New album releases

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
insider9 said:
Will check it out. Thanks Sabbath!
guns & roses are releasing a remastered deluxe version of there first album with loads of extra unreleased stuff on it which should be a great buy if you like there stuff but the album will cost about £30 but there’s a lot there for the money .

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
BigH said:
Glen Hansard - Between Two Shores.

That’s not bad.

Tonight I’ve quite enjoyed Welcome Strangers by Modern Studies, which all music describe as indie folk.

Jon Hopkins new one Singularity is pretty good too, I’ve had to listen on headphones though, my daughter is in bed and it’s the sort of thing that sounds best quite loud.

insider9

Thanks Mac. I've been listening to far too much Prog Rock recently so quiet three quarters of an hour with something straight forward will be a nice change of pace. I had a taste when driving today, she's got a beautiful voice.

One of the albums I've listened to is Animals as Leaders Live 2017, it was released in May. They can really play, but I admit it may not be to everyone's taste.

Muddywaterstones

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
https://www.allmusic.com/album/your-queen-is-a-reptile-mw0003139532

Think I've mentioned one of their albums here somewhere before. THis is out a couple of weeks.

Saw them live last month. What an experience! Even had my two kids along. Had to buy my son a drum kit as a result!

Muddywaterstones

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
Muddywaterstones said:

Think I've mentioned one of their albums here somewhere before. THis is out a couple of weeks.

Saw them live last month. What an experience! Even had my two kids along. Had to buy my son a drum kit as a result!

meant to say, not convinced by some of the "poetry" but live this was left out.

insider9

Muddywaterstones said:
Muddywaterstones said:

meant to say, not convinced by some of the "poetry" but live this was left out.

Looks interesting, thanks!

insider9

An interesting year for fans of Alter Bridge. Earlier on this year Myles Kennedy released his excellent solo debut. Three months have passed and we get to enjoy a new album by Tremonti, that's Mark Tremonti's (Creed, Alter Bridge) solo project. "A Dying Machine" is just over an hour long and an absolute pleasure. It's typical Tremonti where melodies are pouring in from absolutely everywhere. It's not particularly heavy and if I'm being honest I much prefer it to last release by Alter Bridge.

eJT8DDv.png

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
insider9 said:
An interesting year for fans of Alter Bridge. Earlier on this year Myles Kennedy released his excellent solo debut. Three months have passed and we get to enjoy a new album by Tremonti, that's Mark Tremonti's (Creed, Alter Bridge) solo project. "A Dying Machine" is just over an hour long and an absolute pleasure. It's typical Tremonti where melodies are pouring in from absolutely everywhere. It's not particularly heavy and if I'm being honest I much prefer it to last release by Alter Bridge.

Quite liked the Myles Kennedy, but afraid Tremonti's a bit too heavy for me, did sound cracking on my system though.

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

insider9

Ornette Coleman "The Atlantic Years (Remastered)" is a compliation album consisting of 10 albums. Starting with The Shape of Jazz to Come." Remastered from digital source :( as the analogue tapes were in no condition to be used. There's a lot to like about this release. I've only listened to first two albums and you can tell there is a significant differenec to anyting out there. However I'm not convinced if I prefer this new remaster. It sounds cleaner and a tad brighter, more hifi if you like. Bass is more pronounced and precise, noise floor is lower but somehow horns sound a little cleaner and thiner too and perhaps not as sharp (with less timbre). Saying they sound polite probably would be taking it too far though. If you like Ornetter Coleman and always wanted these recordings to sound cleaner this is a no brainer, but do try before you buy as you may find it lacking that little bit of soul. I reserve judgement until I listen to the lot.

EDIT: Oh and I don't know how that's possible, but "Change of the Century" feels slower than the version I'm used to. Only just but slower.

qty0FPV.png

insider9

A new LP from Nine Inch Nails called "Bad Witch." Released last Friday 22nd June. I admit I was never a massive fan. The album is said to be part three of a trilogy started back in 2016. At only 30 minutes long it's more of a long EP than an LP. I'll be honest I was rather pleased with the length. I applaud creativity and originality but still not my cup of tea.

70547f9e7239b7fa1e7a8d0f33b7bba8_large.jpg

insider9

Also released last Friday, new double album by Kamasi Wasington. It's his second release and at 2 h 25 mins running time it's not the shortest, but after near 3 hour debut it definitely isn't long :) As to actual music it mixes Cool Jazz - like motifs with funky beats, big arrangements with lots happening. Sound quality is very good. It feels slightly overindulgent for a critical listening session, but in current weather to have it playing in the background it's just great. The standout tracks are the ones that mix latin like vibe with a bit more challangeing timings with some lovely poly rhythms. It's technically a contemporary Jazz album, but it feels quite old and particularly on second listen you feel like you know more than you actually do.

A good release which should be accessible to people who normally scoff at Jazz but there's plenty of interesting material there for Jazz fans. Best part it grows on you with repeat listening there's lots to find.

dEOsOe2.png

jjbomber

Blacksabbath25 said:
guns & roses are releasing a remastered deluxe version of there first album with loads of extra unreleased stuff on it which should be a great buy if you like there stuff but the album will cost about £30 but there’s a lot there for the money .

Or possibly £169.99 for the box set.

This 'Super Deluxe' edition includes a 96-page hardcover book containing previously unreleased photos from Axl Rose's personal archive, along with various pieces of memorabilia; a simulated-leather wrapped slipcase and book cover with embossed GN'R logos; 4 CDs featuring 73 tracks in total, 49 of them previously unreleased; 12 tracks from 'B-sides N' EPs', remastered from the original analog tapes; 25 recordings from the '1986 Sound City Session'; 2 recordings from the 'Mike Clink Sessions' ('Shadow of Your Love', from December 1986 Mike Clink tryout session and 'Move to the City (1988 Acoustic Version)', from 'GN'R LIES' sessions); a Blu-ray audio disc containing 96kHz, 24-bit, 5.1 surround sound mixes from original analog multi-tracks, the original album mixed by Elliot Scheiner, 5 bonus tracks mixed by Elliot Scheiner & Frank Filipetti, 4 original music videos in 5.1, the music video for 'It's So Easy' (1989) in 5.1. All songs on the Blu-ray feature brand new animations. Memorabilia includes 5 previously unseen band member lithos, a 'Welcome to the Jungle' video invite flyer - originally drawn by Slash, a Robert Williams Painting Litho 12' x 24', and temporary band member tattoos.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
jjbomber said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

Or possibly £169.99 for the box set.

This 'Super Deluxe' edition includes a 96-page hardcover book containing previously unreleased photos from Axl Rose's personal archive, along with various pieces of memorabilia; a simulated-leather wrapped slipcase and book cover with embossed GN'R logos; 4 CDs featuring 73 tracks in total, 49 of them previously unreleased; 12 tracks from 'B-sides N' EPs', remastered from the original analog tapes; 25 recordings from the '1986 Sound City Session'; 2 recordings from the 'Mike Clink Sessions' ('Shadow of Your Love', from December 1986 Mike Clink tryout session and 'Move to the City (1988 Acoustic Version)', from 'GN'R LIES' sessions); a Blu-ray audio disc containing 96kHz, 24-bit, 5.1 surround sound mixes from original analog multi-tracks, the original album mixed by Elliot Scheiner, 5 bonus tracks mixed by Elliot Scheiner & Frank Filipetti, 4 original music videos in 5.1, the music video for 'It's So Easy' (1989) in 5.1. All songs on the Blu-ray feature brand new animations. Memorabilia includes 5 previously unseen band member lithos, a 'Welcome to the Jungle' video invite flyer - originally drawn by Slash, a Robert Williams Painting Litho 12' x 24', and temporary band member tattoos.
I am tempted but itunes just has the songs of the super deluxe album for £29.99 and on Amazon the normal deluxe version with 2 cds £12.99 and then the £169.99 super deluxe .

Lord Fluken

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
insider9 said:
Also released last Friday, new double album by Kamasi Wasington. It's his second release and at 2 h 25 mins running time it's not the shortest, but after near 3 hour debut it definitely isn't long :)

I agree is a great album in this weather. As to length, do you have it physically or are you streaming? If you have physical, have you found the extra disc (2 if vinyl) which is another 38 mins raking it to 3 hours again? 3rd disc is called The Choice which is available separately streaming. If cd, it's sealed in the middle section, look at the top and you can see serrated edge to open, if vinyl it's the middle two section.

The lost John Coltrane album is very good indeed.

insider9

Lord Fluken said:
insider9 said:
Also released last Friday, new double album by Kamasi Wasington. It's his second release and at 2 h 25 mins running time it's not the shortest, but after near 3 hour debut it definitely isn't long :)

I agree is a great album in this weather. As to length, do you have it physically or are you streaming? If you have physical, have you found the extra disc (2 if vinyl) which is another 38 mins raking it to 3 hours again? 3rd disc is called The Choice which is available separately streaming. If cd, it's sealed in the middle section, look at the top and you can see serrated edge to open, if vinyl it's the middle two section.

The lost John Coltrane album is very good indeed.
I'm streaming. I might get "Both Directions at Once: The Lost Album" on CD as it's indeed very good. Even though I rarely buy CDs these days.

It's really been a good month for Jazz.

D

Deleted member 160668

Reggae time...

Alborosie meets The Wailers. Unbreakable.

Protoje. A matter of time.

*seen Protoje live. He was excellent live,

great live gig if you like reggae.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts