NAS recommendation ..has to do gapless

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

ErikM

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Fwiw I just bought the DS214Play, could not be happier.. I got the 214Play since it has the most horsepower under the hood.. I did look at the Air versions but I didn't see the need for built in Wifi since that's what my Netgear Night Hawk is for.. Oh and I set mine up with two 2tb WD Red drives in a Raid , setup is fairly straight forward

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Starting the DS213 or 214 is very easy, me and spockfish had the luck that the DS was started by the synology dealer, but if that is not a possibility to you don't be afraid,the DS has the "Quick start" menu that teach you to do every thing the only thing that has to be done by you is to connect the cables... :grin:

fitting in the HDs is very easy, only two screws in each one and of you go!

my last advise will be if you have the financial disponibility to invest in 4tb HD go for it!

How many DVDs and Cds you have...?

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
spockfish said:
I think you made an excellent choice. Synology is one of the best (or even the) solutions for a NAS right now. Don't be worried about the configuration, it's a breeze, 15 minutes work. And I don't know where you from, but my dealer in the NL offers to install the disks and configure it for free.

Only remark from my side: go for the 214 if your budgets allows you to.

hi spockfish,

i see that you still have the SBT in your system, did you ever tryed to connect the NAS directly into Rega DAC through USB and controle it through your ithing, if you have a ithing...

since the first day i did that never went back, the SQ of the USB input in Rega DAC is much superior that all the others, is a completely different circuit and a better one as well! :grin:

stevenjonas

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for everyone's input. It's all been very helpful. In the end I've gone for the DS213j & 2 x 3TB HDDs. That's still more than a monkey & I've still got to decide on which satellite receiver to buy. I've got about 300 CDs & over 100 DVDs, although I don't expect I'll need to copy all of them.

In a way I do feel that I'm investing in yesterday's technology, today's being cloud based. However, cloud based storage needs internet connections with decent broadband speeds - fine in large cities, but less guaranteed elsewhere.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
stevenjonas said:
Thanks for everyone's input. It's all been very helpful. In the end I've gone for the DS213j & 2 x 3TB HDDs. That's still more than a monkey & I've still got to decide on which satellite receiver to buy. I've got about 300 CDs & over 100 DVDs, although I don't expect I'll need to copy all of them.

In a way I do feel that I'm investing in yesterday's technology, today's being cloud based. However, cloud based storage needs internet connections with decent broadband speeds - fine in large cities, but less guaranteed elsewhere.

Sorry, but a NAS is a VERY today investment, is your OWN personal cloud, you can access into it from out side your home and listen to your music, see your holidays fotos or download a document from your business!

Last year i was 400km from my home in holidays by the swimming-pool drinking mojitos listenig to my tunes through my ipad, how cool is that???? 8)

marou

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
stevenjonas said:

Sorry, but a NAS is a VERY today investment, is your OWN personal cloud, you can access into it from out side your home and listen to your music, see your holidays fotos or download a document from your business!

Last year i was 400km from my home in holidays by the swimming-pool drinking mojitos listenig to my tunes through my ipad, how cool is that???? 8)

if you mean you accessed your home-based nas from your palatial summer residence via ipad, please tell me how. Thanks.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
marou said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
stevenjonas said:

if you mean you accessed your home-based nas from your palatial summer residence via ipad, please tell me how. Thanks.

:rofl:

rental fot 2weeks!

internet WIFI in the house with DS Audio App in ipad! Easy... :grin: if a wifi is not possible you can add a internet micro card in ipad.

TRENDING THREADS