New album releases

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Macspur said:
Ray Lamontagne has a new one out called Part of the Light... haven't heard it yet, not a massive fan myself, but I do own and love When the Sun Turns Black

Agree with you re Loreena McKennitt Insider.

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

I really like his first 2 albums, Gossip in the Grain was quite good but after that he seems to have lost his way, his voice has been toned down and it all seems over produced to me.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
BigH said:
Macspur said:
Ray Lamontagne has a new one out called Part of the Light... haven't heard it yet, not a massive fan myself, but I do own and love When the Sun Turns Black

Agree with you re Loreena McKennitt Insider.

Mac

I really like his first 2 albums, Gossip in the Grain was quite good but after that he seems to have lost his way, his voice has been toned down and it all seems over produced to me.

I agree, shame because he has undoubted talent.

Mac

insider9

Hahaha, if you think word quirky is overused please have a listen to the new album by Stephen Malkmus & the Jicks called "Sparkle Hard". It is difficult to say what it is that gets you to listen to it again and again, and again. Perhaps you won't, I really don't know. I will say this. Don't get discouraged. It's interesting, bizarre, wonderful, non-audiophile material; vocals can sound erratic, instruments sound weird, hell, there are tracks where they're not even in tune. Arrangements vary from strange to prosaic however, if you get in to it you'll sit there with a grin on your face. If not you've wasted 43 minutes.

zRf04GE.png

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I have pre - ordered ' Laurel's' new album called 'DogViolet' from the Bandcamp site, it will be released August 24th but I will get it a little earlier . *smile*

There is something about the way her voice 'cracks' that does things to me. *wink*

Here are couple of pre - release tasters for you all.

https://open.spotify.com/track/1oaXXLCrcm5JUQD0XgVcle?si=5e3wc1_qTWKOZFfW4awucg

https://open.spotify.com/track/5x7MQEdGpSXU1ORb5JRSu2?si=pWwMq6PTRa-1ofSOOIaTFA

And on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9vZ-eMGwdg

insider9

QuestForThe13thNote said:
Loma, loma is a nice album , came out this year. Would suit tastes of those into Julie Byrnes fantastic folk album last year, Agnes Obel etc.
Finally giving this a go. I think it's closer to Agnes Obel than Julie Byrne.

It makes me focus on production and not music, which is something I dislike. Quite a bit of a struggle already and I'm only half way through.

Shame as had high hopes and it was generally well received.

Edit
Having finished the whole album it's ok. Unfortunately nothing more than that for me.

insider9

James Bay - Electric Light

Electric_LightBayjpg.jpeg

Attracting mixed reviews and having listened to it today I can tell you why. Following his excellent debut this release was always going to be judged with higher expectations. In isolation the album is ok if you like Pop. But compared to his first it pales in comparison.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
insider9 said:
James Bay - Electric Light

Attracting mixed reviews and having listened to it today I can tell you why. Following his excellent debut this release was always going to be judged with higher expectations. In isolation the album is ok if you like Pop. But compared to his first it pales in comparison.

Agreed, very disappointing.

I'm currently listening to Mishaped Pearls, Shivelight, released today and it's beautiful

Mac

insider9

Will put this on after school run. I've had a listen to Black Labirynth by Korn frontman Jonathan Davis. It's another heavy release this year that's disappointing.

Interesting box set released today Jethro Tull "50 for 50" (includes no new material) and a complitation album by Agnes Obel "Late Night Tales" that includes 3 new original tracks.

insider9

Finally managed to listen to new release by Luke Winslow-King "Blue Mesa". Decent release worth a listen.

LzzJco3.png

Next up, a band called Low Cut Connie. Dirty Pictures (Part 2) is a follow up to the album with the same name released a year ago. Absolutey brilliant release and I'm following it up with Dirty Pictures (Part 1).

EfFVBDi.png

insider9

One I did not finish, I doesn't happen often. Most music I find bearable. But somehow not managed to sit through another Agnes Obel albums. I know she has many fans. But 11 minutes into last track (that's over 50 minutes long) and I gave up.

OtTPVmN.png

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
insider9 said:
One I did not finish, I doesn't happen often. Most music I find bearable. But somehow not managed to sit through another Agnes Obel albums. I know she has many fans. But 11 minutes into last track (that's over 50 minutes long) and I gave up.

I like Agnes Obel usually but I find her new album quite poor.

She has been lazy.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
insider9 said:
Electro said:
I like Agnes Obel usually but I find her new album quite poor.

She has been lazy.

Interesting, I've had a few attempts with different material and so far not warmed to her. Where would you suggest I start?

I like her first two albums Aventine and Philharmonics, not so keen on Citizen of Glass and haven't heard the new one yet

Mac

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts