Arcam or Marantz

Gonepostal

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Hi, just would like to get some opinions on an upgrade I’m considering. I currently listen to records but I’m also wanting to start listening to my cds again.

Cutrent set up: Teac tn400 TT and Marantz mcr510. I’m using the phono stage built into the tt. It all sounds pretty good to me, I’m aware it’s a very basic set up but still It sounds ok.

Ive seen a deal for Arcam Fmj a29 amp and matching CD player on line and I’m thinking of buying it, I don’t drive so auditioning stuff is hard. This would allow me to use the phono stage in the Arcam which must be an improvement!!

I’m also considering the Marantz mcr611 and buying a separate phono pre amp, thus would be cheaper than buying the Arcam amp/cd player. I’m assuming the Arcam is the way to go for pure sound quality, but would it be a night and day difference to the Mcr611 with pre amp. Had anyone any experience with these set ups or opinions. My speakers are Dali Zensor 5. Thanks.

The arcam will **** all over the marantz mcr 611 I'm pretty sure....you're talking a dedicated amp with on board stage vs a midi /cd amp player.....it really is a no brainer...also the arcam will drive those dali's far better than the marantz can even dream of,so that in itself will be a night and day difference.... This would give you a good solid foundation to the start of a fine sounding system.....but dooooo go and have a listen to the amp /cd player first before you spend your hard earned.....one persons night and days difference is another's...."yes it is better...BUT is it worth the extra dosh".....only you can decide and make such a decision as it's your ears and your money after all.

Gonepostal

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for replying. That’s pretty much what I thought. Trouble is I can get to RS to listen to them but I’d be buying from somewhere else. Feels wrong to use RS just to audition them.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Gonepostal said:
Thanks for replying. That’s pretty much what I thought. Trouble is I can get to RS to listen to them but I’d be buying from somewhere else. Feels wrong to use RS just to audition them. 

Agree

Stuart.W.D

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi
I actually have a Ruark R4 in my kitchen. The overall sound is great.
My main set up is Marantz separate system, the sonic performance of the Marantz is a step up from my Ruark.
As far as a night & day comparisons goes then no,
I believe you will hear a difference with the Arcam combo, better soundstage and a overall fuller sound.

But why not book your demo with Richer Sounds, then try to price-match when your
their in store, at least this way you give Richer Sounds the chance to get your business, you can give yourself the chance to demo other gear in store as well if the Arcam sound is not for you.

D

Deleted member 160668

Personal opinion of course and each persons view is very subjective... But I have the A29 and it is great.

I am a notorious box swapper but I’ve had this for a while now, and it sounds excellent.

Sevenoaks had a great deal recently on them - not sure if it’s still around.

Gonepostal

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for replies. Sevenoaks do have that offer, I’ve seen an ex demo pair (amp and CD player) for under £800. Not sure if RS could match that, I may ring them first and ask them.

Gonepostal

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Yep looked at the solo, unfortunately it is to deep to fit on sideboard, the A29 interested me because it’s only approx 27cm deep. My sideboard is about 35 cm deep so the Marantz And Yamaha units are out.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts