Netbook and a DAC or Network Audio Streamer

FahadAhmed

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

If you are on a budget and you want to play files on your computer (mostly FLAC) and internet radio to your stereo setup, which is a better option? a streamer like squeezebox or sonos or you can just hook a netbook up using a decent DAC like technologies head streamer? is the sound going to very different?

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
The overall sound will come down to the DAC used, but at any rate, will be similar regardless of cost. If you want an excellent DAC for about £90, you could try the Epiphany DAC

The rest of the system would be chosen depending on your existing equipment and how you want to use it.

I have used a netbook in the past and it was a very convenient streamer.

manicm

I think it really depends on what you want. Do you want to be able to choose your music from your armchair? Then Sonos is your friend, or if you're willing to get your hands dirty then you can turn a laptop into a remote streamer by installing Foobar software (free I think) - apparently it has an iOS app for remote control - go to the Cyrusunofficial forums - someone posted this solution there.

If you're willing to get off your armchair then a laptop and DAC will do.

Personally I am not to keen on SB as Logitech have discontinued them, and from what I've heard they're a bit finicky with a NAS.

You could also go for one of Denon's all-in-one mini system sans CD player (forget the name), and it has an iPod dock as well, streams gapless.

FahadAhmed

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
i was considering Sonos. But the problem is there is something weird with the ISP I am using which is not allowing me to setup a home network. It says the IPV6 setting is missing. If i can not set up a home network, can i still get the Sonos to stream from my computer?

TRENDING THREADS