New album releases

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

insider9

Well-known member
Sep 20, 2016
1,182
633
12,070
Ty Seagal/White Fence "Joy." A second teaming of the garage rock dynamo and the bedroom psych weirdo yields results as oddly entrancing as their first effort.

The unbridled rock & roll force that is Ty Segall met up for the first time with the warbly psychedelic wanderings of White Fence for the first time on 2012's Hair, a fine distillation of the pair's strengths. Segall and White Fence's Tim Presley forged a sound that reined in Segall's sometimes excessive energy and gave life to White Fence's often precious music box renderings of '60s excess. Since they made that record, Segall has gone on to expand his sound into something almost arena friendly, while Presley has gotten weirder and more unpredictable with his solo work and other projects including Drinks with Cate le Bon. The duo's reteaming on 2018's Joy tilts the scale toward weirdness with many songs that are odd snippets of sound, lots of Presley's obtuse guitar lines and lyrics that sound like they were left out in the sun a little too long. For the most part, the record works like a charm, with the sometimes gleeful, sometime ominous White Fence psychedelic strangeness adding creepy tendrils that capture Segall's frenetic energy and drag the songs into unexpected places.



Kendl Winter "Stumbler's Business"

Since following up her critically lauded 2012 solo outing The Mechanics of Hovering Flight with the more band-assisted It Can Be Done! (2013), Pacific Northwesterner Kendl Winter has logged endless miles and released a daunting five albums as one-half of indie folk duo the Lowest Pair, with fellow banjoist/singer Palmer T. Lee. With four of those five albums arriving in 2015 and 2016 alone, it's a wonder she was able to write as winsome and thoughtful a collection as Stumbler's Business, her first solo release in five years. A measured mix of earthy warmth and spectral dream-folk, it's a departure from her more old-timey work with Lee, relying on big atmospheric reverbs and occasional accents of distorted guitar and organ to complement its more organic and acoustic elements. Written largely while on tour, the songs are fraught with the emotions and visions that extended travel can inspire, from untethered loneliness and love found to spirited snapshots of sights seen and connections made away from home.

 

Macspur

Well-known member
May 3, 2010
77
0
18,540
insider9 said:
Ty Seagal/White Fence "Joy." A second teaming of the garage rock dynamo and the bedroom psych weirdo yields results as oddly entrancing as their first effort.

The unbridled rock & roll force that is Ty Segall met up for the first time with the warbly psychedelic wanderings of White Fence for the first time on 2012's Hair, a fine distillation of the pair's strengths. Segall and White Fence's Tim Presley forged a sound that reined in Segall's sometimes excessive energy and gave life to White Fence's often precious music box renderings of '60s excess. Since they made that record, Segall has gone on to expand his sound into something almost arena friendly, while Presley has gotten weirder and more unpredictable with his solo work and other projects including Drinks with Cate le Bon. The duo's reteaming on 2018's Joy tilts the scale toward weirdness with many songs that are odd snippets of sound, lots of Presley's obtuse guitar lines and lyrics that sound like they were left out in the sun a little too long. For the most part, the record works like a charm, with the sometimes gleeful, sometime ominous White Fence psychedelic strangeness adding creepy tendrils that capture Segall's frenetic energy and drag the songs into unexpected places.

Kendl Winter "Stumbler's Business"

Since following up her critically lauded 2012 solo outing The Mechanics of Hovering Flight with the more band-assisted It Can Be Done! (2013), Pacific Northwesterner Kendl Winter has logged endless miles and released a daunting five albums as one-half of indie folk duo the Lowest Pair, with fellow banjoist/singer Palmer T. Lee. With four of those five albums arriving in 2015 and 2016 alone, it's a wonder she was able to write as winsome and thoughtful a collection as Stumbler's Business, her first solo release in five years. A measured mix of earthy warmth and spectral dream-folk, it's a departure from her more old-timey work with Lee, relying on big atmospheric reverbs and occasional accents of distorted guitar and organ to complement its more organic and acoustic elements. Written largely while on tour, the songs are fraught with the emotions and visions that extended travel can inspire, from untethered loneliness and love found to spirited snapshots of sights seen and connections made away from home.
Thanks for Kendl Winter Insider... couple of tracks in, so far so good!

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com
 

CnoEvil

New member
Aug 21, 2009
556
8
0
insider9 said:
"You Won't Even Know I'm Gone" has a good shout for song of the year! Just stunning. I usually play an album right through, but had to play it twice.
*good*
 

Macspur

Well-known member
May 3, 2010
77
0
18,540
insider9 said:
Macspur said:
Thanks for Kendl Winter Insider... couple of tracks in, so far so good!

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com
Glad you liked it Mac. I've enjoyed it too.
Ordered her album Mechanics of Hovering Flight for a good price from Amazon.

For those who like Lori Mckenna, try some Joan Shelley Over and Even is my favourite, or Courtney Marie Andrews album On My Page.

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com
 

insider9

Well-known member
Sep 20, 2016
1,182
633
12,070
Eddie Palmieri - Full Cirlce

Like pianist Thelonious Monk, his primary jazz influence, Eddie Palmieri has been playing jazz since the 1960s, and has revisited his favorite compositions numerous times. Age 81 in 2018, Palmieri delivers a companion to 2017's brilliant Sabiduría, a set that provided an evolutionary overview of some of his best Afro Caribbean jazz tunes. It was deservedly acclaimed as one of the finest records in his career. Full Circle offers eight of Palmieri's salsa compositions as the jump-off point of exploration. Cut in three days, Palmieri brought his all-star tentet (that includes bassist Luques Curtis, trombonist Conrad Herwig, and lead vocalist Hermán Olivera) to anchor all the cuts, and added an expanded cast on an extended big-band version of "Vamonos Pa’l Monte," whose two versions bookend the set.
 

BigH

New member
Dec 29, 2012
97
2
0
Just been playing Mary Chapin Carpenter's - Sometimes Just the Sky which was released this year, pleasant easy listening. Now playing Luluc an Australian folk duo, don't think I've heard them before, new album Scultor only released last week.
 

Macspur

Well-known member
May 3, 2010
77
0
18,540
BigH said:
Just been playing Mary Chapin Carpenter's - Sometimes Just the Sky which was released this year, pleasant easy listening. Now playing Luluc an Australian folk duo, don't think I've heard them before, new album Scultor only released last week.
New Lulic album quite nice, but prefer prev release Passer By

The new Eliza Gilkyson album Secularia is pretty good.

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com
 

CnoEvil

New member
Aug 21, 2009
556
8
0
I'm really liking this Album (Earthly Days), which won the Contemporary Roots Album of the year at the Juno Awards 2017...and especially his single "Breathless".

 

CnoEvil

New member
Aug 21, 2009
556
8
0
Complete contrast to my last post....and one to dip in and out of, to make sure your Woofers are still alive:

 

Hi-FiOutlaw

Well-known member
Apr 20, 2011
236
0
18,790
As some of you mention, there are not many modern bands that produce nice and consistent all around albums, that you can ear start to finnish.

But still, there are some nice bands, or “Protects” as “they” call it today, I follow close the work of this little list, and always praying for a new album from this guys...

- Aidan Hawken

- Amos Lee

- Bad Suns

- Band Of Horses

- Bon Iver

- Elliott Smith

- Josh Ritter

- M83

- Miike Snow

- Natiruts (Brasilian Band)

- Of Monsters and Man

- The Temper Trap

- The War on Drugs

- Vancouver Sleep Clinic
 

stereoman

Well-known member
Mar 22, 2016
146
13
10,595
Music is a matter of taste. Here is my taste:

1. ROCK - PROPHETS OF RAGE "Self titled" / THE CULT "Hidden City" / MARK SANDMAN "Original music of Mark Sandman" / LARKING POE "Peach" / SUEDE "The blue hour" ( album coming up ) "Don't be afraid if nobody loves you ( promo single )

