New album releases

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

insider9

Al ears said:
insider9 said:
New album by... Jimi Hendrix

"Both Sides of the Sky"

Only a few tracks in and loving it.

I am amazed he could produce a new album....   :)
So am I :)

It's a compilation from many studio recordings he did 1968-1970. Even some vocals by Stephen Stills. Some tracks with Jimi on bass and one apparently on Sitar. Waiting in anticipation as it's the last track.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
insider9 said:
Al ears said:
insider9 said:
New album by... Jimi Hendrix

"Both Sides of the Sky"

Only a few tracks in and loving it.

I am amazed he could produce a new album.... :)
So am I :)

It's a compilation from many studio recordings he did 1968-1970. Even some vocals by Stephen Stills. Some tracks with Jimi on bass and one apparently on Sitar. Waiting in anticipation as it's the last track.

I played this a few weeks ago, it's available on streaming services. A bit patchy but not bad.

insider9

A couple of mentions of tomorrow's releases

Manic Street Preachers are set to release their new album "Resistance is Futile". Early reviews are encouraging so worth a listen.

Also 30 Seconds to Mars are to release an album titled "America". Their fifth and no reviews I can see so a bit of an unknown. I guess you'll have to listen :)

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Macspur said:
BigH said:
Macspur said:
Been waiting a while for this one... Fenne Lily debut album On Hold released today

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

Just playing it now, not quite what I expected.

Not your cuppa?

I love that plaintive vocal sound, coupled with acoustics.

Mac

Only played the first 2 tracks, I was expecting acoustics but it's electronics, a bit like London Grammer. Not saying I don't like it, just was unexpected.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
BigH said:
Macspur said:
BigH said:
Macspur said:
Been waiting a while for this one... Fenne Lily debut album On Hold released today

Mac

Just playing it now, not quite what I expected.

Not your cuppa?

I love that plaintive vocal sound, coupled with acoustics.

Mac

Only played the first 2 tracks, I was expecting acoustics but it's electronics, a bit like London Grammer. Not saying I don't like it, just was unexpected.

Yes, there are tasteful touches of ambient electronica, but on the whole has a lot of picked acoustic guitar with electrick pick up throughout... try and give it another go if you can.

Mac

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Porcupine Tree have released Arriving Somewhere.... on CD and BluRay.

I bought the DVD of this when it first came out about 2005 and ripped the audio content into FLAC files and that sounds brilliant so no need to buy this new release. However if you are new to PT I would recommend this recording as a great buy, featuring the band live in Chicago in 2005 at the height of their powers.

D

Deleted member 160668

Tom Misch dropped his new album yesterday, not heard it yet but looking forward to a listen.

DIB said:
Porcupine Tree have released Arriving Somewhere.... on CD and BluRay.

I bought the DVD of this when it first came out about 2005 and ripped the audio content into FLAC files and that sounds brilliant so no need to buy this new release. However if you are new to PT I would recommend this recording as a great buy, featuring the band live in Chicago in 2005 at the height of their powers.

warszawa is also a fine live album if you can find it.

insider9

Listened to Fenne Lilly yesterday. A fine debut if that's your thing. I enjoyed it, listened to it 3 times yesterday.

Never heard of Tom Misch and listening to the new album right now. Quite an interesting Misch-match of genres. Really enjoying it, some nice bass lines, simple but very effective.

D

Deleted member 160668

Beat tape2 (1st album) is an excellent album in my opinion. Tom Misch was the soundtrack to my summer bbqs last year.

*have a listen to song Midnight Mischief by Tom Misch and Jordan Rakei. Delicious sounding - I love how sound bounces across room.

insider9

I was a little unsure having read about hip hop influences... But first hip hop vibe track is two thirds into album. Rest is more funky groove than hip hop IMO.

But album blends styles quite nicely so I don't mind a bit of rap. I probably hear more disco influences than hip hop :)

D

Deleted member 160668

Do you mean my hip hop love? Yeah I love it and have a ridiculous collection, but also a very wide musical appreciation of all types.

Tom Misch is super chilled... The rap element is Loyle Carner a super chilled rapper if he really classes as that.

Not heard new album yet but very much looking forward to it. Kinda want to wait until get hifi back. It’s not the same through headphones via phone as source.

D

Deleted member 160668

Mrs on eastenders catchup so I’m having listen now...

im seeing him live soon. Tried to buy tix for his gig and sold out in <1 min! Was annoying.

So bought tix to love saves day festival, just because he’s there.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts