New AKG Q701.....is it worth buying a dedicated headphone amp?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Womaz said:
I think eventaully after my short list become a long list and then a longer list....I decided to pop to local dealer and actually make some decisions.....I eventually did that, although it was supposed to be a weeks audition, but I like it that much its done and dusted.

I doubt I will use the pre out as I already have Arcam A85 and Arcam P85, so doubt I will benefit. The USB may get used in the future, when I understand all that stuff :)

Good luck with the Fid Audio too, as that was on my long and extra long list too :)

So in the end it was worth looking for a headphone amp , but I have had to spend £499 to get the sort of scale of improvement I was looking for. The £100 amp I actually thought sounded worse than my A85 headphone socket.

Looking forward to see if the M1 HPA gets better over the next week or so as that would be a real bonus.

Should I have spent more on my headphones I now wonder :)
Congratulations on your new amp, very nice and hopefully it will be the beginning of some more upgraditus in the near future ;)

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Womaz said:
Egg on toast

RE: buying a dedicated headphone amp?

Er no, it just means he likes the sound of this amp.....and at £600 for a headphone amp you would sincerely hope it does sound good.

So you struggled to make any waves over on Head-Fi or even a ripple so you thought you would try over here instead lol

Not sure what you mean......this is the only forum I am on as I am not a hifi buff :)
Sorry Womaz it was not directed at you

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Yes I am already thinking and wondering whether I should have splashed out on the HD800s now.....:)

Speakers next maybe......but may wait for this.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Womaz said:
Yes I am already thinking and wondering whether I should have splashed out on the HD800s now.....:)

Speakers next maybe......but may wait for this.

That's the beauty of headphones......you can have more than one pair, why not start a collection :grin:

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I already have Grado Sr80, although I am selling them to a pal, as will never use them now.

Also AKG 450 for portable listening.

I decided to sell the Grados as I love the AKG Q701s now and they would sit in my cupboard.

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
eggontoast said:
Er no, it just means he likes the sound of this amp.....and at £600 for a headphone amp you would sincerely hope it does sound good. So you struggled to make any waves over on Head-Fi or even a ripple so you thought you would try over here instead lol

:quest:

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Womaz said:
I already have Grado Sr80, although I am selling them to a pal

I stuck my Grado's on in the best part of a year earlier and immediately thought of you. They're 'orrible! And what has your mate ever done to you? lol

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts