Question Netflix Atmos with Projector and wireless atmos soundbar

newbee73131

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Hello everyone.

I have been trying to figure this out myself for several weeks but could not get the right set of information.
Please could someone recommend a projector and wireless atmos speaker set up to watch netflix movies with Atmos.

I have been reading a lot of reviews and forums but I quite cant figure this out.

I have to start from scratch as I dont have an existing system to integrate with.

Thanks in advance.

newbee73131

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I am planning to set it up in my living room which is 390 cm X 480 cm.
It is quite bright but I am going to use blackout curtains when everything is in place.
I am planning to spend 2000£ to 3000£ but it depends and its not fixed yet.

Thank you

Your options are either

1) a very large TV which will allow you to watch even in bright light (there are 75-inch options for under £2K with cheapest at less than £800, and you also get sizes upto 85 inches) with a soundbar.

2) A projector with screen. If you cannot ensure fully dark room and your walls are bright, you should invest in a good quality screen with rejects ambient light and has a high gain.

newbee73131

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I am only interested to go with the projector option.
I see people are having issues playing Netflix atmos content as there are many factors that decide if their current hardware set up is capable of playing the video and audio properly.
Could you please give me some of the hardware I would need to make it work properly.

Yes, there are many factors to take into consideration. In terms of Projector itself, there are some good value options from Optoma and BenQ. In terms of screen, look at Sapphire for example. There are more brands.

Atmos is the challenging one. If you want to do it properly, you need a minimum 5.1.2 system (2 speakers in the ceiling) and ideally 7.1.4 (4 speakers in the ceiling) connected to an AV receiver. The AVR will decode Atmos sound. Obviously, this will push up your budget significantly. You can have Atmos upfiring speakers if you don't want to drill holes which can project sound onto the ceiling while sitting on top of your rear speakers. The results will be variable depending on the quality of your ceiling etc.

You get Atmos soundbars which fire sound in different directions from one place to give Atmos effect. The results will again be extremely variable depending on how your room is.

A lot of projectors don't support Atmos and that's where you'll find the main challenge. You can have a soundbar which has an HDMI in for your source (like Sky box or 4K player) and an out to connect to your projector. So Netflix on Sky can give Atmos sound. But if you intend to just connect soundbar to the projector via HDMI and want to use the Netflix smart app in the projector, your projector will need to support Atmos. Usually, it's the higher end projectors that do that, which will again push your budget up significantly.

Bigboss has many valid points. I cannot understand the importance you place on Atmos and then insist on playing it through a soundbar that can only give a vague approximation of a decent set-up.
I haven't heard a soundbar yet that I considered worth spending my hard earned money on.
Can perhaps understand if space is an issue but it maybe isn't.

newbee73131

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
There are several reasons for this.
We spend a lot of time watching movies/ tv series by either Netflix or Amazon prime. That will be our primary source of entertainment. I know these streaming service dont actually deliver the actual ATMOS but it must be better than no atmos at all.

I would ideally like a simple set up and try to avoid large speakers with wires.
I know this will deliver the best sound and everything but I would like to keep it simple.

I was thinking to buy Samsung HW-Q90R but I have no idea how to actually connect to a ultra short throw projector and play Netflix with Atmos.

I must apologise for my last post as I am only just getting involved in AV myself.
My question would be what the projector has to do with Atmos surely it is only dealing with the video signal and it is your source device that sends the Atmos audio bit to the soundbar?

newbee73131

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
The video source in my case would be Netflix which is my biggest problem and not a Bluray player.

Ideally i would like an amplifier or a box to give me two separate output. One for video and one for audio. In that case, I would be able to set up projector in the video output and wireless atmos speakers to the audio.

Could someone please give suggest which amplifier or hardware would be able to do this.

Thank you

From what I understand, you need a no fuss wireless projector system with Atmos.

Check this out:

newbee73131

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Thank you for suggesting this but I am not too sure how this is actually solving the problem.
Please could you explain a bit more how this system would play Netflix movies in Atmos and then connect to projector.

newbee73131

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Sorry I've replied too quick without actually getting into the details. I see now from the Damson website that this actually works like AV receiver and wireless speaker as well. Very interesting piece of information.

I would like to hear more from someone who actually owns this item and hear from them if possible.

Thank you so much again for recommending this product.

newbee73131

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Thank you. I see that it would work with the TV with ARC but would this work with a projector?
DAMSON (HDMI ARC) => TV with ARC.
TV will have SKY Q to receive the video.

Is this better than Samsung Q90R ?

Yes, if it works with TV, it will work with projector. Of course, if you're planning to use Netflix app on the projector, I'm not sure about Atmos. But you can connect a source (like Roku stick etc.) to the Damson for Netflix.

Whether it's better than Samsung Q90R.......you're now getting into the complex world of TV vs projector.

The main advantages of projector are: reflected light so no eye strain, the only way to get 3D now of you're into it, cinematic feel and huge picture size for low price and maintaining compactness.

The main advantages of TV are: you can watch at anytime without necessarily having to darken the room, consistent picture quality regardless of room and light conditions, larger TVs are getting cheaper, brighter and better HDR, simplicity of setup and generally more smart features.

newbee73131

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I am sorry, I think I wasnt very clear when i said Q90R, I meant the Samsung Harman Kardon 7.1.4ch HW-Q90R soundbar.
I know there is a Samsung Q90R TV. I cant understand why they name the same model name for both TV and soundbar.

I have no plans to buy TV as I already made up my mind to buy a projector. And I love those advantages you have mentioned for the projector as well. (y)

Is Damson S series better than Samsung HW-Q90R soundbar?

The Damson sure will give a better surround sound effect. The bass in Damson is weak as per the review, not sure how good will it be in a soundbar, although a separate subwoofer suggests it may be better.

You can also go for a cheap AV receiver and you get wireless modules to make speakers wireless. So you can have a proper AV system without the wires.

newbee73131

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I was slighly worried that the surround speakers were actually battery powered in Damson. This is the reason I wanted to go with Samsung.

I would like to go for a reliable brand with good build quality as I dont want to upgrade these systems for several years.

Reactions: bigboss

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts