Need help to buy a new AV receiver

Kiran26

Mar 16, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I am looking for information and guide on buying my first receiver and speakers for home. I am novice but did a little bit research in market before posting this query. My budget is around $2000. Room size is 14 x 16 (feet).

I had a demo on:

Yamaha (675, 820) receivers with KEF (Jersey) and yamaha (NS 777) speakers.

Denon (x2000 and x3000) with KEF (Q900) and Polk (RTI a7) speakers.

Onkyo (626, 727) models with ELAC and Polk speakers.

Both Denon and Yamaha sound impressive to me. I will check Marantz coming weekend. I would like to mention that Monitor audio speakers were also available but the pair was exceeding my budget so I skipped it.

I need some suggestions to buy a good AV + speakers combination for my budget range. Also any specific information / detail I should be looking while buying a receiver, please suggest.

Thanks in advanced.

Kiran

Which combination sounded best to you? That's all that matters. All the receivers you mention are very good, although I have a slight preference for Yamaha Aventage series (820). Have an extended listen of the combination you decide for in the end.

Kiran26

Mar 16, 2014
Visit site
Both Yamaha and Denon were good. Since they were in different stores I could not get a chance to listen to both the brands using same set of speaker combination. So it is bit difficult for me to differentiate. Yamaha powered NS and Denon used Polk/KEF.

Salesman at Denon store impress a lot upon Polk A7, can you please suggest how good are these? I am very much new to some of the terminologies/brands and If there are any other good speakers within my budget range then please suggest. What about "system synergy", how do I know which speaker would sound good with A820 (e.g.), are there any recommendations for specific AVs?

I forgot to mention in my earlier post that stores were offering good discounts on outdated model, Denon 2313 would cost me same as x2000. Similarly Yamaha 820 was quite cheaper as compared to new 830. What would you suggest here, can I buy an old model and spend more on speakers or should I concentrate on latest AMPs.

Thanks again.

If you like the sound on extended listening, there is system synergy. Yamaha 820/830 is superior than the Denon X2000 and same class as 2313. Not much to differentiate in sound quality between 820 & 830, so you can save money by going for the older model. Demo the receivers with your chosen speakers.

Kiran26

Mar 16, 2014
Visit site
bigboss said:
If you like the sound on extended listening, there is system synergy.

Can you please explain it a little more or share any guides/links I can read?

Also shall I go ahead with Polk A7 or you have some recommendations for me, considering that I am choosing 820 AV.

Thanks again for quick response.

Every speaker has a characteristic sound; it may be warm, neutral or bright. Ditto with AV receivers. Warm cancels bright towards neutral. So warm receiver + bright speakers = neutral system. Similarly, bright + bright = even more bright.

Your preference for sound may be warm, neutral or bright. So if the combination matches your listening preference, there is system synergy.

I haven't heard Polk; I don't think it's available in the UK. Where do you live?

Kiran26

Mar 16, 2014
Visit site
Thats great !!

You can drop me a note about the dealer in Mumbai. I will try to reach them to see if they deliever in Banaglaore as well.

My email - baani.kirandeep@gmail.com

Thanks a ton for all your support and time.

TRENDING THREADS