New Arcam FMJ CD37 and CD17 line up

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

fr0g:Graham_Thomas:Back on topic and ignoring fr0g - I'll well looking forward to reviews of the FMJ CD37 - but particularly the CD17 at £500 seems a snip for an FMJ with the 'latest DAC chip' etc. compared to my CD93..............

:D

What exactly are you ignoring?
I assume you are mistaking my post for Hughes post. (Look at the quotes)
Please check and maybe an apology?
I absolutely think equipment can sound different, at whatever level!

Ignoring your cheek regarding someone's grammar - if you were joking then apologies.

A

Anonymous

Will this now be reviewed in the September edition? Thanks.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Clare - appreciate the update!! Just in time for my subscription to kick in, in September hopefully! Oh, I missed the £1 trial offer too so any chance of a freebie like an Arcam CD17? ;-)

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
Will there be any chance of the CD17 review popping up here, or will it be in an upcoming mag?

I've been holding off buying the CD192 in case the CD17 was a winner. Knowing my luck, the cheap CD192's will have sold out by the time I make my mind up to buy one
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

bigblue235:
Will there be any chance of the CD17 review popping up here, or will it be in an upcoming mag?

I've been holding off buying the CD192 in case the CD17 was a winner. Knowing my luck, the cheap CD192's will have sold out by the time I make my mind up to buy one
emotion-1.gif

Exactly the same situation as me - see Clare Newsome's (Editor in Chief) response a few post ago - asap for the CD17 as they have just received a copy.

What machine do you have at the mo?

Graham

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Well I bought a cheap 192 for £400, and sold my 7 year old 92 for £275.

Mind you I had promised not to buy any more hifi kit for a couple of years, and just about got away with it by saying the old one was due a service which would have cost...oooh...hundreds

emotion-11.gif

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
Graham_Thomas: Exactly the same situation as me - see Clare Newsome's (Editor in Chief) response a few post ago - asap for the CD17 as they have just received a copy. What machine do you have at the mo? Graham

Hi there, I noticed Clare's comment that they'd received it, I was just curious as to whether we'd see the review here or in the mag!

You're in the same situation too? Hmmm, you're starting to scare me. We seem to have spookily similar names, and now similar tastes in CD players
emotion-1.gif

I have a Rotel 951 at the mo. I had a CD73 on order and then noticed the price reductions, so it was hastily cancelled. I'm now unsure whether to go for the CD73 and the T61 tuner, the CD192, or the CD17. Decisions!

JoelSim:Well I bought a cheap 192 for £400, and sold my 7 year old 92 for £275.

Mind you I had promised not to buy any more hifi kit for a couple of years, and just about got away with it by saying the old one was due a service which would have cost...oooh...hundreds

I've been watching your posts with interest! If only I could get my hands on a P85, I'd definitely go for the CD192. But as I can't, I think a move up to the FMJ stuff might be necessary. It'd be a slow move though!

Also, that's a good excuse, may have to try that one. The whole "but they're stopping making them, if I don't get it now I'll never get it" excuse has been over-used in our household, and sadly this time it's true!

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
bigblue235:
Graham_Thomas: Exactly the same situation as me - see Clare Newsome's (Editor in Chief) response a few post ago - asap for the CD17 as they have just received a copy. What machine do you have at the mo? Graham

Hi there, I noticed Clare's comment that they'd received it, I was just curious as to whether we'd see the review here or in the mag!

You're in the same situation too? Hmmm, you're starting to scare me. We seem to have spookily similar names, and now similar tastes in CD players
emotion-1.gif

I have a Rotel 951 at the mo. I had a CD73 on order and then noticed the price reductions, so it was hastily cancelled. I'm now unsure whether to go for the CD73 and the T61 tuner, the CD192, or the CD17. Decisions!

JoelSim:Well I bought a cheap 192 for £400, and sold my 7 year old 92 for £275.

I've been watching your posts with interest! If only I could get my hands on a P85, I'd definitely go for the CD192. But as I can't, I think a move up to the FMJ stuff might be necessary. It'd be a slow move though!

Also, that's a good excuse, may have to try that one. The whole "but they're stopping making them, if I don't get it now I'll never get it" excuse has been over-used in our household, and sadly this time it's true!

The P85 comes up on eBay relatively frequently. Just keep your eye out.

And regarding your similar names and systems it reminds me of when Andy Goram, the Scottish keeper, was diagnosed with mild schizophrenia and the 'away' fans started singing 'There's only two Andy Gorams, two Andy Gorams...'

emotion-11.gif

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
bigblue235:

All reviews are posted online - it's just a question of timing as to whether they go up before or after print publication! I wouldn't expect to see a rush-review, as we'd want to make sure we've given the player a very good going over.

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
JoelSim:The P85 comes up on eBay relatively frequently. Just keep your eye out. And regarding your similar names and systems it reminds me of when Andy Goram, the Scottish keeper, was diagnosed with mild schizophrenia and the 'away' fans started singing 'There's only two Andy Gorams, two Andy Gorams...'
emotion-11.gif

As a 'Gers fan, I remember that well! Very funny it was too. Not as good as the Tartan Army song at the Norway match though... "Sing when you're whaling, You only sing when you're whaling". Sorry, I digress...

ClareNewsome:All reviews are posted online - it's just a question of timing as to whether they go up before or after print publication! I wouldn't expect to see a rush-review, as we'd want to make sure we've given the player a very good going over

Ah, great news, thanks for explaining.

A

Anonymous

bigblue235:

emotion-1.gif

If we have similar jobs (I'm a civil servant) but you get more money - can we swap? :p

Seriously going to go for this player at £450 it's gotta be a no brainer. Someone on another forum said it was all round better than the CD192.......

A

Anonymous

That's the chap - indeed but for £450 a punt and listen I can't see a reason not to try it.

Divine doo dah Audio has them for £450 most others £500 so some negotiation is in order methinks.

A

Anonymous

I've actually bought an Arcam CD192 for £325 (BNIB coming later this week) - going to test for a few weeks, wait for the WHF review of the CD17 in the October issue and decide whether or not the 192 is keepers (or indeed my CD93), or a CD17 is in order.

Looks like the Cyrus CD8SE will be hard to beat according to October's issue....... but I like the Arcam souns with my kit.

A

Anonymous

Graham_Thomas:I've actually bought an Arcam CD192 for £325 (BNIB coming later this week) - going to test for a few weeks, wait for the WHF review of the CD17 in the October issue and decide whether or not the 192 is keepers (or indeed my CD93), or a CD17 is in order.

Looks like the Cyrus CD8SE will be hard to beat according to October's issue....... but I like the Arcam sound with my kit.

The 192 is in - running in for a few days and will report back!

A

Anonymous

for those interested (and i hope i cause no offence to the WHV team) HFC have just reviewed the CD37 and gave it a rave review! 5 stars for sound, build and value. also interesting to see it has SACD playback too!

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I've listened to a direct comparison of a CD192 and the CD17. The CD17 wipes the floor...This new Wolfson 8741 DAC is something very special. The player seems to extract another level of emotion out of the music, I can only describe it as when listening to the CD17 all of a sudden I could imagine the musicians giving glances to each other, I could feel the synergy of musicians playing together that I have not experienced with other players. Oh, the CD17 has amazing detail and soundstage too.

I have compared it to the CD37. It all boils down to whether you want SACD really. There are more subtle differences with this comparison and I think I would personally sway towards the CD17.

Some have compared the CD17 to a £10,000 DAC and prefered the CD17, it really is an amazing buy.

HifiTestMonkey

A

Anonymous

Hifi test monkey:
Hi,

I've listened to a direct comparison of a CD192 and the CD17. The CD17 wipes the floor...This new Wolfson 8741 DAC is something very special. The player seems to extract another level of emotion out of the music, I can only describe it as when listening to the CD17 all of a sudden I could imagine the musicians giving glances to each other, I could feel the synergy of musicians playing together that I have not experienced with other players. Oh, the CD17 has amazing detail and soundstage too.

I have compared it to the CD37. It all boils down to whether you want SACD really. There are more subtle differences with this comparison and I think I would personally sway towards the CD17.

Some have compared the CD17 to a £10,000 DAC and prefered the CD17, it really is an amazing buy.

HifiTestMonkey

Praise indeed, and I'm just burning in my new CD192, which is far superior to my CD93.....

So I may be having two sales on eBay to fund my CD17 soon...........and have a bit of spare cash.

I will give it another month run in and await the WHF review.

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
I knew someone, somewhere would say great things about the CD17 after I bought the 192. Sod's Law
emotion-1.gif

Regardless, I think I'll stick with the 192. If I bought an FMJ CD player then I'd no doubt want an FMJ amp. I'm currently trying to buy a T61 and P85, and no doubt those would need changed to FMJ equivalents too.

If I bought FMJ, no doubt they'd change that range in some way too! So, for both my bank balance and sanity, I shall stick with the DiVA stuff!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Hifi test monkey:

Hi,

HifiTestMonkey

I appreciate your opinion but I personally certainly would/nt say the the cheaper player is in any way superior to the 37. When connected to the A28 and compared back to back the latter seemed an improvement in most respects to these (and some other helpful) ears. I've posted my opinions on it a few days ago.

A

Anonymous

drummerman:

I appreciate your opinion but I personally certainly would/nt say the the cheaper player is in any way superior to the 37. When connected to the A28 and compared back to back the latter seemed an improvement in most respects to these (and some other helpful) ears. I've posted my opinions on it a few days ago.

DM im not sure he did say thatthe CD17 was superior in any way to the CD37 - i will say his wording is rather ambiguous though. i interpreted his post as saying he was very impressed with CD17 and CD37. however, unless a person needed SACD playback, he couldnt justify the extra expenditure of the CD37 to reap the (in his opinion) small performance gains. mind you i could be wrong!

with all this being said about both players (compared to the already much praised CD192) i am very keen to get to my local dealer and check them out though im not sure it would do my bank balance any good!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
ifitsoundsgoodlistentoit:drummerman:

DM im not sure he did say thatthe CD17 was superior in any way to the CD37 - i will say his wording is rather ambiguous though. i interpreted his post as saying he was very impressed with CD17 and CD37. however, unless a person needed SACD playback, he couldnt justify the extra expenditure of the CD37 to reap the (in his opinion) small performance gains. mind you i could be wrong!

with all this being said about both players (compared to the already much praised CD192) i am very keen to get to my local dealer and check them out though im not sure it would do my bank balance any good!

My apologies. Re-read it and he did'nt say that. The improvements are indeed subtle but worth it if the rest of the system is up to it.

A

Anonymous

bigblue235:
I knew someone, somewhere would say great things about the CD17 after I bought the 192. Sod's Law
emotion-1.gif

Regardless, I think I'll stick with the 192. If I bought an FMJ CD player then I'd no doubt want an FMJ amp. I'm currently trying to buy a T61 and P85, and no doubt those would need changed to FMJ equivalents too.

If I bought FMJ, no doubt they'd change that range in some way too! So, for both my bank balance and sanity, I shall stick with the DiVA stuff!

I'm doing the same on recommendation of a good quality hifi store - who's opinion I trust and who wouldn't try and sell you something as was, in their words, 'a sideways step'.

Love the CD192 but not much for me in the way of difference on my CD93 after about 120 hours run in, some more detail on some good quality recordings, a slightly fuller sound, more 'weight' to piano keys. Strings are lovely and light - rock guitars seem a bit further back in the mix, acoustic guitar sounds ace.
emotion-1.gif
For a £100 difference once I'd sold my CD93 it was a no brainer though.

Graham.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts