NAD or Marantz with MA RX 6 speakers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Buy the NAD and see how that works for you (dont forget you'll need to run it for a good few days before it'll sound at its best)

If you dont like it return it and then try the Marantz and do the same.

If neither are for you then you know you've tried those options and will then have to look down a different route

Give the Marantz CR603 a bash; I've heard it with the M/A RX6's a few times now and it's a superb combo. That and some good Chord speaker cable and IMO you're laughing ;)

T

the record spot

poldo said:
You can find a Roksan Caspian mk1 for 575 euro on Marktplaats.nl, you could check that one out.

If you can land this one for that price, I'd be all over it in a shot. Then follow up with the NAD or the Marantz thereafter. No contest between the three really. The original Caspian was well regarded across the board.

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
It is these Roksan with a min. price of 700,-- Euro.

http://audio-tv-foto.marktplaats.nl/versterkers-en-receivers/514475485-roksan-caspian-m1-geintegreerd-versterker-z-g-a-n.html?return=eJwtjMsKwjAQRf%2Bl0C7zsF0lBKl%2FEtpIQl5DJkVR%2FHen6Oqec%2B8wVkn1DkpoVHJZ1IDOts1r3zsozmMFV1i2LXZI1nZkJfHfCQMP12cyctrR9DrOqxzn2x4IKFOnfAUgxPuO%2FxXOVhBkGtZyZNfCRhofpK1GtIWs4vnkMgEcRgz68wXkBTOe&df=1&fta=eNotjdEOgjAMRf9lDz4zQRlt%2BAV%2FgVQ7dHHAQocSjf9uMb6d9uaeS1DDW8CBWebYPSiKQYGj3mts7Y6lzRNY5AAYM7xCQulZ9JMyFDgkGJfBz%2BGC9yfM011oxEkC7HcpLW2xuSowia7eYNCWQAkm8G%2Bk0sR6upSOm9V6tuTqswJRdWBWaJwve6%2Fgelsf3NaxWs9TIpYu%2BvGab5u20KABM9DabUsq59%2FUHgw9DZ7%2B%2BDBIUMD78%2FkCqhpNFQ%3D%3D&fta_ind=3&fs=1

But i read reviews from owners of the Roksan who said very nice amp., but not for (metal)rock.

poldo

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
http://audio-tv-foto.marktplaats.nl/versterkers-en-receivers/513336318-roksan-caspian-versterker-compleet-met-afstands-bediening.html?return=eJw1jdEKgjAUht9F0EvdnGFNJPIqeouxGQ51O3gmWdG7d0Z2933%2F%2BeAoyeXbStagLHktE%2BzVoodmCAFkUYweepfPahkDTEoFzN1U%2FJIcBjhvU8szg23wqbjwVHSwEjACYwniAPswBYKXJe3wbvDfh%2F08x86tc79YHeuN9Fiz%2BhTlSVIJxkVFNj7IFj%2Bicml5KJlWCJZYdB7j0zIDWFuWgcegvelbwWt%2BvSXN5wvbTkeG&df=1&fta=eNotjsFugzAMQP8l0jgnhA2wxb3aYb%2BALJJ2UVNi4dCyVf33BbTbk209P4IWngIdqHWJ452iKBQwtQW1xcFUToacwCCvoNEFQOYCMcNvYJSzk32Xy%2BjGMK83v4QJ4wZdq9se4w80Vhvb4PUBS7oKzW%2B1nkg40IxJAtQV8zroipPkKTk%2FWNOa0%2Bfe0IBiuniFobwQKEHBHXH1ByjjabKd67cC1Lw7V6DvvD37I78c58TkZIx%2BvuTvXaLLogd1o23cvUXlDnENih4Kv%2F7xrpBAw%2FP1%2BgOYyFhv&fta_ind=3&fs=1

but i think it is an older model sorry

peterpan said:
It is these Roksan with a min. price of 700,-- Euro.

http://audio-tv-foto.marktplaats.nl/versterkers-en-receivers/514475485-roksan-caspian-m1-geintegreerd-versterker-z-g-a-n.html?return=eJwtjMsKwjAQRf%2Bl0C7zsF0lBKl%2FEtpIQl5DJkVR%2FHen6Oqec%2B8wVkn1DkpoVHJZ1IDOts1r3zsozmMFV1i2LXZI1nZkJfHfCQMP12cyctrR9DrOqxzn2x4IKFOnfAUgxPuO%2FxXOVhBkGtZyZNfCRhofpK1GtIWs4vnkMgEcRgz68wXkBTOe&df=1&fta=eNotjdEOgjAMRf9lDz4zQRlt%2BAV%2FgVQ7dHHAQocSjf9uMb6d9uaeS1DDW8CBWebYPSiKQYGj3mts7Y6lzRNY5AAYM7xCQulZ9JMyFDgkGJfBz%2BGC9yfM011oxEkC7HcpLW2xuSowia7eYNCWQAkm8G%2Bk0sR6upSOm9V6tuTqswJRdWBWaJwve6%2Fgelsf3NaxWs9TIpYu%2BvGab5u20KABM9DabUsq59%2FUHgw9DZ7%2B%2BDBIUMD78%2FkCqhpNFQ%3D%3D&fta_ind=3&fs=1

But i read reviews from owners of the Roksan who said very nice amp., but not for (metal)rock.

Clearly for rock the best amp I've heard is the Exposure 2010S. Doesn't have the power of the Roksan or the bass depth of the Nad but for pure rock/grunge styles, little beats the Exposure.

T

the record spot

Enjoy! The extended bass of the NAD will do you nicely. Have a good time introducing your new amp to the rest of your system! :cheers:

A

Anonymous

Glad you're sorted now :clap:

With having owned that amp and the M?A RX6's I'd highly recommend the Chord Carnival Silverscreen speaker cable and the likes of the Chord CrimsonPlus or CobraPlus interconnects

Dont use anything with silver (i.e. QED Silver Anniversary) and same with interconnects; they'll just open up the top end too much. It wont be harsh but it wont be smooth either!

T

the record spot

No need to go mad on cables; multistrand copper (322, 400/500+ or similar) will do you nicely. Ten metres can be had online for less than £20. Interconnects, something like QED's Qunex 2 or 3 will do as well as anything. Cheaper can be had, so it's up to you. The biggest changes come through components, bits of cables come some way down the list thereafter.

A

Anonymous

the record spot said:
No need to go mad on cables; multistrand copper (322, 400/500+ or similar) will do you nicely. Ten metres can be had online for less than £20. Interconnects, something like QED's Qunex 2 or 3 will do as well as anything. Cheaper can be had, so it's up to you. The biggest changes come through components, bits of cables come some way down the list thereafter.

Horses for courses RS; you know that ;)

I've done multistrand copper cable like your suggestion against QED and Chord cables and found the Chord to sound the best for me; that's with a seperates system and my CR603 system.

Everyones hearing is different and for me; I felt that the Chord cabling gave the best soundstage

hifilover1979 said:
the record spot said:

Horses for courses RS; you know that ;)

I've done multistrand copper cable like your suggestion against QED and Chord cables and found the Chord to sound the best for me; that's with a seperates system and my CR603 system.

Everyones hearing is different and for me; I felt that the Chord cabling gave the best soundstage

Totally concur - I've always maintained that cable differences are generally subtle, and I've seen nor heard anything to change my mind. Before buying Chord cables I had for many years cheapo copper Gale cables from Richer Sounds - absolutely fine. I did, however, notice that once I added Chord the change was noticable, although TBH it wasn't 'smack between they eyes' different.

T

the record spot

hifilover1979 said:

Ah the old "everyone's hearing is different" line. Rapidly coming up on the heels of "night and day". Well, that;s just dandy-doo mate, but in the end, for all the cables I've had - and there's been a good few now - the changes were at best minimal. The very smallest margin. The Atlas Navigators I have just now are subtly (as PP rightly phrases it) different from the coax.

I bought the coax cable new - Fisual - for about £4 off Amazon. The Atlas I got in a sale off Ebay, new, last year. £80 down from about £200-odd. I'd suggest for the differences that there, the Fisual is by far and away the better bet.

As for speaker cable, I've had Audioquest Type IV and the multistrand I use just now. At something like £12/m and not major differences in sound quality exhibited, the multistrand is clearly a more cost effective option, with no degradation in performance. That money saved can go towards the cost of the stuff that really matters, the components themselves.

Needless to say, I'm sure you can guess my views on a cables "soundstage", but suffice to say, if I wanted a cable to do that, I'm missing the point of buying the hardware in the first place.

As you say though, horses for courses. 8)

T

the record spot

plastic penguin said:
Totally concur - I've always maintained that cable differences are generally subtle, and I've seen nor heard anything to change my mind. Before buying Chord cables I had for many years cheapo copper Gale cables from Richer Sounds - absolutely fine. I did, however, notice that once I added Chord the change was noticable, although TBH it wasn't 'smack between they eyes' different.

Exactly. As I said in the earlier post, the minor difference exhibitied by the Atlas over the Fisual doesn't merit a £220 price difference. Chord, Audioquest, Wireworld...they all play around with the same material; copper. Hardly surprising then that cables don't sound particularly different.

The other amusing claim that one's system isn't "revealing" enough is pretty much tripe IMO. I've used different cables with different gear from my old Sansui amps up to Harman's HK990 or Leema's Pulse II. My CDP is £600-worth and my preference for speakers is to go for the more revealing type. Same result.

Upshot: if you're happy to pay inflated prices for a "name" cable, then fill yer boots I say. Not for me though.

A

Anonymous

the record spot said:
plastic penguin said:

Exactly. As I said in the earlier post, the minor difference exhibitied by the Atlas over the Fisual doesn't merit a £220 price difference. Chord, Audioquest, Wireworld...they all play around with the same material; copper. Hardly surprising then that cables don't sound particularly different.

The other amusing claim that one's system isn't "revealing" enough is pretty much tripe IMO. I've used different cables with different gear from my old Sansui amps up to Harman's HK990 or Leema's Pulse II. My CDP is £600-worth and my preference for speakers is to go for the more revealing type. Same result.

Upshot: if you're happy to pay inflated prices for a "name" cable, then fill yer boots I say. Not for me though.

Thats it though RS; everyone to their own...

You always play the 'multistrand copper cable' card though whereas I feel it's better to offer a choice and NOT just an opinion!

Let the OP or whomever then make their own choice from there... ;)

T

the record spot

hifilover1979 said:

You always play the 'multistrand copper cable' card though whereas I feel it's better to offer a choice and NOT just an opinion!

Sorry, I didn't realise you were in the trade. It's not down to me to offer a choice; I'm not selling anything. There are many places where someone can find info about branded cables or interconnects. Better, I think, to highlight the alternatives that I do and direct people who might be interested to check out not only cheaper cables (it's the same material fundamentally) but to sites like Roger Russell's who explain what a wire can or can't do. It's that simple.

No issues from me re: people making up their own minds, but it always helps if the playing field's level.

the record spot said:
plastic penguin said:

I'm not quite as reticent as you when it comes to cables. I did say "generally" the difference is fairly subtle, however, if a person's system does err on the brightish side and want to tame it slightly then Chord SilverScreen will do it (I'm sure there are other makes just as competent, but I'm quoting from my personal experience). Likewise, if a system is warm and woolly then QED Silvers will do a job nicely.

T

the record spot

Reticence from having spent the money based on what the magazines mentioned and finding the "actual" didn't meet the "proposed" - a lot of hype and little substance. Read up on what these things can and can't do and left the nonsense behind. After buying the Onkyo, that was the other best thing I got out of hifi!

the record spot said:
Reticence from having spent the money based on what the magazines mentioned and finding the "actual" didn't meet the "proposed" - a lot of hype and little substance. Read up on what these things can and can't do and left the nonsense behind. After buying the Onkyo, that was the other best thing I got out of hifi!

There are some people who swear by cables and others, like yourself, attach little importance to outlay on cables. Personally, I don't mind admitting, sitting on the fence: "Yes, they can make a difference but..."

Anyway, let's not turn the thread into a 'cable brawl'
smiley-wink.gif

poldo

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Cables are the finishing touch of your system, it will sound good with cheap ass cables and sound better with better cables or worse if you choose a bad matched cable.

I would never buy it blind and demo it at home, most shop will give you some cables to test at home in your own system.

A

Anonymous

the record spot said:
hifilover1979 said:

Sorry, I didn't realise you were in the trade. It's not down to me to offer a choice; I'm not selling anything. There are many places where someone can find info about branded cables or interconnects. Better, I think, to highlight the alternatives that I do and direct people who might be interested to check out not only cheaper cables (it's the same material fundamentally) but to sites like Roger Russell's who explain what a wire can or can't do. It's that simple.

No issues from me re: people making up their own minds, but it always helps if the playing field's level.

I'm not; no need to be sarcastic...!

I'm merely stating that you ALWAYS play the 'cheaper unbranded copper cable' card whereas you could say try that AND some branded cable and let the OP or person asking for advice to make their own decision...

T

the record spot

You're not reading carefully enough then; more often than not, I'll mention QED Qunex, as an alternative or if the buyer wants a brand name. For speaker cable , I'd have suggested Audioquest Type IV, but that's now £12 a metre. I used that for over a decade, so I couldn't recommend something specific beyond throw names out.

Of course, you could point the same grievance at Rick from Musicraft...

I'm assuming that if someone has come to this site, they know how to use a computer. I'll make a further assumption that they'll have the means to use a search engine and type in the words "hifi interconnects" or "speaker cable", or similar and by doing so, they'll access any number of options therein. Or they'll look at the buying guide.

My take on any of this is that the level of priority given to cables and some of the questionable claims made outweighs the importance of a bit of copper (or silver) linking two components together.

However, you've missed the point; if I don't see cables as being a means to tune a system, it wouldn't do much good for me to recommend something else beyond the QED or very occasionally, Audioquest.

Hope that answers your query (and I thought you may have gone into the trade by the way).

EDIT: If it's any consolation, I DID splash out on an HDMI cable when I bought my Blu-ray player the other month. A £30 Hitachi. Didn't have one at home and couldn't be bothered traipsing round to Tesco to get one of theirs. The Hitachi looked nice though and it works. See, that's over £100 on two interconnects in less than a year...!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts