Difficulties with Naim Uniti Nova and lengthy repair time

bigmoose

May 9, 2009
Visit site
Hello,

Just wondered if anyone else had difficulties with Naim or if I'm just unlucky.

I (regretfully) swapped my trusty Linn system for a Naim Uniti Nova a year ago - To be honest, I was overjoyed the first few months but right after the first Firmware update... Oh boy! Just issues after issues, and now the amp seems to have blown which means I had to send it back to repair. I'm now without system for more than 3 weeks with no ETA in sight.

Has anyone else had more experience with Naim after-sales service & product updates? I'm absolutely not using/integrating the product in any complicated way. It is also frustrating to see they keep the unit for so long with no update, when the standard warranty is only 2 years (We are talking about a £4k+ system here). I had to send my Linn for repair, and it took 1 week from the day I sent it.

Unless I'm an unfortunate exception, I'm now looking at going back to Linn and never look at Naim again. Anyone can share a better/more positive experience with Naim, or should I just ditch my system?

Thanks!

Gray

As this is a public forum, there's a chance that someone at Naim will see this thread.
If I were in your position, I'd ensure that someone important there gets to see it.
They'll see how, for the first three months, you were overjoyed - that will please them.
Then they'll see how unhappy you currently are - and, more importantly, they'll know that everyone else can see how unhappy you are.
For that reason, they will want a satisfactory outcome to the situation as much as you do.
Considering your outlay, they should be only too happy to restore your faith and their reputation.

bigmoose

May 9, 2009
Visit site
The issue really seem to be with their Firmware update. I have no doubt the hardware is top material, and the build is second to none - Honestly, the Unity Nova is built like a tank.
I wish I could downgrade to the original Firmware and never upgrade. I found other reported issues with other Naim Streamers... And coincidentally, they share the same firmware!

I was really hoping to keep the Naim few more year before thinking about replacing it, but now that Linn came out with the Selekt DSM, I'm really looking at coming back to the brand I trust. NAD will also be releasing the M33, but I never had experience with NAD before.

I will post on Naim's Forum, just in case. Thanks for your replies so far! 🙏

D

Deleted member 116933

I had rotten luck with a naim dac v1 i had three replacements and all had the same interment DSP fault. Its not mentioned much, if at all on any forum . Either people put up with it and think of it as a quirk an just restart the unit. BUT having said they did try and solve the problem but naim being naim they do take there time. First repair took 8 weeks and a lot of chasing by the dealer. Never had a problem with naim amplification but the whole process put a bad test in the mouth and i ended up selling up the lot and was lucky enough not to loose any money as naim had a few price hikes while i had there gear and it kept its value well.

moved over to chord and sugden and it has put a foot wrong. sorry to say i wouldn't touch them again BUT i stress thats my personal experience and there are many happy customers out there.

But yes they take an age to do things, they're a small company with limited resources and i get the feeling they're right on the edge of actually having to out source their products for manufacture. Hope your get it back soon.

bigmoose

May 9, 2009
Visit site
I finally got my Naim back and it is working great again - Fingers crossed it stays that way. I understand they might be a small company, but so is Linn - Linn also provide the same after-sales service but I found their turnaround much faster.

Ultimately, we are talking about gear that cost £1000's. I think Linn understands that - They do not offer any product that can really be considered "entry-level" or mainstream, but their after-sales is faultless.

@millennia_one : I agree there is probably a lot of happy Naim owners out there. I sure hope I'm part of a minority. Unfortunately, I found I'm not alone facing issues with their streamers, which again I suspect is down the software issues since they all share the same firmware.

I will keep the Naim for now and see how it behaves, but to be honest, I'm very close to going back to Linn.

D

Deleted member 116933

I finally got my Naim back and it is working great again - Fingers crossed it stays that way. I understand they might be a small company, but so is Linn - Linn also provide the same after-sales service but I found their turnaround much faster.

Ultimately, we are talking about gear that cost £1000's. I think Linn understands that - They do not offer any product that can really be considered "entry-level" or mainstream, but their after-sales is faultless.

@millennia_one : I agree there is probably a lot of happy Naim owners out there. I sure hope I'm part of a minority. Unfortunately, I found I'm not alone facing issues with their streamers, which again I suspect is down the software issues since they all share the same firmware.

I will keep the Naim for now and see how it behaves, but to be honest, I'm very close to going back to Linn.

Thats good to know, hope goes well

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts