Naim or tubes?

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
Hello all,

I've been shopping for an integrated amplifier, and I'm really torn between the Naim Nait5i-2 and Rogue Audio Cronus. They are priced about the same here in the States, and I like them both! Which do you think might be more suitable for my musical taste? Only classical, mostly orchestral, for a small room, please.

tounra

Sep 25, 2007
Visit site
Very tough question.
Most people will argue the 'warmer' and 'softer' presentation of a valve amp would suit classical music better.
But to me (I like classical music a lot) dynamics and big bass are important as well, solid state definitely has its virtues.
(many rock and pop recording could actually benefit from some warmer and softer presentation, so why are valve amps always associated with classical and vocal music?)

But to me the most important thing in playing complex, dense textured orchestral music is clarity and refinement and have not heard both amps I simply don't know which one would be the better candidate.
Although I suspect Naims soundstage is narrower than its tubed competitor, I think it will beat the Rogue in detail.
Is this a contradiction?

A

Anonymous

i just got my very first hi-fi over the weekend, which is the Nait 5i (Mark II) and B&W 685's and im in a small room, i put Holst's Planets on and Williams' Empire Strikes Back and I was really impressed!!! i cant stop playing on it! I LOVE MY NEW HI FI!!!

sorry if i seem like a kid, but its ma first one :)

A

Anonymous

Tricky one as it really comes down to taste more than anything else. I much prefer the sound of valves and really don't know why I keep moving down the transistor route. The sound is much more natural and three dimensional. The Nait will be much more about excitement and will make you sit up and listen with an espresso in hand. The valves are more likely to be about relaxed listening. Maybe you could get one of the amps now for the style of listening that will override and then get the other amp later on.

Also, with the valve route you can experiment with different valves to see what sound you prefer. I'm sure there's better sounding valves out there than the ones supplied as this seems to be the case unless you spend an awful lot.

Only you can decide.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
tounra:Very tough question.
Most people will argue the 'warmer' and 'softer' presentation of a valve amp would suit classical music better.
But to me (I like classical music a lot) dynamics and big bass are important as well, solid state definitely has its virtues.
(many rock and pop recording could actually benefit from some warmer and softer presentation, so why are valve amps always associated with classical and vocal music?)

Not all valve products sound warm and soft. Years ago I got my first valve amplifiers (Audio Innovations) they made an ideal compromise between (at the time) an audiolab 8000S and AVI S2000 adding solidity (not over the top warmth) and a palpable sense of a live gig/performance the other two simply could not come close to. It did'nt quite have the bass extension but it really was not far off either and it completely integrated with the rest, same with the treble. That together with micro dynamics and natural way of showing detail within the greater picture made it an easy choice at the time.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
... but I have to say the question here is very unusual. Naim does not sound like any valve amplifier I know, a bit like day and night. Why not try some products in between. Vincent being just one of them.

A

Anonymous

I suppose there's the practical consideration too. I always wondered whether it would suit my lounge to have an amp that takes time to warm up, etc. I use my amp with the TV and DVD a lot, as does my gf, so maybe you have similar considerations.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Not an issue, they are useable within very short period of times. The only reason where a tube amplifier is probably not such a good idea is if young children are around.

A

Anonymous

drummerman:Not an issue, they are useable within very short period of times. The only reason where a tube amplifier is probably not such a good idea is if young children are around.

Fair play...

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:igglebert:an amp that takes time to warm up....[snip]....as does my gf

TMI, Ig, TMI.........
You're a journalist aren't you...

John Duncan

Christ no. But you might want to reword it, since it took me two readings to get what you actually meant
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:Though I am on smirting terms with Alistair Stewart.

Never mind.....

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Naim or tubes?

Could have asked Chalk or Chesse?

A good tubes amps are expensive (certainly will cost more than Nait 5). The starting point of good valve imo is the like of Puresound A30 (£1000) and even it's sound very good don't expect "the black beauty" to drive many real world pair of speakers with real conviction.

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
Yes, they are two vastly different amplifiers, but I do love the presentation of both.

The Naim will mostly likely be mated with Spendors and the Rogue Cronus will be with either Rega R5 or Devore Gibbon 8.

ÿI wish I can get them both...

ÿ

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Though I am on smirting terms with Alistair Stewart.

ÿ

I know Shep...

That's Rob Shepherd, the NOTW footie journalist. A good bloke, and exactly how you'd expect a footie journalist to be too.

ÿ

ÿ

ÿ

ÿ

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
batonwielder:
Yes, they are two vastly different amplifiers, but I do love the presentation of both.

The Naim will mostly likely be mated with Spendors and the Rogue Cronus will be with either Rega R5 or Devore Gibbon 8.

I wish I can get them both...

I would choose what initially sounds less impressive on short auditioning. You probably be glad in the long run and as you like both sounds you are not settling for second best.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts