NAS to DAC to HiFi

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello, first post here but I have found the forums very useful when thinking about how to set up a system and what to choose.

I have a QNAP TS109 II NAS which has all my CD's ripped to FLAC. I want to get this to my HiFi with the best sound and least cost (holy grail springs to mind). Sonos was too expensive which leaves Squeezebox. However this has drawbacks for me. The Touch is fixed so will be near the hifi and I wouldn't want to control it kneeling in front of it. The Duet has a remote I don't like. The nicest system I saw was the Teac WAP-8500 and would fit the bill. Good reviews, draws music direct from NAS or a usb drive and has a nice looking touch screen remote. However this is only generlly available in Germany so support forums are not there for me. A media player with HDD inside would do it but they all seem to be controlled through a TV screen rather than web.

So, after a lot of pondering I was about to get a Squeezebox but then started reading that they sound better through a DAC. It seems silly to me to send a digital signal from a PC or NAS only to then send the signal to a DAC. Why not send the signal direct to the DAC.

I have been searching the NAS forums and it seems that it is possible to send a decoded FLAC file out of the usb port, possibly with a bit of fiddling around with the settings. If anyone knows how, let me know! If not I'll use a laptop for now.

Then i started searching for a DAC, about £100 was ideal. The one i decided on was the FUBAR2 by Firestone, So, about to order one I went to the firestone-audio website which has a cracking offer on a new DAC, the SPITFIRE MKII. This is where, if you managed to read this far, you may be interested. It is the Spitfire which got 5 stars but with usb. So, for about £120 I am a step closer to getting my music playing.The link is on their homepage.

It should arrive December and I'll update to say how I got on. Control can be from the pc, laptop or hopefully an Android phone but that is the next thing.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts