guesswork. I think it should sound OK, provided your room is big enough for the speakers to prevent bloated bass issues. Ideally I'd pair the speakers with more expensive amplification myself.

Other things I've read seem to indicate that the Yamaha is like the s500 with networking capability. The s500 has a reputation for being a bit bright, so you might want to keep that in mind when considering the sound signature.

tl;dr: On specifications it should work, but slightly better amplification might be a better match. Due to that and a potential reputation for brightness/harshness I'd definitely want to listen to the combination first.

those would be my thoughts as well.

If I remember right on your Q Acoustics thread you said you need to position the speakers pretty close to a wall and that your room was like 20 square meters or something under that. And in that thread, for the budget you provided, people recommended standmounts. Seems like your budget has changed, so please refresh on budget, room size, speaker positioning possibilities, main music you're into and desired listening level.

I mean I was set on floorstanders, reading all over the place that they go that much lower and blabla, but I now think that for my space standmounts might be more apropriate (at least without some serious acoustic treatment, which is expensive and... not spouse friendly). I'm actually considering trading my Martin Logan floorstanders in for their standmounted counterparts. My point is that you should try auditioning in your space, and also that floorstanders are not THE absolute best in all given situations. (by the way, Martin Logan is a brand you should audition as well).

But again: please refresh on budget, room size, speaker positioning possibilities, main music you're into and desired listening level for fresh suggestions :)

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
The op was given some sensible advice on his speaker choice (in another thread) but has ignored it and gone in entirely the opposite direction. Bigger more capable speakers need more space and better amplification, simple as that.

In the absence of the help of a decent dealer, I feel that he should buy what he fancies and learn about what does and does not work for himself.

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Iv not ignored the advice at all, I am new to the hifi game and so am working out my options. You told me to use better amplification for the speakers so iv looked into the RN500, much more power but has the networking i want from the HM82. You told me the Q2050i have a tendancy to be uncontrolled and can boom easily so iv looked at the 683 s2 as iv heard they are tighter and more controlled and they have a front port so easier for my distance to the wall. How is that not taking your advice?

I listen to a lot of different music from Fink(acoustic folky guitar stuff) to Noisia(drum and bass) and I would also be using them for movies. I like a dry warm sound with the "artist is in front of you" sparkle you get with certain recordings if that helps.

Budget is about £1500 for everything. Main reason for asking about 683 is that they won the award in the price above the 2050i and they seem to fit more of what I need due to the above points so I wondered if they would be that much better to justify the price hike.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Because the reviews talk about the speakers needing a lot of room and having a lot of bass, and while you're looking at better amplification you're also looking at speakers that are even more demanding than the Q2050i. The amplification, while rated higher, is still at a pretty basic level so you really need to hear it for yourself. As mentioned, booming is also an issue with the room and the space the speakers have, so going for an even larger speaker probably isn't going to solve your problem. So in that sense, you haven't really understood all of the advice, which wasn't just about better amplification.

The 684s2 (or even Q2050i) is probably a better match for that amplification, but even then I'd be looking for something a bit better. The rated power doesn't tell the whole story because it also needs to be able to handle changes in speaker impedence, and I'm fairly sure the big B&Ws are very demanding in that respect. In that sense, a better amp that can supply more current but has a lower power/wattage rating may actually perform better. I'd be reluctant to pair the 683s2 even with the Arcam A19 and I'd be looking for something ballsier like the Rotel RA-1570.

It's a mistake a lot of people make. They reason that it won an award so it must be good. I'm sure they are great speakers, but they need to have suitable amplification, and when they won the award they would have been tested with a range of quite serious amplification and in a treated listening room. Maybe the testers can chime in about some of the lower powered amps they tried.

As Dave suggested, you can try mixing and matching yourself and go through an (expensive) process of trial and error if you'd rather just go on the basis of something winning an award in a context completely different from your budget and listening room, or you could go and discuss with a dealer and let them show you a few options around your budget. I would never spend that amount of money without an audition. Heck, in the UK it sounds like some dealers let you audition in your own home, which is what is really needed to see how it will perform in your room, because from what I remember from your previous thread it seemed like the room and placement was a major contributor to the loose bass. Throwing more bass at it won't solve the problem.

To be honest, even the 685s2 might have enough bass and scale for your situation.

rainsoothe

I think I agree with everything ID said, it's a very good reply. Personally I would look at Naim Unitiqute 2 (there's a cheaper ex-dem one on the bay atm with 14 days refund, so you can lug it around at dealers to match it with speakers if you want) and audition it with B&W 685s2, Kef LS50 or whatever Martin Logan (motion 15), Focal (aria 906), Monitor Audio, Dali, Neat, PMC or Sonus Faber speakers fit your remaining budget (or overshooting it by 1-200, at least to form an idea, and maybe you're lucky and find cheaper ex-dem units). Don't let the low output... put you off, Naim watts are awesome. And you can later add a NAP 100 if you feel the need for more juice.

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Ok so.. I went to Superfi and Richer sounds today to listen and get their opinion as per your advice. SO glad I did, listened to 2050i, monitor audio silver 6 and 8, B&W 683 s2 and CM8 and a couple standmounters.The 2050is were my favorite and way cheaper! Listened with a Yamaha s500 and a Cambridge Minx XI as they said it was really good for the networking im looking for and has a great dac. Have to say it was a great little amp for the low power output, sounded warmer and less digital than the Yamaha, only thing im put off by is its appeareance, loks like a cb radio. Are there any other mini all in ones that will have a similar quality? the Nads look a bit better but couldnt try one.

rainsoothe

hybridauth_Facebook_671584917 said:
Are there any other mini all in ones that will have a similar quality?

Yes. As I said, Naim Unitiqute 2 (or Unitilite) :)

But anyway, see what difference auditions can make? Auditioning in your home would be ideal if possible - I mean if they offer the service, you shouldn't rush, and indeed take advantage of home auditioning (when you're set on like a couple of combinations, like the one that's appealing to you atm (2050i + CA minx).

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
See what a difference hearing for yourself makes........*preved*

I have a soft spot for 2050is, I think they are great VFM but as has been said earlier, they do need a bit od space.

A lot depends on the functionality you require and what you are prepaired to pay to get it. I have always wanted to try the 2050i with a Nad D7050 but have never had the opportunity.

NSA_watch_my_toilet

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site

Sorry to destroy something. But bad reviews are very difficult to find on the internet because they are made difficult to find with the common navigators. Could see it with two very critical reviews about ProAC D18 and Accuphase E-600, that disappeared from google within a week. But they are not the only brands to pay for erasing bad reviews. What I try to say is, not to believe specially positive reviews that are thrown to you from everywhere, but to build yourself an experience that will allow you too see through the bull_things that is written everywhere for every existing product.

TRENDING THREADS