Nagaoka Headshell vs Stock Headshell

Forever Young

Jul 28, 2016
Visit site
Yeah yeah OK, a Technics 1200 is considered a DJ deck. I looked into replacing my Sony DD DJ decks with a hifi deck. Anything within budget, just didn't seem very sturdy. Many, wouldn't even allow me to easily change speed. So I plumped for the Technics. I knew what I was getting. It's well made. My Sony, which was pretty similar, always sounded good enough to me. I use my Technics with a nearly half kilo record weight/clamp and a perspex mat but no major upgrades.

I've got a couple of old headshells. One is generic, the other is Stanton. I've never really thought about them too much before now. I've used an ortofon concorde type dj cart before now. I'd had my eye on the Ortofon 2m range for a while. Thought the one with built in headshell seemed like a neat idea.

I recently bought a Nagaoka MP 110 with headshell. Then I decided to buy a Technics headshell, so my deck would be complete. Which should I use? Or will it make no difference? Is it better to use the cartridge manufacturers headshell, or the stock headshell, from the turntable manufacturer?

Forever Young said:
Yeah yeah OK, a Technics 1200 is considered a DJ deck. I looked into replacing my Sony DD DJ decks with a hifi deck. Anything within budget, just didn't seem very sturdy. Many, wouldn't even allow me to easily change speed. So I plumped for the Technics. I knew what I was getting. It's well made. My Sony, which was pretty similar, always sounded good enough to me. I use my Technics with a nearly half kilo record weight/clamp and a perspex mat but no major upgrades.

I've got a couple of old headshells. One is generic, the other is Stanton. I've never really thought about them too much before now. I've used an ortofon concorde type dj cart before now. I'd had my eye on the Ortofon 2m range for a while. Thought the one with built in headshell seemed like a neat idea.

I recently bought a Nagaoka MP 110 with headshell. Then I decided to buy a Technics headshell, so my deck would be complete. Which should I use? Or will it make no difference? Is it better to use the cartridge manufacturers headshell, or the stock headshell, from the turntable manufacturer?

Presumably the Nag is already pre-aligned in that headshell. If that's the case use it. If you are happy setting up cartridges then try the other headshell and see if you can detect any difference.

Forever Young

Jul 28, 2016
Visit site
Nagaoka was just slightly back, according to the overhang gauge. I moved it forwards a little bit. Will run it in and then try the other headshell.

No point yet, as the sound is improving constantly. So far, I find I can hear some things up in the treble, I couldn't hear before. There's a lot of treble but it's not all that clear. Snares, high hats, and symbols stand out and become tiresome. Midrange is pretty lacking. Bass is good, strong and deep sometimes. It sounds fairly monotone. It plays deep bass, but it's not melodic. You don't hear the bass line go for a walk. It sounds like the drummer is hitting the same drum, not different drums. ZZ Top Eliminator album just sounds flat. A couple of dance records I'm used to having window rattling bass, lack that driving bass. Led Zep sounds amazing. Voices are vastly improved. Guitars sound good. All of the negatives I mention, do seem to be slowly improving. I'm hoping it will become less monotone and more musical. I hope the mids will start to come out, and it's brightness will either mellow, or blend with the mids, if they ever show themselves. Those are my first impressions, on day one, with the Nagaoka.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts