Need a new CD player, to replace old Rotel, but which!!???

Zawinul

Aug 26, 2016
Visit site
Dear Hi -fi bufferoonies
regular_smile.png

A simple problem really

My trusy old Rotel CD player the legendary model RCD 855 is really feeling its age, transport mechanism is creaky its skipping a lot so its time to replace
omg_smile.png

my set up is simple

Amp: Arcam Alpha 8

Speakers: Monitor Audio Golds

So a very nice, clean ,clear unbrash sound going on and I would like something to continue in that line....

I went to Richer Sounds (no other high street hi-fi shops left in Bournemouth!!) they were saying that cheaper end Marantz and Cambridge Audio won;t be as good a replacement for the Rotel, but surely even a cheaper end CD player would have upgraded from 30 year old player good though it is!?

I can;t afford really high end, maybe I can go as hi as £500 so could get the ARcam CD player with SACD and streming, though reviews are not great . any thoughts?

what abour Marantz CD6006?

of for a bargain just to tide me over what about Marantz CD5005 I can get for £169 new!!

@nd hand options, old ARCam CDs are they any good?

Richer also suggested I get an ARCAM DAc for £400 and then a transport... more money but better? which transport?

Any other advice cheers

Z

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Zawinul said:
Dear Hi -fi bufferoonies

A simple problem really

My trusy old Rotel CD player the legendary model RCD 855 is really feeling its age, transport mechanism is creaky its skipping a lot so its time to replace

my set up is simple

So a very nice, clean ,clear unbrash sound going on and I would like something to continue in that line....

I went to Richer Sounds (no other high street hi-fi shops left in Bournemouth!!) they were saying that cheaper end Marantz and Cambridge Audio won;t be as good a replacement for the Rotel, but surely even a cheaper end CD player would have upgraded from 30 year old player good though it is!?

I can;t afford really high end, maybe I can go as hi as £500 so could get the ARcam CD player with SACD and streming, though reviews are not great . any thoughts?

what abour Marantz CD6006?

of for a bargain just to tide me over what about Marantz CD5005 I can get for £169 new!!

Richer also suggested I get an ARCAM DAc for £400 and then a transport... more money but better? which transport?

Any other advice cheers

Z

Hi

Something like a Rega Apollo R would be a good buy

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

I wouldn't break the bank for a cd player these days...they're cheap as chips used....check out some used arcam units on eBay...cd72 pretty cheap and great sound..cd82 better still and for a couple of hundred quid you can bag yourself the legendary ring dac cd92...that's what I'd buy...if it fails a year down the line you ain't put out a lot of coin out on it and bag another....but these units are very reliable to boot.

Muddywaterstones

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
Any chance of opening up the Rotel? Sometimes all that's needed is a bit of grease on the white plastic cogs and the rails. Might as well clean the lens while its open too. Rescued my Rotel that way, after watching a couple of videos on Youtube as I am no expert.

jjbomber

Zawinul said:
my set up is simple

Second hand Arcam DVD player that is NOT 4K. They go cheap as chips these days but remain outstanding CD players for the money. There are a few on here that have gone down that route. Unbeatable value for money.

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
As another has said, the CD72 was very highly regarded in it's day. I bought one in 1999, not long after they came out, and paid £400 for it. Worth every penny. Replaced it a couple of years ago with my CD6, which was a fairly small step up, but a step up nontheless. I'd describe it as an overall tightening up of the sound.

I think most people on here would agree that if you're happy to go second hand, you've got a very heatlhy budget there for a belting CD player...

D

Deleted member 160668

As JJ says, Arcam DVD player is a good shout.

I picked up my DV79 for £60ish and it sounds far far better than sixty quids worth.

Gray

Muddywaterstones said:
Any chance of opening up the Rotel? Sometimes all that's needed is a bit of grease on the white plastic cogs and the rails. Might as well clean the lens while its open too. Rescued my Rotel that way, after watching a couple of videos on Youtube as I am no expert.

I'd be doing that before anything else.

I'm a massive fan of rescues.

Something more serious? Nothing but a bit of time lost, then buy something else.

Zawinul

Aug 26, 2016
Visit site
Thank you peeps sme really excllent replies, I had not even thought of opening up the Rotel! ,I could do that as a last option , cheers

I like the ARcam DVD idea too ...

if I had money i would go for DAc and transpoirt, maybe later down the line

Cheers again

ZZ

I had two Arcam DVD players and one CD player before I bought my Moon CD player.

The arcam dv88 was the much better sounding of the two DVD players. I had the DV88 and DV79.

But, the much earlier, and cheaper arcam Alpha (the first one) bettered them both for musicality.

Only really let down by the plastic front panel.. apart from that, a bargain at £30. You still see them on eBay cheap.

Theres an arcam Alpha 7se on there right now going for buttons, and will match your amp.

D

Deleted member 160668

Along this idea...

Another option would be an Arcam MCD 6 disc changer, which uses Arcam Alpha 8 cd components I believe (correct me if I’m wrong peeps) and can be picked up sub £100. These are much rarer though

Had one few years ago and sounded pretty good.

*also if it’s useful to anyone... Old Arcam kit uses Philips remote codes so it’s unimportant if buying 2nd hand and it’s got no remote as can just pick up cheap programmable one.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
This is like a Groundhog Day thread.

The DV79 is a very decent CDP; but I also agree with Bigfish, in that the DV88 is a bit better. There is also the DV135. I don't think any of these will disappoint.

mond

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Roksan Caspian Cd player

Audiolab 8200CD 8200 CD player

music fidelity X-Ray CD Player

CYRUS CD6s cd player with remote

Rega Planet CD Player

​All the above within your budget on a well known auction site

gasolin

I have the marantz cd5005 with Inakustik Premium stereo RCA and it sounds really good , i have no need to by a better one.

My old one was a rotel rcd-bx965 discrete le, my maratntz cd5005 sounds better

I can't find any fault, if i had to be nit picking it's that i can hear it spin when thers no music, it's so weak i don't hear it when i play music, it's less that a quality pc fan at low rpm, the marantz cd5005 even let's you use a better power cable if you want to

My old one was a re
jdt7kngat9qa1p1gb9b.png
Inakustik Premium stereo RCAInakustik Premium stereo RCA

TRENDING THREADS