2. JAZZ - WALTER SMITH III "TWIO" / ART FARMER "Blue Lights" / SOMEWHERE OFF JAZZ STREET "Becoming Invisible" / CANNONBALL ADERLEY "Ballads" / JAZZPEARLS

"Clubdate"

3. ACOUSTIC - ALAN TAYLOR "Colour to the moon" / HABIB COITE and ERIC BIBB "Brothers in Bamako"

4. ELECTRONICA - TRICKY "Ununiform" / BOOKA SHADE "Cut the strings" / ELECTRIC UNIVERSE "Bansuri ( new single )" / Orbital "Monsters Exist" ( album coming up ) "Tiny foldable cities" ( promo single )

5. WORLD MUSIC - PRITPAL SINGH KHALSA "One prayer"

6. POP - CAMILA CABELLO "Camila"

7. CLASSICAL - MARK BLEEKE and NATHANIEL WATSON "Handel: Acis and Galatea"/ PELIN HALKACI ALKIN "Rimsky and Korsakov : Scheherezade Op. 35"

8. METAL - DOWN "Down IV - Part 2"

9. EASYLISTENING - SCALA and KOLACNY BROTHERS "Black Moon"

10. METAL PROGRESSIVE NEW AGE ROCK - STEVEN WILSON "To the bone" / DOWN "Down IV - Part 2" / TOOL ( album coming up ) / DEAD CAN DANCE ( album coming up )
 

insider9

Well-known member
Sep 20, 2016
1,182
633
12,070
stereoman said:
Music is a matter of taste. Here is my taste:

1. ROCK - PROPHETS OF RAGE "Self titled" / THE CULT "Hidden City" / MARK SANDMAN "Original music of Mark Sandman" / LARKING POE "Peach" / SUEDE "The blue hour" ( album coming up ) "Don't be afraid if nobody loves you ( promo single )

2. JAZZ - WALTER SMITH III "TWIO" / ART FARMER "Blue Lights" / SOMEWHERE OFF JAZZ STREET "Becoming Invisible" / CANNONBALL ADERLEY "Ballads" / JAZZPEARLS

"Clubdate"

3. ACOUSTIC - ALAN TAYLOR "Colour to the moon" / HABIB COITE and ERIC BIBB "Brothers in Bamako"

4. ELECTRONICA - TRICKY "Ununiform" / BOOKA SHADE "Cut the strings" / ELECTRIC UNIVERSE "Bansuri ( new single )" / Orbital "Monsters Exist" ( album coming up ) "Tiny foldable cities" ( promo single )

5. WORLD MUSIC - PRITPAL SINGH KHALSA "One prayer"

6. POP - CAMILA CABELLO "Camila"

7. CLASSICAL - MARK BLEEKE and NATHANIEL WATSON "Handel: Acis and Galatea"/ PELIN HALKACI ALKIN "Rimsky and Korsakov : Scheherezade Op. 35"

8. METAL - DOWN "Down IV - Part 2"

9. EASYLISTENING - SCALA and KOLACNY BROTHERS "Black Moon"

10. METAL PROGRESSIVE NEW AGE ROCK - STEVEN WILSON "To the bone" / DOWN "Down IV - Part 2" / TOOL ( album coming up ) / DEAD CAN DANCE ( album coming up )
Thanks Stereoman. Quite a few I've not heard on there, so will take a good while to go through.

My list was made out of this years releases only :) From the above is there anything that betters Steven Wilson "To The Bone"? That was my favourite album of 2017.
 

insider9

Well-known member
Sep 20, 2016
1,182
633
12,070
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
As some of you mention, there are not many modern bands that produce nice and consistent all around albums, that you can ear start to finnish.

But still, there are some nice bands, or “Protects” as “they” call it today, I follow close the work of this little list, and always praying for a new album from this guys...

- Aidan Hawken

- Amos Lee

- Bad Suns

- Band Of Horses

- Bon Iver

- Elliott Smith

- Josh Ritter

- M83

- Miike Snow

- Natiruts (Brasilian Band)

- Of Monsters and Man

- The Temper Trap

- The War on Drugs

- Vancouver Sleep Clinic
That's a nice long list. I only know The War on Drugs so lots of music to listen to. Thanks!
 

Hi-FiOutlaw

Well-known member
Apr 20, 2011
236
0
18,790
stereoman said:
Music is a matter of taste. Here is my taste:

3. ACOUSTIC - ALAN TAYLOR "Colour to the moon" / HABIB COITE and ERIC BIBB "Brothers in Bamako"
I absolutely love Alan Taylor, and Chris Jones, both have recorded with Stockfish Records that are one of the finest European Record labels.

Eric Bibb is one of the best Blues player, right up there with Mighty Sam McLane, Muddy Waters, Snow White and The White Flames, Steve Ray Vaughan, Lyle Lovett and Hans Theessink.

One thing they have in common is well recorded albums and nice music, some are Audiophile master pieces like “Couldn't Stand the Weather” SV Ray, Mighty Sam McLane with Give it up to Love and one of my best vinyl albums is from Muddy Waters - Folk Singer.
 

Hi-FiOutlaw

Well-known member
Apr 20, 2011
236
0
18,790
insider9 said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
As some of you mention, there are not many modern bands that produce nice and consistent all around albums, that you can ear start to finnish.

But still, there are some nice bands, or “Protects” as “they” call it today, I follow close the work of this little list, and always praying for a new album from this guys...

- Aidan Hawken

- Amos Lee

- Bad Suns

- Band Of Horses

- Bon Iver

- Elliott Smith

- Josh Ritter

- M83

- Miike Snow

- Natiruts (Brasilian Band)

- Of Monsters and Man

- The Temper Trap

- The War on Drugs

- Vancouver Sleep Clinic
That's a nice long list. I only know The War on Drugs so lots of music to listen to. Thanks!
Very nice music and WELL recorded as well. Lost of fun in this list! And feedback as well....*blush* *blush* *smile*
 

stereoman

Well-known member
Mar 22, 2016
146
13
10,595
insider9 said:
Thanks Stereoman. Quite a few I've not heard on there, so will take a good while to go through.

My list was made out of this years releases only :) From the above is there anything that betters Steven Wilson "To The Bone"? That was my favourite album of 2017.
I think "Prophets of Rage" is a very good and strong album. I'm really looking forward to new Suede, Tool, Orbital and Dead Can Dance.
 

stereoman

Well-known member
Mar 22, 2016
146
13
10,595
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
stereoman said:
Music is a matter of taste. Here is my taste:

3. ACOUSTIC - ALAN TAYLOR "Colour to the moon" / HABIB COITE and ERIC BIBB "Brothers in Bamako"
I absolutely love Alan Taylor, and Chris Jones, both have recorded with Stockfish Records that are one of the finest European Record labels.

Eric Bibb is one of the best Blues player, right up there with Mighty Sam McLane, Muddy Waters, Snow White and The White Flames, Steve Ray Vaughan, Lyle Lovett and Hans Theessink.

One thing they have in common is well recorded albums and nice music, some are Audiophile master pieces like “Couldn't Stand the Weather” SV Ray, Mighty Sam McLane with Give it up to Love and one of my best vinyl albums is from Muddy Waters - Folk Singer.
Ali farka Toure is also good
"Couldn't stand the weather" by SRV is great !
 

insider9

Well-known member
Sep 20, 2016
1,182
633
12,070
stereoman said:
insider9 said:
Thanks Stereoman. Quite a few I've not heard on there, so will take a good while to go through.

My list was made out of this years releases only :) From the above is there anything that betters Steven Wilson "To The Bone"? That was my favourite album of 2017.
I think "Prophets of Rage" is a very good and strong album. I'm really looking forward to new Suede, Tool, Orbital and Dead Can Dance.
"Prophets of Rage" is an interesting album. Enjoyable if you didn't expect it to be RATM. I kind a miss the rage of RATM. Some great riffs mixed with some decent but often average rapping (parts are great). It is a lot of fun though.

I'm really looking forward to the new Tool album, just hope it's much better than A Perfect Circle. I liked it at first, but I'm ultimately disappointed with it.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts