Nagaoka MP100 cartridge stylus upgrade?

Qwerty5oo

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Rookie question, can you stick a JN P200 stylus into a MP100 cartridge, and notice £100 worth of difference?

I know its probably going against the H Fi ethos, but worth an ask!

Qwerty5oo said:
Rookie question, can you stick a JN P200 stylus into a MP100 cartridge, and notice £100 worth of difference?

You can but noticing £100 worth of difference is doubtful but I cannot say for sure as I have never tried it. You will get a boron cantilever and an elliptical diamond tip.

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Qwerty5oo said:

I was very impressed with the MP-200 having used one for about 18 months. Although I haven't heard the 100, I'd encourage you to try the 200. As for the comment regarding it being worth the money, that is subjective. You'll never know the answer unless you try.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Qwerty5oo said:

My understanding is that the MP-100 is compatible with the MP-110, the MP-150 with the MP-200, and the MP-300 with the MP-500, in the sense that each of the two cartridges in those pairs uses the same cartridge base (not sure what that's called), so that if for example you put a JN-P200 onto a MP-150 base, you will in effect have a complete MP-200.

Whether the JN-P200 is compatible with the MP-100 base in the sense of physically fitting to it and producing a reasonable sound, I don't know. I assume it is, as they all look the same in shape. However, there are better components in the MP-200 base than the MP-100 base (compare the specs for MP-110 with those for MP-200, so in theory you won't get as good a sound from a combo of MP-100 base with JN-P200 stylus as you would from a complete MP-200 cartridge (or from a combo of MP-150 base with JN-P200 stylus). I'd guess (and this is only a mildly educated guess) that your proposed combo would sound better than your MP-100, but £100 better? I have no idea.

This is only assumption from reading a bit of literature about Nag cartridges when trying to decide on buying one for myself. There may be some incorrect stuff in there.

To make sure you get the best results, it might be best to upgrade to an MP-150 now, and then next time the tip needs replacing, get a JN-P200 to mount onto it. That way you'll be sure to get the full effect of the extra money; you might be losing out in quite a lot of quality by mounting JN-P200 on MP-100.

Urgh, too many numbers in that post! Hope it's useful, anyway.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
You need to realise that a TT is a sum of all parts

Whatever tweak you do will make a difference - it could be minute - but add all these and it does make a difference.

is your current MP100 stylus worn out ?

For the price of a MP200 v MP200 stylus you may as well save up and get the MP200 complete - now that will make a difference.

The MP200 is a lovely little cartridge to - A boron Cantilever ( less resonanace ? )

If you google Audiokazu - this guys sells Nagaoka from Japan - they work out cheaper than buying from UK even with import tax

I have ordered 3 Nagaokas from him over the years - never had a problem whatsoever - all 3 arrived within 16 days.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts