NaimUniti 2 speaker pairing agony

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
I have today auditioned the NaimUniti 2 with 3 speaker choices:

1. B&W CM5 S2

2. KEF LS50

3. B&W CM6 S2

I liked the CM5s; I found the LS50s too harsh and tiring at volume with the lightest low end; the CM6s were the best of the trio with increased sensitivity (at least I'm assuming that is what it was as I had to turn the volume down, which had been consistent for the entire test up to that point), a clearer high end and more bottom end than the others.

So, I walked away thinking that the CM6s could be the pairing for me. Then I did that silly thing and checked the review where they only received 4 stars and now I'm riddled with doubt.

To possible help me with my agonising over speaker choices, are there:

a) any other obvious speaker choices in the £1000-1500 range to partner the Naim that are a 'must-listen'?

b) any first hand experience to back up what my ears have told me after 2 hours of listening: that the CM6s are excellent speakers / hard to beat in this bracket and that they go very well with the Naim?

I'm open to any suggestions...

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
If the CM6s sounded the best to you why does it matter that they "only" got 4 stars? The LS50s are a 5 star speaker but they weren't right for you, that should tell you everything you need to know about choosing speakers based on star ratings.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Possibly the Neat Petite SX, but may not be weighty enough for you.

You might also want to try the Kef R300 (not as ruthless as the LS50s), which gives plenty of bass (but it needs a firm hand from the amp).

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Ignore the star ratings and use your ears, only you will have to listen to them so you may as well choose a pair of speakers that you like the sound of .*smile*

These ex demo PMC 22's should work very well with the naim and are a class or two above the others you tried IMO .

http://www.fanthorpes.co.uk/ex-demo/pmc-twenty-22-speakers-ex-show-stock-2216014-281061-833202.php

or maybe these is you like a slightly richer fuller sound .

http://www.fanthorpes.co.uk/pmc-speakers/pmc-tb2i-speakers-ex-show-stock-2215734-411411-832425.php

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Electro said:
Ignore the star ratings and use your ears, only you will have to listen to them so you may as well choose a pair of speakers that you like the sound of .*smile*

These ex demo PMC 22's should work very well with the naim and are a class or two above the others you tried IMO .

http://www.fanthorpes.co.uk/ex-demo/pmc-twenty-22-speakers-ex-show-stock-2216014-281061-833202.php

http://www.fanthorpes.co.uk/pmc-speakers/pmc-tb2i-speakers-ex-show-stock-2215734-411411-832425.php

..or this (pre owned): http://www.fanthorpes.co.uk/second-hand/kef-r300-standmount-speakers-in-gloss-black-2216990-418209-835373.php

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
Thanks all for the good pointers.

Regarding my ears meaning more than ratings: I know, I know. But we've all had that niggling feeling that we've missed something, right?!

The store (SSAV in Sevenoaks) had the KEF R300s, but I rashly dimissed them out of hand as 'aesthetically incompatible'. They also had the PMC Twenty 22's, but when I saw the price, I refused a listen because I reckoned I'd love them and it's oh-so-easy to reach for the credit card and blow my budget.

However, given the feedback here, I'll go back Monday PM and give both a listen in comparison to the CM6s and take it from there. Who knows, if I like the PMCs, maybe they'll sell me the demo ones and match the price on the ex-demo ones at Fanthorpes...

Hi Richard Warnett

We've found the Uniti 2 also pairs well with Focal JM Lab Aria 906's (these were partly developed with Naim electronics), ATC curved SCM7/curved SCM11 monitors and the new Raidho Acoustics Scansonic MB-1's.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
The ATC SCM11s are proving hard to ignore because they keep coming up (Best Standmounter £800-1500 2014...) and are priced well. The 'trouble' is that I'd have to buy them online to try them at home as they don't seem to be around too many places, which means it's not a true A/B comparison as all the other listening has been in a demo room.

hybridauth_Twitter_2580542364 said:
The ATC SCM11s are proving hard to ignore because they keep coming up (Best Standmounter £800-1500 2014...)

Hi Richard Warnett

Just as last year and (as with their predecessors 6 - 7 years on the trot) for good reason too
regular_smile.gif

Anyway, picking up on what you've said i'll recommend that you should try and listen to as many of the alternatives as possible and also ideally at the same time side by side.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Just to echo the comments above about star ratings. Speakers from the likes of B&W are rarely lacking, so it invariably comes down to small preferences and aesthetics.

PMC and Neat offer viable alternatives. Bear in mind too that your preferred CM6 is twice the price if the KEFs.

NeilFraser

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
If you're open to trying floor standers then I'd recommend you listen to the Linn Majik 140 speakers. I auditioned various speakers with my Unitilite and went into the shop expecting to get a pair of B&Ws. As it turned out the Linns were just more enjoyable than the various B&Ws or the Focal Arias included. They were noticably better with the UnitiLite than with the UnitiQute. I didn't audition the Uniti2 as I was sure it'd be better but I couldn't afford it! The Linns don't seem to get a star rating in What HiFi but I don't care, they're great!

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
hybridauth_Twitter_2580542364 said:
So, I walked away thinking that the CM6s could be the pairing for me. Then I did that silly thing and checked the review where they only received 4 stars and now I'm riddled with doubt.

Who cares what some magazine reviewer thinks? It doesn't matter, it's just one persons subjective opinion. If you read two reviews from two different magazines they often differ in what they think.

If the CM6's are the ones that sound right for you go for them. I would suggest you audition a few more speakers first just to be sure though.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
A point that's been made in the past by other posters on this forum and is a very valid one, is do let your listening room's acoustics decide the speakers first, then (ideally) choose the partnering source and amp that'll suit the room and the speakers afterwards. I appreciate that it might be too late for the second part of that statement!

The size and shape of your room, the necessary positioning of your furniture within it and the materials (i.e. hard & reflective surfaces like wooden floors and large windows vs. a room with thick carpeting & soft furnishings) will have a big affect on the desired end result.

There seems to be a current trend (perhaps driven by aesthetics) towards floorstanders, but there are many British homes with rooms that'll make a hearty floorstander sound awful with boomy overblown bass (even though it may have sounded great in a large shop demo room with speakers positioned 8 feet away from rear and side walls).

So I'd really recommend giving consideration to questions like;

What's the size & shape of my room? Are the size & sensitivity of the speakers and amp suited to the room?

Where will my speakers have to be positioned? How far from the rear & side walls will they need to be?

If the speakers are ported, are they rear-ported? How will this affect the sound if you try to duplicate the positioning in relation to the wall in the shop?

Think about these questions and feed the answers to your (hopefully well-informed) dealer. Frankly if your dealer hasn't asked these sort of questions I'd be questioning their motive. Are they just interested in selling you boxes quickly, or are they genuinely interested in making you a long-term happy customer who will enjoy his investment for many years to come? Their degree of interest in these topics may help you decide who should be getting your cash.

iceman16

Leeps said:
A point that's been made in the past by other posters on this forum and is a very valid one, is do let your listening room's acoustics decide the speakers first, then (ideally) choose the partnering source and amp that'll suit the room and the speakers afterwards. I appreciate that it might be too late for the second part of that statement!

The size and shape of your room, the necessary positioning of your furniture within it and the materials (i.e. hard & reflective surfaces like wooden floors and large windows vs. a room with thick carpeting & soft furnishings) will have a big affect on the desired end result.

There seems to be a current trend (perhaps driven by aesthetics) towards floorstanders, but there are many British homes with rooms that'll make a hearty floorstander sound awful with boomy overblown bass (even though it may have sounded great in a large shop demo room with speakers positioned 8 feet away from rear and side walls).

What's the size & shape of my room? Are the size & sensitivity of the speakers and amp suited to the room?

Where will my speakers have to be positioned? How far from the rear & side walls will they need to be?

If the speakers are ported, are they rear-ported? How will this affect the sound if you try to duplicate the positioning in relation to the wall in the shop?

Think about these questions and feed the answers to your (hopefully well-informed) dealer. Frankly if your dealer hasn't asked these sort of questions I'd be questioning their motive. Are they just interested in selling you boxes quickly, or are they genuinely interested in making you a long-term happy customer who will enjoy his investment for many years to come? Their degree of interest in these topics may help you decide who should be getting your cash.

+1

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Electro said:

fanthorpes

..or this (pre owned): http://www.fanthorpes.co.uk/second-hand/kef-r300-standmount-speakers-in-gloss-black-2216990-418209-835373.php

FFS, are you two getting paid for this? When did this place turn into What Fanthorpes Sound and Vision? What with this and their recent Dali threadvertising it's getting ridiculous.

EDIT: oh the irony, my quoting gets blocked for being spam until I remove the links!

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
FFS, are you two getting paid for this? When did this place turn into What Fanthorpes Sound and Vision? What with this and their recent Dali threadvertising it's getting ridiculous.

EDIT: oh the irony, my quoting gets blocked for being spam until I remove the links!

I see your point , my only intension was to provide the OP with a link to a product that I thought would meet his needs at a price he could afford , nothing more nothing less !

If you can provide a link from another company that can match or even provide a better deal then as far as I am concerned the more the better *smile*

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
The_Lhc said:

*biggrin*

I'm booking a holiday to the Caribbean from my ill gotten gains as we speak!.....I believe Electro has the room next door.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Buy the 5 star speakers. Don't settle for anything less than 5 stars because other audiophiles will never respect you and your OCD will not let you sleep ever again. If you buy B&W no one will like you, so preferably buy other 5 star speakers like those KEF LS50, they are a hit! Make sure you buy speakers with most reviews and google search results, otherwise you will have nothing to read for the following months after your purchase. Whats the point buying an obscure brand no one cares about.

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Leeps said:

+ + 1

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
Very good point.

First and foremost this system needs to play classical, especially solo piano and orchestral with piano (my son is a pianist-in-training and this system will be in the piano room).

Other strong preferences (in this order of preference) are guitar/vocal (think Damien Rice, Lisa Hannigan, José González), folk (Fleet Foxes, Wild Beasts), then current fads like Elbow. I'm not a bass-seeker as such, but like a bit of warmth.

oThe room is about 4.5m x 5.5m with a vaulted ceiling rising up to 4.2m on ine side (i.e. there's quite a lot of volume m3 in the space).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts