NAIM NOVA and BW 705S2

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 108165

How much off axis on a vertical plane do you have to be for the sound to be acceptable? If you stand up does it still sound harsh?

Also being an office am I correct saying not much soft furnishing? Mostly hard surfaces? No acoustic treatment?
Looks like you may have nailed it (y)

Reactions: insider9

manicm

Looks like you may have nailed it (y)

Not so sure. 4 feet apart seems too close - and that’s between a rock and a hard place as far as toe in goes, and may be contributing to the sibilance. I’d like to know how far is gfunk’s listening position from the speakers.

At 4 feet apart I would have looked at something like the Dali Rubicon 2 where no toe in is required.

Last edited:

insider9

Not so sure. 4 feet apart seems too close - and that’s between a rock and a hard place as far as toe in goes, and may be contributing to the sibilance. I’d like to know how far is gfunk’s listening position from the speakers.

At 4 feet apart I would have looked at something like the Dali Rubicon 2 where no toe in is required.
Well spotted. Yes, 4ft is indeed not much and listening distance would be indeed a huge factor. But in the room this size there's only so much you can do distance wise.

Still this would not prevent OP from getting a good sound as long as the components are right and some room treatment is used.

D

Deleted member 108165

4 foot triangle with listener at the apex should nail it :) In all honesty this is not a system set-up for stereo listening, it's more for ambient background music playback.

gfunk

Feb 21, 2021
Visit site
4 foot triangle with listener at the apex should nail it :) In all honesty this is not a system set-up for stereo listening, it's more for ambient background music playback.

Hey guys, I purchased from Crutchfield--they recommended the setup. You guys might be right in terms of the harsh sound being because of the hard surfaces. My listening distance is roughly 6 feet away..

D

Deleted member 108165

Hey guys, I purchased from Crutchfield--they recommended the setup. You guys might be right in terms of the harsh sound being because of the hard surfaces. My listening distance is roughly 6 feet away..
Not in any way trashing what you have bought, set-up and listening room are the important factors here. For every system some compromises are inevitable.

Reactions: insider9

manicm

Can you grasp how much the Nova costs? Or the 705 S2 costs? And if it’s not made for a stereo setup then what is?

Were you drunk or high while typing your reply?

manicm

No hifi dealer worth their salt would have suggested a 6000 pound system for you with speakers 4 feet apart, and with a listening position 6 feet away. No amount of room correction will fix this too.

gfunk, you have a fantastic system, but your listening environment is fundamentally compromised for such a setup.

Crutchfield just wanted to sell you something, and that was the sum total of their service, if you could even call it that.

D

Deleted member 108165

Can you grasp how much the Nova costs? Or the 705 S2 costs? And if it’s not made for a stereo setup then what is?

Were you drunk or high while typing your reply?
Yes, I am fully aware of how much this gentleman's kit cost. And no, I am teetotal sir and whilst I do smoke it's only the legal stuff.

What you seem to have completely misunderstood in my post is that I was alluding to exactly what you have written in your post: The way this system is currently set up is not going to be of any use as a stereo system. In a different room or setting this could sound excellent. Does this now make sense?

I guess I should have made my point a little clearer.

Reactions: manicm

manicm

Yes, I am fully aware of how much this gentleman's kit cost. And no, I am teetotal sir and whilst I do smoke it's only the legal stuff.

What you seem to have completely misunderstood in my post is that I was alluding to exactly what you have written in your post: The way this system is currently set up is not going to be of any use as a stereo system. In a different room or setting this could sound excellent. Does this now make sense?

I guess I should have made my point a little clearer.

Ah ok, point taken, I can’t believe Crutchfield.

D

Deleted member 108165

Maybe Crutchfield weren't fully aware of the intended room or placement, then again maybe they just wanted commission from another sale...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts