Question Need some purchase advice

Elder71

Oct 30, 2020
Visit site
Hello everyone. First of all, if I've posted this question in the wrong place I apologise.

I need some help finding a particular kind of stereo system. I need a combined CD, radio and tape player (preferably twin tape decks with continuous play).

I need a device where all of these features, as well as on/off, can be controlled via the remote control.

This is for my dad, who is severely disabled, and depends exclusively on the remote control for listening to his music.

If anyone knows where I can get one I'd much appreciate the pointer. I've tried Amazon but otherwise I'm a bit out of my depth.

Thank you

Elder71

Oct 30, 2020
Visit site

Hello, thank
10% off this one if you subscribe

Hi, thanks for your reply.

Your first recommendation is the model I bought already and setup today, which is when I learned that the remote only operates the CD player and memory card/USB functions but none of the other features (not even on/off)

Your second link looks like it's the same make, would there likely be any difference?

Elder71

Oct 30, 2020
Visit site
I don't know. Is there a way to download a user manual before you buy? If not, email the manefacturer.

I think I'll have to. All of these product descriptions have some variation of "at the touch of a remote control", but are always vague about which features the remote operates. And a manual might help, in some cases, but the manual that came with the one I just bought just said "insert batteries and it's ready to use"

The pictures show cassette decks that seem to rely on big, clunky buttons that look like they need a firm press, just like they did back in the 70s. I wouldn't expect them to work by remote. A (very) quick look suggests that's going to be hard to get around.

Sounds like setting him up with a batch of long playlists on Spotify would be ideal, but whether he'd want to pay for it, or find it too much to take on, is a different matter. If you have something with phono inputs, you just need an adaptor and if he has (or could cope with) a smartphone or tablet (and has wifi - I realise any of these could be deal-breakers) and he could control it all, including volume.

Reactions: Al ears

Elder71

Oct 30, 2020
Visit site
The pictures show cassette decks that seem to rely on big, clunky buttons that look like they need a firm press, just like they did back in the 70s. I wouldn't expect them to work by remote. A (very) quick look suggests that's going to be hard to get around.

Sounds like setting him up with a batch of long playlists on Spotify would be ideal, but whether he'd want to pay for it, or find it too much to take on, is a different matter. If you have something with phono inputs, you just need an adaptor and if he has (or could cope with) a smartphone or tablet (and has wifi - I realise any of these could be deal-breakers) and he could control it all, including volume.

He has two systems with all the functionality he needs, they're just broken.

Would it possible to get them repaired? They're not ancient devices.

The reduced dexterity in his hands makes operating anything more complex than a remote very difficult, probably prohibitively so

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts