New amplifier: my long journey...

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
bigboss said:
An absolutely fascinating thread to read! I've no interest in Hi-Fi, at least not so much as to splurge a fortune on it........but this thread is definitely encouraging me to demo some high end equipment! But I won't.....don't want to spoil myself :shame:

Exactly, if you don't want to spend a fortune on it DON'T start doing this. It is impossible to resist when you listen to such a musical and emotional sound...had no idea how a good source could influence the sound and my friend, it does...a lot!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
There is some worthwhile reading, if you do a search for "advice on valve amps"....search for a forum where fish, if they were pink, might have access to media.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
Lot of nice stuff, Lavardin, Krell, Audio Physics, SF, LV speakers and a huge collection of cds and vinyls (he also sells them).

Lavardin (C62/AP150) + LV OBX/IBX is a combination that is also well worth hearing when in that dealer. You might as well hear one of the most musical SS amps that isn't Class A.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:
Lot of nice stuff, Lavardin, Krell, Audio Physics, SF, LV speakers and a huge collection of cds and vinyls (he also sells them).

Lavardin (C62/AP150) + LV OBX/IBX is a combination that is also well worth hearing when in that dealer. You might as well hear one of the most musical SS amps that isn't Class A.

I think I will start taking home some amplifiers and stick with the one I like the most. For now what I heard Saturday was sublime. Going today to hear the AMS35i (finally) and tomorrow to try the Jadis with LA and maybe the Lavardin.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Well well, very interesting music days!!! Yesterday I went with my gf to Carmina Burana concert...absolutely beautiful and spectacular. Was sitting in 3rd row in the middle, it was an amazing emotion!

Today another type of emotion as I tried finally the AMS35i and...wow...further head scratching ;) I also met Roby who came to see me during the demo and we listened together to some stuff.

We started with AMS35i + SF Cremona M...first of all the ampli is beautiful, it was black and has an amazing design with this huge volume knob in the middle. CD player was a Naim.

We went through the usual stuff, vocal jazz, blues, acoustic, some classical and the sound was nice, very clean, the ampli is always in control...an amazing bass. This truly impressed me...this monster has the absolute control. Wasn't very convinced by the match AMS + SF Cremona. Then I asked the dealer to point me into the right direction...and he plugged a pair of Avalon Idea, same price range of the Cremona M...what a change!

These speakers are for sure on the brighter side, very detailed but very dynamic also. When I listened to the Avalon and then we replugged the SF, had the impression that they put a cover on the instruments. The sound was also more flat...you could not get all the different variations in sound we could get with the Avalon.

Piano tracks were superb, I had a "live" impression, I could perceive every change in tone, it was like the piano was playing so much closer to us. Of course they might be a bit tiring after a while, but overall I really enjoyed how these small speakers performed with the AMS35i. Was a sure win against the SF cremona. Roby who was with me also shared same impressions...these "little" speakers are very fast and dynamic...bass was even more precise and strong...but again the amp never lost control.

We then went to another room and the guy proposed another system. A Pass amplifier (at around 10k eur) with B&W 803 (huge speakers but very nice). This time the source was very different as there was a Meridian Soolos going through the Audio Research DAC (at almost 5k eur). Room was much better in terms of acoustic and cables more expensive. BUT even considering this big gap I (and Roby agreed) still preferred the sound of AMS35 + Avalon Idea.

I am booked now for an head to head comparison of AMS35i vs Jadis D50S...will be using a vynil as a source next time. This might be tomorrow (if I come back in time) or next week. Anyway tomorrow I am going to listen to the Jadis with Living Audio...with my gf also. Will report back mine and hers impression! :)

Helmut80

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
thank you for the latest update! I have only recently come across your threads and must say they make for a very enjoybale read!

Have you also listened to the MF M6i500, or was that not on your list?

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Helmut80 said:
thank you for the latest update! I have only recently come across your threads and must say they make for a very enjoybale read!

Have you also listened to the MF M6i500, or was that not on your list?

Glad you like them! For me it's a complete new experience and I am having a lot of fun!
No, I was only considering pure class A amps or tubes as an alternative...and yesterday I tried probably the best integrated class A under 10k eur...thanks to Cno who suggested me!

Roby, another belgian guy, tried the M6i and wrote a nice review not long ago...

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Once again, it's good to hear how you got on.

As usual, I've a few thoughts about demoing the AMS35i :

- The Naim CD would not be my choice, for what you are after....maybe something from Acoustic Research .
- If possible try the Ref 205/2s (Cardas Golden Cross cables + Golden Ref power cable - just to see).....if you get the right combination of speakers and cables, it makes all the difference.
- Maybe the LV would be worth trying as well.

Looking forward to the next instalment

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Ok...back from heaven of music! :)

My gf just loved the combination Jadis + SF Guarneri...so in the end we got home a Jadis D50S for a month! The dealer just replaced the standard KT88 fwith 4 Jadis KT90. He said they are more powerful...once I listened to it again I was really "kidnapped" by the sound...it seems everything so magic...

We also plugged the Living Audio speakers floorstanders...great sound, brighter, very detailed, very fast speaker. BUT imaging was smaller than SF, compared to the Guarner it sounded more boxy. With Guarneri music was all around us...same impression my gf shared. Wasn't better in terms of basses...something that really surprised me considering the difference in size, but the delaer said the Guarneri have probably one of the best drivers in the world. I tend to agree...after trying the SF Cremona M yesterday night, the Guarneri seems to me way ahead in terms of sonic performances...

Next time I will be trying the Lavardin with the Living Audio, the dealer itself said that's an amazing and perfect combination.

I am so excited...can't wait to plug my speakers and let some music flow through the air....

IMG_6174.JPG

IMG_6175.JPG

IMG_6170.JPG

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Macspur said:
Hi Acalex, Does this mean you've discounted the MF AMS35? or will you be home demoeing that too? Enjoying the thread, cheers

Not at all. I just had the opportunity to try this beautiful amp at home for a month. I am going to do a direct comparison between Jadis and AMS this coming week or in 2 weeks time.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
Macspur said:
Hi Acalex, Does this mean you've discounted the MF AMS35? or will you be home demoeing that too? Enjoying the thread, cheers

Not at all. I just had the opportunity to try this beautiful amp at home for a month. I am going to do a direct comparison between Jadis and AMS this coming week or in 2 weeks time.

I think there is a pattern emerging, but you are rightly seeing it through to the end.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:
Macspur said:

I think there is a pattern emerging, but you are rightly seeing it through to the end.

Hi,
Must admit, can't wait for "and the winner is!"
Sounds like Acalex has found a really good dealer there, to be able to home demo gear for a month is pretty impressive.
Don't know the Jadis at all and haven't managed to get to hear the AMS, but from your description Cno, it's certainly one I must, some time soon.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:
Macspur said:

What's the pattern emerging? :D

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Macspur said:
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:
Macspur said:

Hi, Must admit, can't wait for "and the winner is!" Sounds like Acalex has found a really good dealer there, to be able to home demo gear for a month is pretty impressive. Don't know the Jadis at all and haven't managed to get to hear the AMS, but from your description Cno, it's certainly one I must, some time soon.

Yes indeed.

I hope the Acalex gets to try the 35i with the Ref 205/2s, as well as Lavardin + LV....with a musical source. As you know, the Naim, good as it is, wouldn't meet the OP's criteria. The MF is VERY revealing of source and cables, and responds well to a good mains lead; the Lavardin sounds best with it's own (very expensive) cabling.

With these amps, there isn't bad......just different. I suspect Jardis + SF gives such a rich, romantic and addictive presentation, that it'll be hard to overlook. It will just make everything sound enjoyable. My only (slight) reservation, is the extra cost and faff, that comes with the ownership of valves.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Macspur said:
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:
Macspur said:

Hi, Must admit, can't wait for "and the winner is!" Sounds like Acalex has found a really good dealer there, to be able to home demo gear for a month is pretty impressive. Don't know the Jadis at all and haven't managed to get to hear the AMS, but from your description Cno, it's certainly one I must, some time soon.

Ehehe, me too. That would be quite soon I guess :)

Well, both are stunning amps, aesthetically also (which is also important).

The AMS35i is a massive pure class A amp. Beautifully built, and it sounds superb. Amazing bass, great control, accurate and fast, even if you listen at low volume it has the grip and you enjoy the music. Even if SS, it is indeed a very musical amp. Also had oppourtunity to listen to a Pass ampli with better source, better cables and a better acoustic (also higher price, +3k on the AMS) and it didn't come close. I tend to agree with Cno, it is the best integrated under 10k. It is not cheap, at 7/8k eur it needs a carefull assessment.

Then there is the Jadis, a bit "cheaper" (the Jadis I took home is the RC with remote control which costs 6k) is a valve hamp handcrafted in France. 4 big tubes (KT90 bought from Jadis. The politics of Jadis is to buy a stock of tubes from Russia, double check them carefully in their factory and only keep the best 25%. The rest is shipped back, so you can be sure about quality of components). Also a stunning amp in terms of aesthetics, 3 big transformers on top, a golden plate in front...

The sound of the Jadis is somehow special. As Cno said, it is not neutral, it is very coloured...but magical. So musical, so emotional, so relaxing. Can't stop listening to it. Also has very nice bass I wasn't expecting.

The main difference is that when you listen to the AMS you want to hear every small detail, you are taken by the level of accuracy this amp can reproduce. The great control, the natural sound, the punchy and tight bass...when you listen to the Jadis you forget about everything. It is all about emotions, music "wrapping" you...you are just taken away. When matched with the SF Guarneri there is a magic going on.

Speakers I have decided...I want SF Guarneri, my gf also approved as the best looking speakers we saw there...already said to the dealer that when he will be selling them as an ex demo I will take them for sure.

Yes the treatment I had with this dealer was amazing. After a month I can have another amp at home...and also he could lend me the SF to try them at home before buying them. He can order for me the AMS but not for listening as he needs to buy it himself. So I decided I am comparing the AMS with the Jadis at another shop but I would buy from the first shop for sure!

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Macspur said:
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:
Macspur said:

Yes indeed. I hope the Acalex gets to try the 35i with the Ref 205/2s, as well as Lavardin + LV....with a musical source. As you know, the Naim, good as it is, wouldn't meet the OP's criteria. The MF is VERY revealing of source and cables, and responds well to a good mains lead; the Lavardin sounds best with it's own (very expensive) cabling. With these amps, there isn't bad......just different. I suspect Jardis + SF gives such a rich, romantic and addictive presentation, that it'll be hard to overlook. It will just make everything sound enjoyable. My only (slight) reservation, is the extra cost and faff, that comes with the ownership of valves.

Asked plenty of questions about this. Replacing valves will cost me around 400 eur (100 eur each) for the big ones (KT90) which will last for 5/6000hs. The smaller ones (5 at 20 eur each) will last for 10k hours. Meaning I am expecting to replace the big ones somewhere between 4 and 5 years.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
paradiziac said:
CnoEvil said:
My only (slight) reservation, is the extra cost and faff, that comes with the ownership of valves.

Hi Acalex,

For a faff-free option, what about Devialet? http://www.devialet.com/

Class A/D hybrid one box solution. Looks awesome.

I saw it...it is indeed beautiful but it costs 12k eur :D

And to be honest with you, I am not looking for one box solution as I like to have a lot of stuff around ;). For now my gf is excited as much as I am...she even said that the Turntable Ovation is nicer than the performance so we should get that one (yeah...twice the price :D)

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
paradiziac said:
And I forgot to add, you'll save yourself the cost of some very expensive cabling.. :)

Cabling, as suggested by the dealer, will be my last upgrade. After I have built the system I can start swapping and trying cables. He suggested to start from power cables as they make an huge difference but can also make the sound worse so I need to try a lot of them before picking the right one. So for now I am not worried about expensive cables. The cables I have heard the Jadis with were normal very thick copper cables (I think around 250 eur for a pair of 2 mt)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Acalex my friend, I posted my reply before reading your last entry.

I think your assessment of the 2 amps is spot on. As I have mentioned previously, the 35i works really well with Cardas (including mains cable), which just adds to it's musical presentation. I'm not advocating buying this cabling now, I'm just wanting you to hear how much better it can be made sound in the future....in case that could effect your buying decision.

Will you be trying the MF with the Guareni? Also remember, that.all the detail it diggs up, bodes well for vinyl and why I keep banging on about the need for a good source.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Acalex my friend, I posted my reply before reading your last entry. I think you assessment of the 2 amps is spot on. As I have mentioned previously, the 35i works really well with Cardas (including mains cable), which just adds to it's musical presentation. I'm not advocating buying this cabling now, I'm just wanting you to hear how much better it can be made sound in the future....in case that could effect your buying decision. Will you be trying the MF with the Guareni? Also remember, that.all the detail it diggs up, bodes well for vinyl and why I keep banging on about the need for a good source.

I imagine how far it can go. That's why I agree with the dealer when saying you need to like it with normal cable and then upgrade to really get the best out of it. I am trying to "decode" the soul of the 2 amplifiers and understand which one fits better my cause. Regarding the source, I aksed the dealer to compare the AMS and the Jadis with a turntable as I had impression the Naim CDP wasn't that impressive...

In terms of matching speakers that's more difficult, they might have the Kef reference, I will call them on Tuesday to check if they can prepare for me the SF (they have the Amati Futura and the Cremona M, not sure about the Guarneri) and the Kef also. This shop with the AMS35 was so excited about those Avalon Idea...I think they are maybe too bright for my taste and might be tiring aftar a while. But hey, the AMS with Avalon is a great combo...for a musician! For example a pianist might appreciate a lot these speakers as they reproduce the piano sound perfectly, no distorsions...

Lavardin with LV is a sure demo, maybe next Saturday as I am going there to start looking at second hand vinyls also ;)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts