New Amplifier - Suggestions please!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
radiorog said:
Electro said:
Mastevens90 said:
Hello All, thanks for the responses. A lot of talk about Abrahamsen then! Not even a manufacturer I had heard of. I'm wondering where I could audition in the UK though.. Seems tempting to stick with the established brands of Roksan, Rega, Music Fidelity etc

If you talk to Colin at IQ .

http://www.iqspeakers.co.uk/?gclid=CJfq-7nu9MgCFSoEwwodtMEDOQ#!abrahamsen-audio/ckbj

I am sure he could arrange a demo for you either in Cheltenham where he is based or maybe a home demo or possibly loan you a demo unit .

All of the mainstream amps you mention are very good in their own right but the Abrahamsen amp is a whole different kettle of fish imo , only an audition will allow you to understand.

It would be easy to take your pick from the usual suspects but as far as I know everyone who has listened to the Abrahamsen has bought one which says it all really .*smile*

< END QUOTE p I havent bought one........yet! And I might not. Its a great amp, but the roksan wasnt too far behind, and had quite a similar sound. Plus the roksan has more power which can notice sometimes.Im not sure the aabrahamsen would be loud enough for me when im listening to the nexus tablrt when streaming,because I turn the tablet down a notch to prevent noticable distortion. And I loke to listen at high volumes sometimes, if I am in another room in the house, I like to crank it up so the sound fills the flat :) I know everyone will say the abrahamsen is loud enough, but its a close call for my needs, id have to turn it above 85% of the total available volume, which I know evryone says wont be an issue for the amp, but I may have to turn it to 95% and I wander about the actual distortion levels. That said, if I could afford it id buy one, listen to both amps over a longer period and see which I totally prefer.
double post

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Brand new, I would suggest getting to hear Rega Elex-R, Sugden Mystro, Arcam A29, and Exposure 2010S2D. These would give you a good overview of quality amps around your budget. Also, don't dismiss top-end models from the likes of Denon, Marantz, and Onkyo. The Denon PMA-1520ae is a superb amp within budget and may be just the thing you are looking for.

Secondhand and ex-demo is well worth looking at, and I'd be on the look out for a Sugden A21SE, Exposure 3010S2, or Creek Destiny 2, all of which would give you a step up from what you can buy new for the same money.

The key is auditioning and doing so in your own system.

This is still the best advice in terms of where to start. Some light reading suggests that the Missions need some power to work at their best. I would take a look at what your local dealer has in stock (around your budget) and book a demo with them. Then try to arrange a home demo of what you like best. And if you are near Cheltenham try the Abe too. If you have the patience just take your time.

Once you have a better idea of what you like, you may decide to take a chance on a SH unit.

shadders

Hi,

Has the Abrahamsen amplifier been reviewed and tested by the UK hifi press?

What are the criteria for obtaining a review of the amplifier - that is, is an advertising contract with said magazine required?

If all that is required is a sample sent to the hifi magazine offices, then surely this is a beneficial task for essentially free publicity and endorsement of an amplifier based on its performance and design.

Regards,

Shadders.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
shadders said:
Hi,

What are the criteria for obtaining a review of the amplifier - that is, is an advertising contract with said magazine required?

If all that is required is a sample sent to the hifi magazine offices, then surely this is a beneficial task for essentially free publicity and endorsement of an amplifier based on its performance and design.

Regards,

Shadders.

Actually some hifi manufacturers do not want to go down that route for various reasons. Also it assumes your product will get a good review. Maybe some manufacturers don't have much respect for some magazine reviewers.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
BigH said:
shadders said:
Hi,

Regards,

Shadders.

Actually some hifi manufacturers do not want to go down that route for various reasons. Also it assumes your product will get a good review. Maybe some manufacturers don't have much respect for some magazine reviewers.

So the magazines are killing the industry?!! *shok*

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
radiorog said:
BigH said:
shadders said:
Hi,

Regards,

Shadders.

Who said that?

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
BigH said:
radiorog said:
BigH said:
shadders said:
Hi,

Regards,

Shadders.

Who said that?

Radiorog

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
radiorog said:
BigH said:
radiorog said:
BigH said:
shadders said:
Hi,

Regards,

Shadders.

Who said that?

Radiorog

Thought you were asking a question?

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
BigH said:
radiorog said:
BigH said:
radiorog said:
BigH said:
shadders said:
Hi,

Regards,

Shadders.

Who said that?

Radiorog

Noo, not really. Just making an insighted observation. If magazines don't review a lot of products/manufacturers that are actually better, then those manufacturers are doomed to only sell through word of mouth or other press, and will be missing out on a larger slice of the cake. But they keep their integrity and carry on making things they believe are superior. (For example).

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
radiorog said:
BigH said:
radiorog said:
BigH said:
radiorog said:
BigH said:
shadders said:
Hi,

Regards,

Shadders.

Who said that?

Radiorog

Noo, not really. Just making an insighted observation. If magazines don't review a lot of products/manufacturers that are actually better, then those manufacturers are doomed to only sell through word of mouth or other press, and will be missing out on a larger slice of the cake. But they keep their integrity and carry on making things they believe are superior. (For example).

As I said some choose not to send their products to WHF or whoever, although some mags buy the products off the shelf which I think is a better system. For one you are getting a standard product. 2 you can choose which ones to review. You don't have to wait for manufacturers to send you them. For example people have complained to WHF why no reviews of say Harbeth, other mags have them. Creek were very late in sending their 50A amp for review, again they got a mediorce review by WHF, that was 2 years after the release date. 2 other mags thought the Creek 50A was the best amp in that price range better than the Arcam A19 which was WHF amp of the year. Some small manufacturers probably could not handle a large influx of orders if they did win some award, I think Abrahamsen may fall into that category. It probably suits the larger manufacturers who can pay out for advertising.

BigH said:
radiorog said:
BigH said:
radiorog said:
BigH said:
radiorog said:
BigH said:
shadders said:
Hi,

Regards,

Shadders.

Who said that?

Radiorog

As I said some choose not to send their products to WHF or whoever, although some mags buy the products off the shelf which I think is a better system. For one you are getting a standard product. 2 you can choose which ones to review. You don't have to wait for manufacturers to send you them. For example people have complained to WHF why no reviews of say Harbeth, other mags have them. Creek were very late in sending their 50A amp for review, again they got a mediorce review by WHF, that was 2 years after the release date. 2 other mags thought the Creek 50A was the best amp in that price range better than the Arcam A19 which was WHF amp of the year. Some small manufacturers probably could not handle a large influx of orders if they did win some award, I think Abrahamsen may fall into that category. It probably suits the larger manufacturers who can pay out for advertising.

Your comment about small manufacturers not being able to cope is very true. Just look at what happened to EB Acoustics. Great reviews can have their downsides.

Mastevens90

May 22, 2016
Visit site
Hi all, for those of you that like happy endings - I went for a Roksan Caspian M2.. Took delivery today. I love it! Am extremely impressed. The improvement over the Marantz Ki is significant. Happy (hifi) days!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts