New amplifier: my long journey...

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Macspur said:
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:
Quick update...the AMS is not available yet to compare against Jadis...maybe in 2 weeks! :wall:

Bummer!

All comes to those who wait

I feel your frustration!

Yes I am frustrated as I really like the Jadis as it's wonderful equipment but I know myself I can't put my mind at rest until I don't compare the two of them properly...

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Well...with my friend Roby we went to spend some hours in another shop in Antwerp...and was very interesting afternoon!!! A lot of stuff I found there....and I finally managed to listen to the M6i which I found a great amp. At that price level is really hard to beat...we tried also stuff at twice its price but still the M6i was a winner. Source was the M6CD player and speakers some amazing Audio Phisycs Avanti

We had opportunity to try an Accuphase at twice the price (4.8K), the Primare I32 (which despite being a class D amp was a fine and musical amp)...in only one song I preferred it to the M6i. Very detailed...very airy...not as full bodied and with character as the M6i sometimes.

M6i is really a stunning amp at that price range. What really blowed my mind were those Audio Phisycs speakers...an unbelievable presentation. Sounded wasn't aggressive at all and music was everywhere. Very detailed, fast and dynamic. A serios challenger...pity for the price which is over 10k eur. I am very interested in tryng those on the AMS35i

Still going through a serious thinking process. Most of the dealers seem to point me towards solid state instead of tube...they say sound quality of tube amps will decrease with time...is that true? The shop also had some Audio Note stuff...maybe net time :cheers:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
Well...with my friend Roby we went to spend some hours in another shop in Antwerp...and was very interesting afternoon!!! A lot of stuff I found there....and I finally managed to listen to the M6i which I found a great amp. At that price level is really hard to beat...we tried also stuff at twice its price but still the M6i was a winner. Source was the M6CD player and speakers some amazing Audio Phisycs Avanti

We had opportunity to try an Accuphase at twice the price (4.8K), the Primare I32 (which despite being a class D amp was a fine and musical amp)...in only one song I preferred it to the M6i. Very detailed...very airy...not as full bodied and with character as the M6i sometimes.

M6i is really a stunning amp at that price range. What really blowed my mind were those Audio Phisycs speakers...an unbelievable presentation. Sounded wasn't aggressive at all and music was everywhere. Very detailed, fast and dynamic. A serios challenger...pity for the price which is over 10k eur. I am very interested in tryng those on the AMS35i

Still going through a serious thinking process. Most of the dealers seem to point me towards solid state instead of tube...they say sound quality of tube amps will decrease with time...is that true? The shop also had some Audio Note stuff...maybe net time :cheers:

Did you find a big difference between M6i and 35i?

Audio Physic make musical speakers.....I heard some AP Sitaras on the end of Bel Canto CDP + Belles amp, and they sounded well.

I suspect the sound deteriorates on a tube amp, but I can't say for sure. I still have reservations about the Jadis D59 driving the SFs properly, so it's vital that you listen very carefully to the difference that the 35i makes.

McIntosh + SF is also a match made in heaven >) ......your journey is far from over.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Did you find a big difference between M6i and 35i? Audio Physic make musical speakers.....I heard some AP Sitaras on the end of Bel Canto CDP + Belles amp, and they sounded well. I suspect the sound deteriorates on a tube amp, but I can't say for sure. I still have reservations about the Jadis D59 driving the SFs properly, so it's vital that you listen very carefully to the difference that the 35i makes. McIntosh + SF is also a match made in heaven >) ......your journey is far from over.

I found a very similar sound in terms of presentation. Full body, very airy...a lot of character and dynamics. The M6i is a stunning amp for the money...of course the AMS35i is better in every aspect, with a more musical sound, deeper and huge dynamics. It is an obvous step up from the M6i...but they do not compete in the same league of course. Is the price gap between the two justified?!? That's an hard question to answer...for me yes...but again the M6i is probably the best amp I have heard so far after the AMS35i (talking about solid state here).

These Audio Phisycs speakers really made me think. Fortunately my favourite shop has all the collection of AP as well...want to try those with the AMS35 also. Yes, I need to try the AMS with the SFG. I had impression the Jadis was coping VERY well with those but that will be definitely confirmed by connecting the AMS.

Yes...journey is far from over...and I am glad I found a person here who shares my passion and he's willing to come with me. It is extremely important to have a second opinion with this kind of money in play.

Mcintosh?Mmm....let me think about that!!! :read: Don't like too much the design...

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Helmut80 said:
No love for the Accuphase? Interesting.

Didn't like the design to start...so I must say had some prejudice. But the 3 of us there confirmed that the M6i sounded better than the Accuphase we tried (at twice the price). This little monster is really hard to beat at its price range...

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
I already made thet statement 2 weeks ago so for me it was not really a surprise.

what really did surprise me is the Audioacoustics advanti

Might just had break me true my BW adiction....

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Roby said:
I already made thet statement 2 weeks ago so for me it was not really a surprise.

what really did surprise me is the Audioacoustics advanti

Might just had break me true my BW adiction....

Now I understand what you are talking about! :)

Good news on the amp side, got a deal with my shop...I will pay the Jadis now and when he will get the AMS I can have it as demo for a while at home and decide to change if I like more the MF. In the meantime I will listen to a few others (Pathos, Mcintosh, Lavardin) just to confuse myself a bit more! :)

Roby, meeting on Saturday morning is on...we will listen to some turntables and DAC and hopefully understand the difference between a 500, 1k and 5k DAC (Rega, M2Tech Young and Audio Research). ;)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
I found a very similar sound in terms of presentation. Full body, very airy...a lot of character and dynamics. The M6i is a stunning amp for the money...of course the AMS35i is better in every aspect, with a more musical sound, deeper and huge dynamics. It is an obvous step up from the M6i...but they do not compete in the same league of course. Is the price gap between the two justified?!? That's an hard question to answer...for me yes...but again the M6i is probably the best amp I have heard so far after the AMS35i (talking about solid state here).

These Audio Phisycs speakers really made me think. Fortunately my favourite shop has all the collection of AP as well...want to try those with the AMS35 also. Yes, I need to try the AMS with the SFG. I had impression the Jadis was coping VERY well with those but that will be definitely confirmed by connecting the AMS.

Yes...journey is far from over...and I am glad I found a person here who shares my passion and he's willing to come with me. It is extremely important to have a second opinion with this kind of money in play.

Mcintosh?Mmm....let me think about that!!! :read: Don't like too much the design...

You have pretty much described the difference that I heard between the M6i and the 35i......Given how good my AVR600 is for 2 channel, I didn't think the M6i was a sensible purchase.

The fact you liked the Primare's neat and detailed sound, tells me there is a side of your taste that likes an accurate presentation as well as an etherial one....it is, as you've discovered, music genre dependent, and worth bearing in mind.

The Amp/Speaker combo may well come down to a synergy thing...ie. Where the sum of the whole, is greater than the individual parts. For example

Lavardin + Living Voice; McIntosh + SF; Jadis + AN (AN-J); AMS35i + Audio Physic; Pathos + Kef Ref

This is just my speculation from components that should compliment each other.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:

You have pretty much described the difference that I heard between the M6i and the 35i......Given how good my AVR600 is for 2 channel, I didn't think the M6i was a sensible purchase.

The fact you liked the Primare's neat and detailed sound, tells me there is a side of your taste that likes an accurate presentation as well as an etherial one....it is, as you've discovered, music genre dependent, and worth bearing in mind.

The Amp/Speaker combo may well come down to a synergy thing...ie. Where the sum of the whole, is greater than the individual parts. For example

Lavardin + Living Voice; McIntosh + SF; Jadis + AN (AN-J); AMS35i + Audio Physic; Pathos + Kef Ref

I must agree with you...what I heard with the M6i and those Audio Physics was sublime. Can't imagine what would have happened connecting the AMS35 to the APs!

True, I liked the presentation of the Primare...it is very detailed indeed and accurate. On one specific songs I preferred its presentation to the M6i one

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
acalex said:
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:

I must agree with you...what I heard with the M6i and those Audio Physics was sublime. Can't imagine what would have happened connecting the AMS35 to the APs!

True, I liked the presentation of the Primare...it is very detailed indeed and accurate. On one specific songs I preferred its presentation to the M6i one

Wich song was that?

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Helmut80 said:
which Audio Physic did you audition alcalex?

Audio Phisycs Avanti - Reference Line

avanti_cherry_right2.jpg

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
Cno, I was wondering, you said the AMS35i which I saw sold as a second hand in UK was one of your dealers, right?

Sorry missed this.

This used amp is being sold at one of my local dealers: http://www.kronosav.com/products#ecwid:mode=product&product=7409718

The owner is David and his son is Gary.....Both of them are knowledgeable and helpful.

If there's anything I can help with, just shout.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:
Cno, I was wondering, you said the AMS35i which I saw sold as a second hand in UK was one of your dealers, right?

Sorry missed this. This used amp is being sold at one of my local dealers: http://www.kronosav.com/products#ecwid:mode=product&product=7409718 The owner is David and his son is Gary.....Both of them are knowledgeable and helpful. If there's anything I can help with, just shout.

Yes, that one! Already had the pleasure to exchange a couple of emails with Gary and they are willing to ship it VAT excluded which is perfect for me. Juts wondering if it's in mint condition or not as it's difficult to judge from photo. I will probbaly give them a call this week to see what's best deal they can offer me. As for now the offer I have now for an ex demo is not that far from the price they are selling it...

How long is the warranty on the AMS?

Thanks a lot Cno I really aprreciate!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts