Naim Nait 5i-2 or Nait XS for MA RX1

RS0882

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Dear All,

So I have recently had the wonderful opportunity to listen to both these amps with my monitor audio RX1s, but I'm still in limbo... Well maybe half limbo.

The 5i sounded very lively, engaging and interesting and with some music it really gave you the feeling that you were actually there. On the other side though it was sometimes tiring to listen too for long sessions or when you just want to sit back and enjoy and not be pushed.

The XS was far more laid back. It took me some time to spot the difference between that and playing stereo through my Marantz AV6005 receiver. Slowly (as the amp warmed up) however i did notice the incredible control and detail this amp offers, and especially at slightly higher volumes. The sound was far more comfortable, still detailed and the low end control was simply amazing. You could listen to this for hours...

My question to you guys is what should I do? The XS is almost twice the cost, but I do think I will upgrade my speakers in the future (hopefully back to floorstanders) so the XS mighy be better. However, can i warrant the investment for such small speakers. As you can see my decision is practically made, but I just need that push from fellow enthusiasts!

Thanks!

RS

A

Anonymous

hi

I know it may seem a lot of money for the naim xs but it's worth it, i'm currently using the bx2 speakers and i think that they are the best speakers that i have used with my naim setup.

when you say you get the feeling your actully there it's the same with bx2 the voices really sound like they in my living room so having the rx1's (which i did read from a forum member they are the bargain of the year.) i think you really enjoy the combo for many many years.

i was always under the impression that naim and monitor audio wasn't a very good match but to my ears they are a match made in heaven.

i would love to try the rx1 in my system because i think they would sound amazing but at the moment the bx2 amaze me everytime i hear them(for me they are the bargain of the year)

naim nait xs + ma rx1 = lay back and enjoy

regards 80' boy

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
RS0882 said:
The XS is almost twice the cost, but I do think I will upgrade my speakers in the future (hopefully back to floorstanders) so the XS mighy be better. However, can i warrant the investment for such small speakers.

The size of the speaker is irrelevant - there are some extremely high quality small speakers out there. Plus, small speakers are generally less efficient, so need better amplification. An XS will give you greater choice in choosing your next loudspeaker too.

I agree. If you can possibly afford the XS you will never regret it. Your current speakers are capable of revealing far more than you can imagine, and will sound way better with your new amp. You might decide not to 'upgrade' them, so the amp really will be a bargain then!

RS0882

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for your responses.

The update is definetely happening, but I'm just doubting between the 5i or XS. I am wondering what you're experiences were on these matters. Do you agree with the 5i getting tiring after a while? Or was it not run in properly?

Regarding whether I can afford the XS, I can but it's a big dent... I listen trhough sonos and for the money I can get a 5i and a very nice DAC. Or get the XS and wait a few months for a musical fidelity v-DAC II. AHHHHH :help:

RS

stumpy66

Jan 1, 2008
Visit site
I eventually went for the xs amp, i didnt like the sound of the 5i when i went for a demo, it was almost painful to my ears and it was a well used demo of the 5i. i knew i couldnt live with the sound and was contemplating going elsewhere. When the xs amp was connected up it was a whole different experience, sounded so much better. I was hoping to either get the uniti or 5i amp/cd but decided to spend what i had on the xsamp.

IMHO it is worth getting the xs, i have had mine for around a year now and never ahve i found it tiring, if i had went for the 5i i would have and would have been on the upgrade ladder again.

If your finding its tiring then i would stay well clear.

RS, you described it perfectly in your first post. That is my experience with many ranges of amps, not just Naim. It is precisely what you should look (well, listen) for, IMO.

Recently I have heard various Naims in the hierarchy on their summer roadshows, and a great 282/250 system with PMC fact.8 speakers. The latter amps might be 4 times the cost of an XS but the same principles apply - they just get easier to listen to. Or a bit more like 'live' music actually!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts