New amplifier: my long journey...

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:
...if they are expecting me to get 6k eur out without having a home trial...that's end of story!

May not be. If this is something that would make life easier, ring MF and speak to Indra; she is very helpful, and can probably expedite matters.

I have fixed this with my dealer. I told him there was a demo unit in Brussels (the shop where I tried the AMS) so he called the importer and asked to get the unit shipped to his shop...at least I can try everything at once.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
Have you tried Copland or Electrocompaniet? Prefer them myself to Musical Fidelity. There's also T+A, which you might be able to get in Belgium.

You sound like you have amazing dealers over there, mate - puts many to shame, especially a couple in oz that shall remain nameless.

Didn't try those brands to be honest.

Yes, after going around I finally found a serious person who has a lot of knowledge and is very helpful. He also has a lot of stuff. He is himself importer for Clearaudio for Belgium and Netherlands

How did it go in the ned with the speakers AL?

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Well, had the opportunity to try an old TT with Roby and a cheap but great for the price phono stage (the Musical Fidelity)...vinyl is definitely the way I want to go. Love the warm sound and all the pops and cracks typical of vinlyls...now there is the doubt about the other source! Will open a proper thread on that.

By the way, a decision on amp will be made before mid March...and I wil start building my dream system from there ;)

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
acalex said:
Love the warm sound and all the pops and cracks typical of vinlyls

if your records are very clean there will be no clicks and pops and that's the way vinyl should sound like. vinyl is NOT about clicks and pops.

I also have the MF phono stage. but when I upgraded my TT I also upgraded the phono stage. you'll hear a difference if you go up the ladder but for its price MF is very good.

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Hey no worry's when I buy the new TT I buy the Nokki oki cleaning system as well ;-)

But We recieved the MF vpls for the wknd and is the same price range as the Nad PP. But have to say it's way better

Once again MF convince me. I'm not saying all there product's are top. But for the moment everything I tried was top in there price range 'well done' :cheers:

Helmut80

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
alcalex, would you have a chance to audition any of the Michell TTs? I reckon you'd like something like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9ceZ661EXI

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Helmut80 said:
alcalex, would you have a chance to audition any of the Michell TTs? I reckon you'd like something like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9ceZ661EXI

To be honest don't really like the look. I prefer something more classic like this for example

Clearaudio-Concept-0.jpg

Helmut80

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
fortunately we all like different things! I do agree, the clean lines of the Clearaudio's are very appealing, but in practice I have found them a bit dull looking. I am saving up for a Gyrodec, if only for the bling factor. :oops:

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
oldric_naubhoff said:
acalex said:
Love the warm sound and all the pops and cracks typical of vinlyls

if your records are very clean there will be no clicks and pops and that's the way vinyl should sound like. vinyl is NOT about clicks and pops.

I also have the MF phono stage. but when I upgraded my TT I also upgraded the phono stage. you'll hear a difference if you go up the ladder but for its price MF is very good.

True, but still you will get some every now and then ;)

Not really the noise I like, is the warmth and the involvement of the vinyl sound which stunned me!

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Ok a first recap on where I am standing now concerning my amp decision...

Still have the tube amp Jadis 50RC Signature and the MF AMS35i on top of the list. For now I am strongly divided on this...as my heart says Jadis but my brain says AMS35i. Hopefully the next visit to the shop would make things more clear. My thoughts

- Jadis is more emotional sounding BUT not so much more as I thought compared to the AMS. Still needs to be assessed with different speakers and TT as a source. This might be the key.

- Jadis works best on the type of music I like (acoustic, voice and one/two instruments, jazz) BUT AMS is definitely not far from that. I was very surprised as this is where a top valve amp should shine and take distance from a SS one

- Jadis has a great bass for being a valve amp BUT of course the AMS35 is deeper and has a bit more control. AMS is a clear winner on this

- AMS35 is for sure a more flexible amp in terms of music, but has the disadvantage of needing warming up for at least 1h (best 1,5h) before you can really appreciate fully its musicality. Jadis is ready in 15/30 min.

- AMS35i will drive properly different speakers whilst the Jadis needs to be more carefully matched. Again this is not a huge problem as I am hoping to buy speakers for a life-time :read:

- AMS35i does not require any change of tubes and it is less delicate at this regard. Anyway I won't change any tube before at least 3/4 years anyway. So it's not an every year thing (this would have been very annoying).

- Jadis has a more appealing and sexy look (or at least my gf thinks so :doh: )...which is something I need to take into account also (she is allowing to have all the stuff I want, I owe her this at least) :silenced: . I personally like the look of the AMS

As you can see I am struggling with this, hope to find answers and take the plunge in March! :cheers:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I believe that your assessment of the pros and cons of the two amps is right on the money, and remember that Cardas cabling could narrow the gap further.

I find my 35i takes about half an hour to reach about 85% sound quality, taking about an hour to reach its full potential....it never sounds bad from cold.

I also have a suspicion that you may have a similar dilemma with DS (Klimax?)/Tube Dac vs TT. Your heart will say TT and your head Streamer/Dac, as I believe the sound will be closer than you think.

The Klimax is the most analogue sounding of the DS range (by some margin)....you have to hear what 24 bit sounds like on one of these things, as it's jaw dropping. In fact (imo) 16 bit on a Klimax sounds as good as 24 bit on a Majik (provided it is a reasonable recording).

If you are looking at TTs, you could do worse than listening to a Linn Sondek LP12....it's a very musical deck, but can get expensive as you start maxing it out.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
I believe that your assessment of the pros and cons of the two amps is right on the money, and remember that Cardas cabling could narrow the gap further.

I find my 35i takes about half an hour to reach about 85% sound quality, taking about an hour to reach its full potential....it never sounds bad from cold.

I also have a suspicion that you may have a similar dilemma with DS (Klimax?)/Tube Dac vs TT. Your heart will say TT and your head Streamer/Dac, as I believe the sound will be closer than you think.

The Klimax is the most analogue sounding of the DS range (by some margin)....you have to hear what 24 bit sounds like on one of these things, as it's jaw dropping. In fact (imo) 16 bit on a Klimax sounds as good as 24 bit on a Majik (provided it is a reasonable recording).

If you are looking at TTs, you could do worse than listening to a Linn Sondek LP12....it's a very musical deck, but can get expensive as you start maxing it out.

Thanks for intervenig Cno, was waiting for your insight! Do you still see a pattern emerging? :)

Actually regarding the source, I am not too much in conflict as I want both. I love the TT and I will get one for sure. But I know I can't give up on streaming as it's very handy. Only problem is if streaming from an all-in-one or getting a DAC + something...

Regarding the DS range now you really got me curios...and if you say so that has to be true as I am now contemplating to buy the amp you suggested me at the beginnig. We actually do have very similar taste! :bounce:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
Regarding the DS range now you really got me curios...and if you say so that has to be true as I am now contemplating to buy the amp you suggested me at the beginning......

......which one was that!; at this stage, I'm completely lost... :rofl:

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:
Regarding the DS range now you really got me curios...and if you say so that has to be true as I am now contemplating to buy the amp you suggested me at the beginning......

Come on!!! ;)

The AMS of course :rockout:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:

Come on!!! ;)

I'm not used to having what I say taken seriously, so given my new sense of power:

Klimax DS + AMS35i + GMs + Cardas = 8) (Job Done!) ;)

I think I'm looking forward to your demo in March, almost as much as you are.....It's been a fascinating journey to follow.

Helmut80

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:

Come on!!! ;)

I'm not used to having what I say taken seriously, so given my new sense of power: Klimax DS + AMS35i + GMs + Cardas = 8) (Job Done!) ;) I think I'm looking forward to your demo in March, almost as much as you are.....It's been a fascinating journey to follow.

Would it be too much to ask alcalex to provide a live feed for us?

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:

Come on!!! ;)

I'm not used to having what I say taken seriously, so given my new sense of power: Klimax DS + AMS35i + GMs + Cardas = 8) (Job Done!) ;) I think I'm looking forward to your demo in March, almost as much as you are.....It's been a fascinating journey to follow.

I am REALLY looking forward...with impatience and also with a bit of fear...as I don't want to feel even more trapped...hopefully the dealer will be able to point me into the right direction if I find myself very confused!!!

Indeed it was a great journey...sure you don't want to come for a we? ;)

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Helmut80 said:
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:

Come on!!! ;)

Would it be too much to ask alcalex to provide a live feed for us?

Live feed? What do you mean?

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
:rofl: I will try not to confuse you even more..... I'looking forward to hear those speakers.

Live feed will try...but is not that handy on a mobile...

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:

Come on!!! ;)

Me too!... perhaps we could organise a jolly boys outing to Belgium

beer.png

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Macspur said:
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:

Come on!!! ;)

Me too!... perhaps we could organise a jolly boys outing to Belgium

beer.png

Whenever you want :)! I can easily accomodate up to 3 people if 2 share a same sofa bed and third one a very comfortable camping mat ,)

TRENDING THREADS